cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Sprint release Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy S2?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: When will Sprint release Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy S2?

jsbancroft Lucky you my 3g has been so bad lately that even a low quality music stream buffers to the point it is not work even trying to listen. Called customer service they said all things appeared proper. When asked if they had some program for people that were left in the cold when wimax was canceled I was reminded of the Sprint buyback program. That is no better than selling my phone to gazelle and as far as upgrading to a LTE supported phone without having ETF's I was directed to a contest where I could win and EVO 4g LTE from Sprint. Wow I could place my money down on a horse or stick it in a slot machine to cover costs too.

Journeyman

The way things going with spirit I don't believe the LTE program will even be on time.  And the fact that I would have to buy a new phone makes it worst.  About two years ago before the wimax thing, the talks was that sprint owned almost half of clearwire.  I don't know if its true, but sprint keeps making this horrible deals and we have to party for it.  Why we have to pay more?

Journeyman

14Knight, are you kidding me?  After speaking with Samsung, they confirmed that all of the source coding for every device has been released to all carriers, including SPRINT!  So what is the hold up?  I too am going to be one of the "rats" jumping ship because it is clearly obvious that Sprint does not care about its customers.  If you care, prove it, and give the real reason the Epic 4G Touch still hasn't been upgraded or give us a time frame.  Don't just lurk around in the forums and lie straight to customers faces.  I've heard rumor that July 12th is the day the upgrade will be pushed out OTA?  Can you confirm or deny that, or give me the Sprint answer? Please be cautious and validate your claims before posting them for the world to see.  I've been with Sprint for 12 years and for the last 3 or 4 years it's been down hill.  It started with the Palm Pre failure, then the HTC Evo 4G failure. 

Journeyman

I agree with you also as I have been on the phone with Sprint about this issue, its not that I havent got the update but when I signed on with sprint they told me 4g is on the way it will be in your town soon, 20 miles from here it is, but over a year later nothing, no 4g, then the ics update was to roll to samsung epic 4g the first quarter, then nope the nexus came out and had ics and suddenly my update is delayed, I talked to the sprint store here in town and they said the update is coming, then nope, sg3 with ics is announced and all of a sudden it is sprint will release ics by the end of the year, so for me its not that I dont have the update but dont put off customers who have been loyal so you can sell a few more phones, for me like I told sprint it would be cheaper for me to get out of my contract and go with verizon and get the sg3 through them, plus I would have my 4g due to verizon already having it in place,

Master

Here is a blog on how to stop emails.

mapesy

Journeyman

I never thought I would see the day that I would be really considering leaving Sprint, but that day has come.  First of all, I am paying a $10 charge for some bogus 4g data that I never experience except for a one block radius by my work.  Now, there will not be any 4g as they are switching to LTE, so I will need to buy a new phone to be able to get 4g and when it does roll out it will be in a small amount of areas.  Now they are taking their sweet time to update our phone, which I love, and would love more with ICS.  Yet they don't care about us that have been with them for 10 years or more, which from the posts seem to be quite a bit of Epic 4g Touch owners.  I have been looking at going with Verizon which with my company discount I would be paying about the same that I do now but would 4g everywhere I go.  It is unfortunate that obviously no one from Sprint reads these posts or cares enough to give an honest straightforward answer as to how as the third and most in need of keeping its customers has not rolled out this update.  You are pushing your customers out the door Sprint.

Journeyman

Wow, now I have heard everything.   Being told there are leaked versions of ics for our phone floating around for months is a insult almost to an unbearable degree. So are they now telling us to go on ahead and root your phone so you can then use these test versions. Of course do that and we will have to void your phone warranty and if you have an insurance claim you can go and pound salt, tough luck.  As for.sprints rediculous 4g  network please do not get me started, oops, to late.  The  Sprint 4g network, and I use the term 4g losley,  is in fact USELESS.  What good is a network that is constantly so overburdened that you are reading the message that network traffic is so intense that your download will resume when the situation gets better.  Maybe Sprint really does need to throttle back whatever speed they can actually lay claim to so that their network does finallly  become useful to us. But alas, and I truly believe this, Sprint made deal with the devil when they brought the poison Apple on board. I have noticed that this was when Sprint really started to go down hill. Maybe it was just to high a price to pay.  I for one am jumping ship as soon as this horrible contract comes to an end. Just have to adjustmy contract to the absolute lowest possible price point. If its low enough I will let my mom use the Sprint mess and go ahead and get a Galaxy  Note with  ATT.  Kind of crappy going with ATT but I will get an truly awsome phone with reliable and timely updates and a really FAST network. My 4g Touch is a slug compared to my friends ATT Note.  Plus a bit more money for a quality cell phone experience is not so bad after all. Especially since e I have eliminated my home phone and use my cell as my primary phone. Seems everyone is doing this nowadays. I am very sad about Sprints lack of concern for the quality of its devices and network. I will admit customer service is pretty damn awsome but for better equipment and data service it is worth a little less frindly and helpful customer service. Besides I think I have required Sprints assistance all of about 4 times in all my years with them. I used to be such a HUGE Sprint advocate. In fact many of my friends and coworkers switched to Sprint because of me. And they were happy they did untill lately. Now most of them have left Sprint for greener pastures. I am one of the very few holdouts. I guess I naively thought things would improve. Also I must admit I have been praying Sprint would get the Galaxy Note or a simular large screen device, maybe even a Nexus Note.  Alas I am so very tired of my device and the quality of my data connection being so either in need of an long overdue update or a  fast and real 4g experience. So Sprint to your contracts end and jump in bed with a carrier who cares. Thats the best advice I can give anyone who wants more than empty promises.

Journeyman

just wanted you to know that samsung says sprint has the upgrade. i talked to tech support at samsung and they assured me that sprint was the hold up not them.

Journeyman

Here is my conversation with Sprint tech supports, Samsungs tech support, and again another sprint tech support.

Andre K: I understand you have a question for the ICS for Samsung Epic 4G.

Andre K: Let's move this chat and make it a window of its own. It will enable you to view other Web pages while we chat.

Simply click the white Yes button below now.

Andre K: Thanks for moving the chat window.

Customer: do you have any information on when this will be released? I have been a sprint customer since i had nextel in 2005

Customer: i haven't ever thought about early termination until this delay in the ICS update.

Customer: its getting very frustrating

Andre K: We appreciate your long term association with us.

Andre K: I understand your frustration in this regard.

Andre K: Both ( we and Samsung ) are working on this issue .

Andre K: We are getting the feedbacks about ICS to Samsung Epic 4G.

Andre K: I am sorry this is not possible for me to  comment about the release date of ICS for Samsung Epic 4G.

Andre K: Whenever it will be launched , the users will get a notification over the over.

Customer: so im guessing its going to be awhile? i hate to have to spend a bunch of money to drop my long term contract with sprint but samsung has already released the ics to sprint. I called and talked to a rep from samsung and they had told me that they had already released the ics to you guys and you guys that have been taking forever.. i seen verizon just released the galaxy s3.. i may have to check that out. im sure it comes with ics.

Andre K: Just one moment.

Andre K: ICS has been launched for Samsung Galaxy S3 by us .

Customer: I just dont understand whats the hold up.. i mean developers are able to create custom roms that work fine with ICS.

Andre K: Let me explain to you.

Andre K: Samsung is the Manufacturer of the phone and Samsung has not been launched ICS for Samsung Galaxy S2.

Customer: are you kidding me? its already out for other providers

Andre K: ICS has been launched for the Samsung Galaxy S3

Andre K: I apologize for the inconvenience in this regard to  you.

Customer: I just can't believe a bunch of "professional" techs at sprint can't even get this ready when other service providers have already released it.

Andre K: Please try to understand this is not possible for us to launch the ICS for Samsung Galaxy S2 till Samsung approve it .

Andre K: As we got the ICS for Samsung Galaxy S3, we have launched it for the users.

Andre K: Shane , please try to understand, this is not possible for us to launched any software before it approved by the manufacturer of the phone.

Customer: yeah but i can't upgrade. I would have to spend like $600 to get the galaxy s3 when i could spend $250 early termination fee and get the galaxy s3 with another provider with a new contract for like $200

Samsung

Chat Information Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Neo'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Chat Information Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56401287816X

Neo: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: Wondering if you guys have anymore information than sprint does on the ICS release for the galaxy s2?

Neo: I understand that you want to know the release information of ICS on S2. Is that correct ?

Visitor: for sprint.. i know it has been released on some carriers.

Neo: Thank you for cnfirming.

Neo: I would like to inform you that your device is listed for the update.

Neo: I am sorry to inform you as of now we do not have the information on the release date for the ICS on Sprint.

Neo: Once the update is released for your device you will be notified from your carrier and we can find in our web site.

Visitor: okay. so you guys have released it to sprint though correct?

Neo: Yes.

Visitor: Thank you. I just had an argument with the sprint tech. He was telling me they were waiting on you guys and i Knew it was on them

Visitor: thanks for confirming.

Neo: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Visitor: nope that would be it. thanks!~

Neo: It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!

Sprint:

Andrew K: I understand your concern regarding the  ICS  release for the galaxy s2.

Andrew K: Let's move this chat and make it a window of its own. It will enable you to view other Web pages while we chat.

Simply click the white Yes button below now.

Andrew K: Moving this chat window helps ensure our chat remains active even if you move to a different page on the website. Please click on the white Yes button below now.

Andrew K: Thanks for moving the chat window.

Customer: I was just told by your agent "Andre K" that you guys were waiting on the approval from Samsung to release the ics? and he was lying.

Andrew K: Let me check this for you.

Customer: I just got off chat with a samsung rep from samsungs website

Customer: Chat Information Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Neo'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Chat Information Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56401287816X

Neo: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: Wondering if you guys have anymore information than sprint does on the ICS release for the galaxy s2?

Neo: I understand that you want to know the release information of ICS on S2. Is that correct ?

Visitor: for sprint.. i know it has been released on some carriers.

Neo: Thank you for cnfirming.

Neo: I would like to inform you that your device is listed for the update.

Neo: I am sorry to inform you as of now we do not have the information on the release date for the ICS on Sprint.

Neo: Once the update is released for your device you will be notified from your carrier and we can find in our web site.

Visitor: okay. so you guys have released it to sprint though correct?

Neo: Yes.

Visitor: Thank you. I just had an argument with the sprint tech. He was telling me they were waiting on you guys and i Knew it was on them

Visitor: thanks for confirming.

Neo: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Visitor: nope that would be it. thanks!~

Neo: It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue ?X close? button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!

Customer: i just don't like being lied too

Andrew K: Let me have a look at the chat transcript.

Andrew K: Thank you for waiting.

Andrew K: Let me explain the thing in detail to resolve the matter.

Customer: i just can't believe the carrier who first released the galaxy s2 is the last to release the update

Andrew K: I certainly understand your feeling and no apology can compensate the inconvenience.

Andrew K: Let me explain now.

Customer: i have been waiting for this update for a long time.. staying up to date on every sprint forum and galaxy forum. there are off the wall carriers who have already released this update.. you would think a carrier as big as sprint who has the money to pay all these developers to make their bloatware work on ICS should be able to release it in a reasonable time frame.

Andrew K: I understand.

Customer: i am thinking of rooting this phone with a custom rom. I would prefer not to but this update is starting to get a little out of hand. at least with the root i can get free wifi hotspot

Andrew K: Okay. I got you.

Customer: the last thing i've heard from sprint on this update was "sometime in 2012"

Andrew K: Yes, the ICS is released for the Samsung Nexus phone and that is the thing the Actually, Samsung Technical Support representative anted to confirm you.

Andrew K: I am really sorry for the confusion.

Customer: no. because i registered my device and had samsung tech support for MY DEVICE!

Andrew K: The ICS is not yet released  for the Samsung Galaxy S2 yet,

Customer: it has been released on verizon

Andrew K: I understand.

Andrew K: We are also working on it. I really want to help you. Thus, I have taken the initiative and will send you a confirmation email as soon as the ICS is available for the Galaxy S52.

Customer: so your telling me some off the wall carrier who is maybe in 1 or 2 states if that, that samsung went out and released it to them?

Andrew K: *S2

Customer: there is no expected release date? a time frame?

Andrew K: You can also check the updates online (Sprint.com).

Andrew K: Unfortunately, I am unable to provide you the exact date as of now.

Customer: or are you guys trying to get people to buy the s3 when i still have another year before i am egible for an upgrade

Andrew K: However, I will definitely send you the email.

Andrew K: After all, we are here for you.

Customer: yeah i have appreciate a lot what sprint does for me.. but being a techy and always trying to argue my phone is better than your phone to someone who has a junk phone with ics on it.. how do i argue that?

Andrew K: It is nothing like that we want the people to buy  S3.

Andrew K: We alway launch new and upgraded version of the phones to accommodate the needs of the customers and be in the competition.

Customer: i guess the release of ICS for the galaxy s2 is the competition sprint has lost then?

Andrew K: It is nothing like that.

Customer: lol, well you guys are the last to release it.

Andrew K: I want to avoid providing any incorrect information to you. Therefore, I am unable to provide the exact date.

Andrew K: However, I once again assure that I will send the confirmation email as soon as the ICS is released.

Customer: you can't say something like... we "think" it will be ready in a couple days, couple weeks, a month, two months......

Andrew K: I really appreciate your patience and cooperation in this regard.

Customer: this phone will be an antique before it gets upgraded. lol

Andrew K: Is this email address ( *********@gmail.com) fine to get the confirmation email?

Customer: yeah that comes right to my galaxy s2 running on ginger bread

Andrew K: I really thank you for giving us the chance to further assist you.

Andrew K: I am honored.

Andrew K: Please let me know if there is something else I can do for you over the chat to make the thing easier.

Customer: lol, you guys hate me. but hopefully you can release this soon.. i would hate to have to leave the carrier i've been with since 2005

Andrew K: We really value your business.

Customer: but, i'll let you go help someone who actually needs help understanding their phone and not just wanting a release date or time frame

Journeyman

Can sprint be so helpfull in helping me choose a better cell provider then them? lol

I have been a customer since 2007 and all has been peachy up until the past couple years. Just like a few people mentioned about not having 4g in their area and now they are going to LTE which will require a new phone but what the hell is the point if im not going to get LTE coverage? Of course they will still chrage me the extra 10 a month for my 2 phones tho.

Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy S2 Ice Cream Sandwich Upgrade Not Coming to Sprint?

Thu, Jun. 28, 2012 Posted: 12:38 PM EDT

With T-Mobile and AT&T finally rolling out the Android 4.0.3, Ice Cream Sandwich update for the Samsung Galaxy S2, Sprint is now the lone carrier to still have its version of the device running Android 2.3, Gingerbread.

No plans for the release of the update have been announced by Samsung or Sprint regarding the Epic 4G Touch, the carrier's exclusive version of the S2.

Both AT&T and T-Mobile issued the ICS update for the smartphone through the internet and it must be installed using Samsung Kies software.

If and when Sprint releases the upgrade, Epic 4G Touch owners will also most likely have to access it through Samsung Kies software.

Sprint was the first of the three U.S. carriers to launch the Galaxy S2 in the fall of last year.

However, the Epic 4G Touch is slightly less powerful than other S2 models including T-Mobile's version, and AT&T's LTE Skyrocket variant.

And although AT&T has made ICS available to owners of the original Galaxy S2, the carrier still has not released it for the Skyrocket that launched shortly after.

AT&T did announce that the device would eventually be running Android 4.0.3, but there is no word so far on when this will happen.

The Galaxy S2 became one of Samsung's best selling smartphones after the company released it in 2011.

Samsung launched its successor, the Samsung Galaxy S3 earlier this year. The S2's impact on the smartphone market even influenced Verizon to begin carrying the Galaxy S series starting with the S3.

The new device comes with Android 4.0.3 pre-installed.

Samsung could be slowing down on issuing the update in order to encourage Android fans to purchase the more powerful, more impressive Galaxy S3.

The handset comes with LTE connectivity, a quad-core processor and a new Siri-like S-Voice feature that acts as a virtual personal assistant that responds to a user's voice commands.

http://global.christianpost.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s2-ice-cream-sandwich-upgrade-not-coming-to-spri...

Journeyman

The "US" version of the S3,, I believe only has dual core 1.5, not quad core.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat