cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Sprint release Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy S2?

Journeyman

When will Sprint release Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy S2?

First it was a failure to deliver 4G in major cities like San Diego. Now Sprint can't deliver on a simple upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich on the Galaxy S2.

Those are some pretty big disappointments.

Im considering breaking my contract and swithching my service to Verizon for the first time in over 10 years with Sprint.

Clearly, Sprint is having a hard time keeping up with the major advances in communication technology.

Not only have they not delivered on their promises, for 2 years in the case of 4G, but they wont even give

us an expected launch date!

That is really poor customer service!

185 REPLIES 185
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: When will Sprint release Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy S2?

Any reason why you are such an angry person? Couldn't you describe your issues in a calm manner instead of big colorful letters?

I wish that Sprint would provide the update myself, but, considering that when I purchased the phone the ICS wasn't important to me at that time, I'm not letting it ruin my day waiting for it, either. As for implementation of 4G, I have to assume that there is a significant cost to add the infrastructure to provide 4G. As it is, my service is generally decent, but 4G would help. I don't believe getting my blood pressure going will make Sprint's wheels turn faster, so, whatever, right? If, at the end of my contract there is better service and support elsewhere, then possibly I'd move. I've had T-Mobile and AT&T, but not Verizon, although I have Verizon Fios at home. Maybe I'll move that direction, someday.

Anyway, anyone with info on the implementation of ICS on the Galazy S2, please make note here. Thanks!

Master

Just the facts:

Sprint's original 4G deployment relied entirely on Clearwire building the infrastructure and deploying the towers. Sprint was essentially just using their network for 4G service (think of how those smaller MVNO companies like Straight Talk just piggyback on a larger network, same idea). Sprint was providing funding for the deployment along with Comcast, Time Warner, and severeal other companies, and owns a majority of Clearwire, but did not do the direct deployment itself. Clearwire has not announced any plans on expanding their current WiMax 4G coverage, butthey have committed to maintaining it through 2015.

Sprint is currently in the process of deploying our Network Vision upgrades across our entire network. This is a complete relaunch of the existing 3G infrastructure, consolidation of towers and spectrum, and an award winning innovation in technology to allows the new system to "breathe" and dynamically allocate spectrum and capabilities on each individual tower and device connected as it is needed. Part of this is the rollout nationwide of our new LTE network at the same time.

I would recommend taking a look at this post regarding a Network Vision Webinar late last year with visuals about coverage with the NV upgrades and the next step after that.  http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/88840

The wbsite http://www.s4gru.com/ also is covering unofficial information regarding the rollout. It is not an official Sprint site, and may have incorrect and speculative information regarding the rollout, but it may give you a general idea about the upgrades and the way Srpint is headed.

As for Ice Cream Sandwich updates, a little research on the topic would yield a wealth of information available regarding updates on the Internet. There have been over 30 leaked test versions of ICS for Sprint's Epic 4G Touch. In addition, Google themselves just updated the Nexus S 4G to ICS in the last month or so. They have also publically congratulated Sony on the speedy release for some of their global GSM phoine updates that took 6 months.

ICS, unlike previous updates, is a complete change to the way Android operates. It brings all of the hardware acceleration and capabilities that Google has made for Honeycomb on the tablets, and combined it with everything in Gingerbread for the phones. Nothing can simply be transferred over from one to the other, everything must be converted to use the new setup that ICS implemented. It's not as easy as going from Android 2.2 to Android 2.3. We are skipping from 2.3 to 4.0 with ICS updates. As it stands, only a handful of Android devices around the world have Andorid 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.

I've been reading that the leaked ICS update are helping with the inconsistent GPS problems, have you heard anything like that regarding the Epic Touch?

Master

rick.spencer wrote:

I've been reading that the leaked ICS update are helping with the inconsistent GPS problems, have you heard anything like that regarding the Epic Touch?

I can't comment really on unreleased software versions be cause most of them fail testing for varying reasons. However, I haven't had any issues with the GPS in my Epic Touch since I got it, with any of the software releases.

I will say I have played around with some of the leaked versions and they do still have some issues, but they are definitely pretty stable now, I can't imagine it being very far from a final release.

For me it has to be a software issue. I'm hopeful it will get fixed with an update. If it does I might just keep this phone a while. Its very efficient with power usage.

Journeyman

I as well am awaiting the ICS update.  Hoping it will fix my random phone reboots when I am doing nothing to the phone.  Sometimes 3 reboots one after the other.

Journeyman

I'm having no issues with my GSII..just looking forward to trying out ICS. 

Journeyman

I cant wait for the ICS on my GSII .. lately, I am having issues with my GPS though.. it always say "lost gps signal' and usually places me on the location I was days earlier, not the current.. I hope this is something that will get fixed with the ICS.. =]

Journeyman

My 6 months old GSII 4G Epic Touch also hangs up very often and/or reboots by itself for no reason at least once per day.

I thought it was happening only to my device, thus I was considering taking it to Sprint for repair.

Journeyman

My phone also did that.  I called Sprint and tech support tried to help me and I took into a Sprint store and they couldn't help me.  After calling a few more times they just sent me a replacement device at no charge.  But I was also having issues with my WiFi to where I couldn't connect or if I was connected I really wasn't connected.  It was confusing and frustrating!  I'm glad Sprint replaced it and didn't charge me anything.  If that would've been the case I think I would've had some choice words for them lol.  But I would definitely take it into Sprint and have them look at it!

Journeyman

I can personally attest to the fact that ICS (based on leaked and fully working roms) fixes GPS and connectivity issues. If you absolutely do not want to wait any longer, let me know so I can direct you to appropriate sources for additional information.  Official ICS update is right around the corner (or so they say)

The downside to ICS (from what I can see personally) is that certain applications are still not properly supported (Hulu Plus is one of them off the top of my head)

rick.spencer wrote:

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat