cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected ICS update (FF18) has decimated battery life.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unexpected ICS update (FF18) has decimated battery life.

Anyone have any verifiable workarounds to the battery life issue?

I was actually unaware that an ICS - FF18 update was (becoming) available.  So when I saw the message on my Galaxy S2 screen two mornings ago, I was pleasantly surprised. 

"Sweet!  ICS update!" 

So I updated, got ready for work and went about my day.  2 hours later, I looked and realized my battery was at 35%. 

"Wtf?  That must be because I was not plugged in during the update.  I must not have noticed that the battery was already low after that." 

Nope.  The next day, same thing.  Sadness.  Android OS is at the top of the battery list with 48%, as many others have said.  Though I can't say whether that was the case prior to update or not.

So the choices are:

1.  Uninstall some apps and see if I can make any difference in the wounded battery.  Then hope for and wait for a fix.

2.  Revert to GB, wait for that fix and re-update at that point.

3.  Revert to GB and never trust an update again.

ANNOYED.  Anyone have any verifiable workarounds to the battery life issue?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Journeyman

To all struggling with or interested in the ICS update to the Samsung Epic 4G Galaxy S2:

Please consider reviewing the link below and adding your thoughts on the larger mobile computing/Android industry implications raised by the flawed ICS update.

Thank you.

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes , get a bigger battery on ebay like everyone else !!

Highlighted
Journeyman

"mlbp," i couldn't agree more.  well said.

Highlighted
Journeyman

[SOLVED] (for me anyways)

I also experienced a dramatic loss in battery life after the ICS update. After reading much online about others experiences and after doing some testing of my own I finally have my battery life back to normal... even better than before when I was on Gingerbread. However, it is somewhat of a pain to manage. I discovered 4 things affecting my battery life... WiFi, 4G Wimax, and 2 apps (Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker). I installed CPU Spy and BetterBatteryStats to moniter what was happening to my phone. In a nutshell WiFi and 4G Wimax keep the phone from going into deep sleep. So I disable WiFi and 4G and enable 3G when not using the phone. (Menu... Settings... toggle both WiFi & 4G off. Menu... Settings... More... Mobile Networks... check 3G Data) That would have been enough except for the 2 rogue apps I mention above. Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker seem to enable WiFi and 4G even when I manually disable these. So I uninstalled these apps. (There may be other apps that you are using that also disregard your manual settings and enable WiFi and 4G.) When not on WiFi nor 4G and only using 3G, the phone does go into deep sleep and stay there until I wake it. So you can see it is manageable, but a pain or at least slight inconvenience. With moderate usage, including turning on/off my WiFi and 4G throughout the day, I have 20+ hours of usable battery life. I hope this helps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I may be a bit late to the party on this one; but, I recently got FF18 installed on my phone and the first day or two my battery life was f**king awefull.  In one instance it went from fully charged to completly dead in under 8 hours.

Now, I did a full reset on the phone when the update was applied and reinstalled all my apps. so I wasn't sure WTF was wrong.  When looking at the battery meter it showed the phone was in an "awake" state non-stop.  So a stock app was keeping it awake and killing my battery.

I recalled widgets being a bit of a drain and removed them.  Namly the stock clock and weather widgets.  After that the battery life shot back up to running all day for normal use.  I can only assume these things aren't written very efficiently so turn them the hell off.

If you must have these types of things active maybe check the market for better ones.  But I don't feel I need them since the lock screen and top right corner have the time anyway so I don't need another clock.  And, I check the weather once a day anyway so I don't need a constantly on weather app draining my battery checking for updates I don't even check.

There are a number of apps that can prevent your phone from going to sleep propperly when inactive so keep an eye on the battery graph in the settings to see if/when it sleeps.  If it doesn't, periotically kill suspect battery drainer apps until you see it go into a correct standby to keep the battery alive.

I also use a reallyh great app called Tasker I HIGHLY reccomend, that among other things I have set to kill things like email and messaging whenever my phone locks.

Highlighted

I did the manual update (followed QBKING77 instructions). I did the factory reset, WiFi setting changes (actually rarely use WiFI now because it is such a battery drain), turned off "all" syncing of accounts (email, etc) - not sure what else. But, I also installed Juice Defender (free) which was recommended in other discussions. I now have at least some decent battery after installing Juice Defender - lasts sometimes 24 hrs with some phone calls, checking emails, facebook, app store, play a little solitaire, google searches.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was having the same battery life problems, and then today, I got a data usage warning that indicates the Mail program (not Gmail) has used 1.98 GB of data, in 6 days!!!  So I think I found the culprit, but I can't figure out why it's happening or how to stop it, short of just not using the mail program.  I might try to delete and re-establish the account and see if that does the trick.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat