cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow data speeds fault of phone

Journeyman

Sprint Reps?

Thanks for starting this post.  I am finding the same thing on my Samsung Epic 4G Touch.  The 3G / 4G speeds are both terrible here in Dallas.  I can be full signal *outside* for both 3G and 4G (good signals for both in Dallas area).  The typical 3G in total signal conditions ranges from 200kbps to 500 kbps.  My 4G is usually running from 1200-1400 up to 3200kbps.  I have seen anything above 3 extremely rarely.  With full signal strength, outdoors (no buildings or obstructions) -- it usually runs from 2300kbps to 2600kbps in my experience on the Samsung Epic 4G Touch so far.  Sprint Reps, what do you suggest?  I am in a huge metroplex area... should I go to a Sprint store to have them check out my phone or just make a call into Sprint?  Something else?

Thanks!

Wizard

Those speeds will allow full functionality for most tasks.  For most users your speeds are very very good. 

Look here:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/network-and-coverage?view=discussions

and be happy with what you have.  

Cheers,

Journeyman

Panzer,  I was addressing that to Sprint reps. I think you missed the point of this thread or at least reading the earlier thread messages.  The thread is addressed to the fact that Sprint has promised (and committed) to 3G / 4G speeds (see earlier in the thread for the exact details) and that MUCH higher speeds are available on *other* phones while running in the same location, same time, with the same speed tests. 

I am not experiencing close to the speeds that Sprint has advertised and promised.  When indoors (like most of us are most of the times), the speeds drastically drop from the numbers above...or, in an area where you cannot obtain a full signal.

So, my question back to the Sprint reps.  What do you suggest as far as troubleshooting?

GrandMaster

do you happen to have anything stating what exactly the promised speeds are supposed to be?

if you havent noticed the sprint techs in these forums arent the only ones with the answers.

as for a drastic drop in speeds while indoors? your surrounded by metal now..pipes, wiring, walls, etc. of course data and reception is going to drop.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

The last comment was written in response to Panzer's response to me.  Again, the promised speeds are posted earlier in this thread.  Have you read the whole thread, yet?  If not, you may want to before commenting.  See post #s 1-35 and you'll catch it in the attachment of one of the threads.

GrandMaster

Re: Slow data speeds fault of phone

as you'll notice from what they pasted on there it has a 5GB cap while on 3G. which means that was takin from a product saying what its abilities are or were extremley old. most likely it was for a broadband card or one of the netbooks or something. non phone. to have a smart phone you have to have the unlimited data plan which we all know doesnt have a cap unless youre using the hotspot and it doesnt say anything about that.

and unless youre the person that originaly posted that and for some reason have a new user name now they also stated later on in this thread that those speeds had changed. they posted a link even showing the speeds for the iphone which says " 3G. When coverage is available, experience broadband-like download speeds. The average download speeds range 400-700 kbps with peak rates up to 2Mbps. all while on the Sprint network"

so to answer your other question yes i did read the whole thread.

png.png

thats what they originaly posted as a referenace.

the additional info i just stated was on page 3.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Re: Slow data speeds fault of phone

Thanks for the reference... will look it up as soon as I have time.  Keep in mind, my concern was the Samsung Epic 4G Touch having slower speeds than other phones that appear to be connected in the same times / locations, etc., such as the HTCs -- despite the fact that the Samsungs have the capacity for the higher speeds (as made clear by their wifi / other speeds).  I've seen some freak situations where the Epics speed increased, but generally the person who started the thread seemed to be making a valid point as to what I had observed -- particularly where you have a nearly bare phone with almost no apps (like in my case).

Thanks, again.

GrandMaster

yah i know. from what i have read through these forums the samsung used a old chip in this phone. for what reason? not sure. you also have to remember that there are many different things out there that can affect data speeds and reception. (this isnt pointing to the problems with this one..just in general) weather, however many towers are in the area, housing and or apartments and the walls and such blocking signal,  how old the towers are, how many people are in that area and trying to use those towers, etc. which is why people get alot of fluctuation with their speeds at certain times of the day.

i was also pointing out that what Panzer06 was saying was spot on. your speeds are actually pretty decent compared to some others. i can run a test right now and i wont hit those numbers...then again im at work...which is in a college town...with 40+ mph winds currently...and 7 towers covering my home town over to the town i work in which is a 45 minute hwy drive away.... for sh its and giggles...my current.

ping 261ms

down .16 mbps

up .49 mbps.

only time i really tax my phone for a need for data speeds im at home and on wifi anways.

Wizard

Sounds like Verizon is not sweeping this under the carpet for the Galaxy Nexus which is having some of the same issues:

https://twitter.com/#!/VZWSupport/status/148803206623928320

http://www.mobileburn.com/17974/news/verizon-aware-of-galaxy-nexus-reception-issue-is-working-on-a-f...

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat