ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Sprint release Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy S2?

Journeyman

Re: When will Sprint release Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy S2?

If that happens I will drop what I am doing and run up to the AT&T or Verizon store.  I don't doubt it will happen so I guess I will never experience ICE.

Journeyman

I don't understand it being about money. We are told that subsidized phones cost them and money is recouped by contract fees,wouldn't it make better sense to keep people on older phones and happy paying those monthly fees for an old no cost to sprint phone.Addressing the 4g service that is one that really ticks me off. Sprint originally was offering the 4g service with a 10 surcharge to help with rollout. I started with 2  evo 4g's then a nexux s 4g, then a 4g hotspot and now the galaxy s2 e4gt. None of which has been able to enjoy 4g in my area, now with wimax being discontinued and no more deployment I never will enjoy the service locally. I bought 3 devices out of contract because of this and now with updates being so stagnant and no 4g compatiblity with LTE on my phones I am concidering buying those out of contract and moving to Verizon who has LTE in my area. Why continue to pay Sprint for subpar service.

Journeyman

I have some what the same situation, i have three phones e4gt, bb torch and a evo. I have being paying that 10$charge on two and bb service on the torch and in reality we dont even enjoy the full capabilities of the phones.  The 4g barely reaches my area is mostly limited to downtown Denver, the 3g is a disaster and the answer i get from sprint is we updating owr towers.  How they will update the towers when they cant update their phones on time.  wheres ics sprint?  Oh yeah you still doing test on it. For the fifth month in a row. Other companies at least have one phone with it, and i wont count the nexus cause thats google all the way. But att has the gs2 running tmo has their gs2 with it vz has the dates for their phones at least, Where are you at sprint like always last place testing.

Journeyman

Richboy I believe Verizon is rolling out ICS to droid razor and Razor Maxx today so they are current. And testing really the galaxy s2 epic can't be that much different than all the others and if it is wimax they are worried about what the hell they are phasing that out anyway. I believe the bulk of the g2e4gt people are using 3g anyway. Why worry about a technology they are getting rid of after all they are throwing all us wimax users in front of the bus anyway, still under contract with an outdated service they never delivered forced to wait or pay to get a phone that will work on a new system they may or may not roll out anytime soon in your area.

Journeyman

Wow so even verizon is a step ahead of sprint.  I went to the store today i asked the question, what the rep told me was that they havent told nothing to them.  so if a rep says is coming soon that means they dont know crap.  Oh they were glad to show me the evo lte and the ssgs3, but as my contract is up in august so am i with sprint. Bye sprint the htc one x and the note are calling me.

Journeyman

richboy I wish my contract was up that soon I think mine is up next year in October. I may just pay the ETF I am getting very frustrated, like I said I have already done so for 3 devices I got tired of paying for something that I was not recieveing. You would think that Sprint would at least offer an early upgrade of something to people that got left out because of their switch to LTE but no. Stuck with an expensive 4g now 3g only phone that gets updated when they are damn good a ready. I have already checked coverage from ATT , Verizon and T-Mobile locally and I think I may go with ATT.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Att sounds like the way to go they have nice phones and the service seems to be getting better so i think thats the way to go.

Journeyman

Awesome... yet another phone on another carrier gets ICS before ET4G on Sprint:

http://www.androidcentral.com/ice-cream-sandwich-now-available-everyone-droid-razrrazr-maxx

Journeyman

By the time Sprint releases ics for GS2 there will already be a leaked version of jelly bean available for it.

Journeyman

I switched to Sprint from AT&T. Sprint was the first to get the GS2. AT&T made me wait months and months to get Gingerbread on my HTC Aria so they could thoroughly test it and alter it to make it so I couldn't side load apps or use the Amazon App store. I also had half the features I do now on Sprint and my bill was $15 a month more. Verizon decided at the last minute to not carry the GS2 to push people to get the Nexus. So, my point is, I'm super annoyed that Sprint is the last to get the ics update, which has been out for a long time and works without any problems on all the other versions of the phone and it's difficult to say it's anything short of incompetence of the testing team, or motivated by trying to force us to get a more expensive phone, but all the other carriers are equally as bad. Canceling your contract and going to someone else won't really fix anything.

Journeyman

First of all, for the first time ever, My post re ice update was taken off and a text sent to me' As an old Media person my take

is Sprint, in more ways than one, has shot itself in the foot.As I said in the removed reply, Its business, plain and simple.

Sprint is in severe financial trouble, spread out with too many upgrades on towers, new phones, etc. You'll notice the rapid

extra charges poping up, then you noitice the downgrade of service, and among many other signs, no up grade to our s2.

Sprint is taking the "other road" and trying to survive by milking current customers, by not caring if you go to the BBB or

not. You will not see ics for a while or NEVER, sprint has to sell as many s3s as possible BEFORE upgrading existing

customers, period. Why  up grade us to a phone s2 with ice cream sandwich that will cool off many s2 owners. Their

business phylosophy stinks. Their own board refused to vote for an idea Dan Hessie came up with. Lets watch and see

if they centure me again, when they do, well no threats from me.

Journeyman

I am sure Sprint is having servere financial problems not sure they are going away though. Now as far as forcing us to buy GS3's truly they don't want us to upgrade just extend our contract they could be prompt with updates and offer certain incentives for people to do that and get a better response. After all they tell us they make no money on subsidized phones so why use them for anything but a draw to new customers. New phones don't impress current customers that are on contract but if you want to keep them you give good service. Other providers may not be any better price wisie and I am seriously shopping these days cause I am sick of lack of response from sprint but at least leaving them and moving may send a message. ATT LTE roll out locally is better anyway Sprint promised wimax would be rolling out but they renegged on that so I only get 3g local anyway. If not being stuck in the contract I would have left as soon as they announced that as well as the ICS delays. At least if they were responsive and had good customer relations that would be some reason to stay beyond contract. Right now I am struggling with the notion of just paying the ETF's on my last 2 devices (I already did for 3 4g devices) and moving on never looking back.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat