Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow data speeds fault of phone

Journeyman

speeds went back down......

Sprint Employee

Hello Oddssodds66, in the next software update Samsung intends to correct a condition in which you may lose service, and have to power the phone off then back on to recover (will see stricken circle in place of signal bars) I see no documented problems that will be addressed in the software release that pertain to "weak radios" or GPS lock problems. Changing your secondary home agent from 68.28.xxx.xx/255.255.255.255 to 0.0.0.0 will have no effect what so ever, unless the primary home agent you have been assigned to fails and it attemts to range for a secondary instead of ranging again from the primary home agent slot. if you update your data profile it will correct this setting.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Thanks for the reply.

Well, as changing the agent didn't do anything, I guess it was a waste of time.

I am really dissappointed with this phone, while really liking it.  

The bad reception, GPS lock issue, and incredibly slow data appear to be issues that aren't even being addressed.  That's not good news, as I don't really need another hobby.

The biggest problem is that Sprint doesn't have any other decent phones.  The iphone data is unusable.  The photon is just ugly, and all the webos phones are gone.

I guess I will just resign myself to the fact that I pay $10 a month for a phone that doesn't really work that well.

Journeyman

Ps,  the LoS issues isn't just with the circle / slash.  My phone will be disconnected and still show bars.  That is why it is such an issue, you don't know you are disconnected.

Journeyman

Re: Slow data speeds fault of phone

This what I get, when I try to connect with 3g this morning:

SC20111115-073516.png

I mean.... come on!!  I am in Hollywood California.  If a cell phone is supposed to work, shouldn't it work here??

I am about to just give up on sprint, after about 10 years.  I can get this phone on tmobile and they don't seem to be having any of these issues.

Wizard

While T-Mobile has a version of the SGS2 it uses a different processor that some uses have had overheat and melt down the phone.  Also, T-Mobile has less coverage in some areas (especially indoors and rural areas).  It's a great phone and has much greater 4G coverage (and T-Mobile generally costs less) than Sprint but don't think it will be perfect either.

Cheers,

Journeyman

Yea, that's what I was a bit worried about.

But, i just tried to get a gps lock, while driving my kids to school and it didn't work.

Journeyman

This is my first time with a smart phone (after years of using just  basic calling). What I was expecting was to be able to connect with some  decent speed, I'm not even looking to stream video or anything, just a  few pictures, email and text messages.

What I get - SLOW  connection and BARELY ONE BAR in many places.  Barely a signal in front of the building I work in (none at all inside).  On my 12 mile drive home, the most I see is 3 bars sporadically. In my  house at one point I got up to 4 bars (out of 6) but otherwise hovering  at 2 or 3.

Yesterday, setting up the phone, I went to download  Google Voice app. The file shows 4.2 megabytes. I was standing in the  lobby of a restaurant, and it took EIGHT MINUTES to download (with 2-3  bars). I was involved in conversation and suddenly realized this. EIGHT  MINUTES? Unacceptable. I tried downloading the same app again that  evening driving on the interstate, and it took TWO minutes to download.  Really? TWO FULL MINUTES to download 4mb??!!?? I don't even want to  think what it would be like if I tried to do video or something!!

Sprint  in previous has said we have spotty coverage in our town (apparently  due to lack of cell phone tower) but we are in a pretty heavily  populated area (Princeton NJ) so I think that's completely  unacceptable!!

So - I am paying SEVENTY-NINE dollars a month  (without fees and tax and stuff) to get what amounts to NO SERVICE and  NO DATA SPEED whatsoever. This is totally unacceptable!! I am not sure  if I should bother with trying to replace the phone, or what the next  step would be. (Samsung Galaxy SII / Epic 4G Touch)

Basically, I am so aggravated right now that I want to call and  tell them to cancel my entire service - two accounts, longtime (10+  years) customer. If they think they are going to charge me cancellation  fees or whatever, I WILL take them to small claims court. Why should I  pay for service that they simply cannot provide to me?

OK ranting feels good. But before I get all dramatic - what should I expect, resonably, from the speed of this phone?

I ran some speed tests today on the way to work:

Ping ranged from 74 - 308

Download speed ranged from 100 - 904 kbps

Upload speed ranged from 8 - 578 kbps

That brings average ping to 150, average download to 445 kbps, average upload to 190 kbps

Seems pretty darn slow to me!!

Comments? Ideas? Or should I just pull my hair out       

SETHBOYARDEE - Have you called Sprint Tech Support to see if there are towers down in your area? I can say that I do not put any faith (or reliability) in the "bars" for data. I have also found that Speedtest doesn't necessarily tell me anything. But, your the speed of download/accessing the web is your test. To me, the time it takes to download is not acceptable. If there are no tower issues, then I would have a Sprint Technician check it at a Sprint store. Good luck.

Journeyman

Guys, this isn't a tower issue. I've had this phone in 3 states and the data speeds are slow everywhere. This phone's 3g is completely useless to me. I have to hope everywhere I go has wi fi if I want to check my email or browse the web.

And the GPS does not lock or takes 5+ minutes to lock on. My HTC Hero would lock on instantly.  As of right now, this thing is a great, big, giant FAIL.

Journeyman

So what's the deal? Has the petition been submitted as yet?

Journeyman

The slow 3G/4G connection is not the phones fault.  That is just what the Sprint network gives you.  You do get what you pay for after all.

All the other issues are most definitely the phones fault.  Keep waiting for your promised update

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat