cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Galaxy S2's slow data speeds in NW Chicago

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint Galaxy S2's slow data speeds in NW Chicago

Here is what I got for 4 speed tests yesterday using the SpeedTest.net app in the northwest Chicago area (all on 3G) on the Sprint GS2:

1:28pm - 125 kbps down, 81 kbps up, 155 ms

1:34pm - 307 kbps down, 169 kbps up, 114 ms

1:36pm - 46 kbps down, 180 kbps up, 675 ms

4:20pm - 225 kbps down, 119 kbps up, 141 ms

I signed up for a new Sprint account yesterday for this phone. I love the phone, but the data speeds are horrific compared to my AT&T iPhone 4 in the same areas (where I average 3mbps down, 1mbps up) on their 3G network.

I'd love a reason to stay with Sprint, but considering almost the exact same phone comes out shortly for AT&T and I have a far better data experience there, I will most likely be taking back the Sprint GS2 and just picking it up for AT&T instead unless something drastic happens for the better on Sprint's 3G network.

Yes, I know the GS2 is a 4G phone, but even the 4G signal is slower (based on several more speed tests) than the AT&T 3G speeds I have been used to for the last year.

Anyone else in the NW suburbs of Chicago getting similar results with this phone?

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Master

I see an open ticket for data troubles in the zipcode 60625.  I don't know if you are near that Zip or far away..however the ticket is for slow data speeds...our 3G data speeds should start at 600kbps and go up from there...if it is less than that then there is a technical issue...

-John

Highlighted
Journeyman

60625 is about 30 miles east of me. I posted my ZIP codes in the network issue thread:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/336655#336655

Highlighted

I'm having problems with the data speed in southwest lower Michigan.  Also I got it for the hotspot feature and so far the signal range is less than my EVO 4g.  The screen is beautiful and its fast although a lot of "hiccups" where it seems to lock up momentarily.  If it persists I'll have to take it back.  For those who don't know Sprint changed their return option from 30 days to 14  and after 3 days no refund on the activation fee.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Those are about what I get here in NM. I have never seen speeds faster the 1.5mbps on anywhere I have gone on Sprints 3G network.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just switched to Sprint from the magenta phone company, bought 2 of these phones and I'm really upset at the data speed. I get 2-300 kb down if I'm lucky. What is going on here?? What can I do, if anything? Seems like my friends EVOs are a heck of a lot faster.  Please Help.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also purchase d a galaxy s 2 and my data speed here in Mesa AZ are about 50K, but at my work I get up to 1.5M.. sprint does not have 4G in Phoenix yet, but my data has always been horrible where I live at, but at least with the EVO I could surf the internet at home, with the galaxy its almost impossible;-(   So Im guessing the EVO had a better antenna than the galaxy s 2...  So know I either have to get another phone or just not be able to use the data at my own house.. by the way my zip code is 85201

Highlighted
Journeyman

same issue. I'm in the NW burbs of Chicago and the 3g data on the galaxy s2 is HORRIBLE.....

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the Evo 4G and it was great up till the last 6 weeks or so.  Its ungodly slow on both 3G and 4G.  Not sure what Sprint is doing, but it seems they have slowed down the data speeds on their network....

Highlighted
Journeyman

my zipcode 95209, stockton ca, horrible 3g speeds. I get 5-10kb. No response or help from tech support. I get the run around of resetting phone, updating everything. It happens on both of my lines evo 3d and galazy s 2

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had the same problem. Roughly 20+ speed tests over a week and i was averaging 200-300 kbps down and 15-30 up. I returned the phone and cancelled the plan. Unlimited data is great, but not worth the frustration when it is 10-20% the speed of the other options available.

For what it's worth, I'm on the South side of the city. (60615).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am done with this service. No one is actually acknowledging the problem in my area. No one here and no one on the phone, I even got no response when I sent a pm to one of the techs here. I guess they can cherry pick who they wanna help. Not going to blame them either. I am done with sprint. I am going to make sure they waive my ETF if I can't get me advertised download speed.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat