cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent my phone to Samsung for "Repair" because of awful GPS - wish me luck

Journeyman

Re: Sent my phone to Samsung for "Repair" because of awful GPS - wish me luck

The GPS continues to work well.  Just got back from Florida and no GPS issues at all - was able to get and maintain signal when I needed it.

But...have confirmed that there is something wrong with wi-fi.  Unable to login to some access points.  Others, barely get wi-fi signal when other devices in same range have no problems.  At home, can't even use my own wi-fi network. 

At the hotel in Destin, had to use 3G the whole time, wi-fi wouldn't work or was so slow to be unusable.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This a bummer.  Sorry to hear about your phone.  Are you going to send it back to Samsung?

Journeyman

Yes, I think I'm going to have to.  I could take it to the sprint store and get a replacement through them, but the problem with that is the last two times I did that for the GPS, I just got phones sent to me that had the same GPS problems.  Now I have working GPS, and don't want to lose it.  So I think I'm going to have to call Samsung back and request another repair.

Looks like I will be without a phone this time during the repair, because I gave the evo 3d I was using to my daughter.  And besides I don't want to spend 2 x $36 to activate a temp phone then reactivate my samsung when I get it back.

Sprint, until I got this phone, I had been fine with Sprint.  But will be looking very closely at changing companies, once these two year agreements are close enough to being done that they can't screw me on the disconnect fee.

Journeyman

I can't help but laugh at people that use these forums for problems and issues. You won't , will not ,ever get the answers or resoultion you're seeking. Sprint CANNOT provide it.

So, to your post. The GPS functionality on this phone is ABSOLUTELY ABYSMAL. If HTC can do anything correctly, it's GPS.

Samsung would do well to take a page from their book.

To fix the problem, YES I SAID FIX. You need to root your phone and install H3llStorms GPS fix. Once you learn about the equipment you hold in your hand you'll then understand you can take matters into your own hands as opposed to waiting on corporate suits to figure it out. It'll take longer than it needs to be, before they figure out they're going to get paid, and too consumed by press to focus on the issue. The CUSTOMER SERVICE issue. The fact that they're being ignored completely.

So, learn about the android operating system over at XDA. Root this device. Very simple to do. You can even put it back the way it was (Factory) so the knuckle draggers that work in Sprint stores will be none the wiser (Not that they know anything their job anyway lol.) and you'll have the ability to see the full potential of this phone as well as many others.

There is an entire word out there, of rooted, high preformance phones, that are being rooted and optimized.

All new smart phones come broken these days. It's up to the real community to fix them. If you're "skeert" then you're missing out. Period.

My GPS works PERFECTLY. 100% lock in less than 5 seconds from INSIDE my apartment. No issues anymore. Works on Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich. ICS is a bit rough right now, but it will only be a few more days and there will be a daily ROM running ICS available.. Just not from Sprint. lol I don't have time to wait on them. Who does?

Journeyman

Mine came back marginally operational with only "S/W UPDATED" as the fix.  It can lock on within a few minutes and mostly stay locked with a clear view of the sky.  It still has moments of losing the lock and it won't work near a tree.  I'm not sending it back again for a third 2 weeks of repair so I'm considering options to get a refund for this Epic Fail.