cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent E4GT to Samsung for GPS issue, LCD replaced instead?

Journeyman

Sent E4GT to Samsung for GPS issue, LCD replaced instead?

My E4GT is off at Samsung for repair.  Pleas check this out and tell me if this makes sense.

I sent the phone off because my GPS and CDMA reception had gotten bad. I mean REALLY bad, worse than my other friends with the same phone.

That being said, here's the online repair log as of today from Samsung:

*09/11/2012//13:10:06//0001773863//Web Chat//ASC*

9/11/2012 12:08 PM-Tai: The unit has left the technician. SOLUTION: Replaced LCD

*09/10/2012//11:44:56//0001773863//Web Chat//ASC*

*Scratches on rear*

*09/08/2012//09:37:02//0001773863//Web Chat//ASC*

9/8/2012 8:35 AM-David Vera: Accessory: BATTERY COVER

*09/08/2012//09:37:01//0001773863//Web Chat//ASC*

9/8/2012 8:35 AM-David Vera: The unit has been received. Pack Condition:

Why in the world would they replace my LCD for these symptoms?  Is there some compenent of GPS built in to the LCD?  I don't get it.

Anyone have any experience to share?

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Sent E4GT to Samsung for GPS issue, LCD replaced instead?

I called Samsung.  The phone tech support basically had no more info than the tracking tool provided.  She just kept saying an issue was found with the LCD screen and it was replaced, quality control checks on other components passed.

Bewilders the heck out of me guys.

We'll see when I get it back in a few days I guess.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Oh, it gets even better!  Here's the email I just got from them completing my service request:

Original Problem:
TECHNICAL INQUIRY - GPS - WEAK SIGNAL/COVERAGE ERROR DISPLAYED

Problem found:
WI-FI FAILURE

Solution:
REPLACED LCD   

Master

That does seem a little strange   I can't think of a reason to change out the LCD for a GPS issue or for a WiFi issue  But who knows how things are wired.  Let us know if the device is working properly.

Journeyman

The phone doesn't even have an LCD.

I sent mine in for repair #3 because GPS is dead (1 flickering satellite in GPS Test) and the phone keeps switching to roaming with no service.  I'll see what they state as the fix.  Last time they said they said, "S/W UPDATED," which was a way of saying that they did nothing and my GPS was still unreliable.

Journeyman

After tweeting Samsung, I finally got a phone call today from Corporate.

They explained that there is a grounding point on the display assembly that was common to the GPS that was faulty.  That's why the display was replaced.

So far, it has been working better, but I've only been able to use it maybe three times.  We'll see how it goes.

It was nice to get a phone call with an explanation.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat