ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Sprint release Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy S2?

Journeyman

Re: When will Sprint release Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy S2?

Just for grins and giggles I slipped over to the EVO 3D forum, the HTC people have the same problem. Sprint blames our delay on Samsung, and there delay on HTC I decided HTC must not be competent either. OH wait a minute there is a new EVO LTE that need to be sold. That explains it. 

Journeyman

GingerBread, Jellybean, ICS it's al acedemic since the service is so poor that hardly anything works.  I check my upload/download speeds regularly, and I rarely get anywhere near the speeds they promise.  Today I was getting .08-.27 download speeds when the website says you should get .6 to 1.4 regularly and up to 3.1 M at peak on 3G and even more with 4G.,  Is anyone getting that kind of speed?  Also, is there any group on Facebook or Google+ where people go to air thier grievances?  I've been working with Dan@Sprint but it seems like those peoples' hands are tied.  They just respond with vague canned answers.  My bill went up $50 a month and they told me I could cancel w/out penalty but I was stuck with a couple of nearly new phones.  It really[...]me off to get treated like this after being with Sprint over 10 years

Message was edited by: mapesy

Journeyman

I have been with sprint since I was 16..  I am now 30.  In those 15 years, I spent 1 with no phone, because I was young and cash was tight, and 2 with att because I was in a small town in which att was pretty much the only one that worked.  Recently, there have been two things that may cause me leave as well.  The first was my experience with my HTC touch pro.  I went through2 identical devices with assurion, both had the same exact ptoblem, before fighting like hell to get the touch pro 2, where upon its arrival I was informed that the replacement insurrance plan thru assurion was maxed out.  It didn't stop sprint from selling the cheaper non-replacement warranty, whatever is they call it.  Well the touch pro 2 did not have the same issue as the other tp1's, but eventually something happened to the usb port, and it stopped accepting a charge.  Now there were tons of other people with the same issue, but despite an obvious manufacturer design flaw, sprint claimed, in almost every single case that the non-functioning ports constituted damage caused by the customer, and the phone had to be replaced under insurance.  My insurance already being maxed out from the previous tp1's, that meant I could not get another phone.  I had to reactivate my flip phone. Sprint added insult to injury when my contract was up, on 1 line and i thought I would finallyh be able to get a smart phone again.  I went to a sprint store, where I was informedthat I would have to change to a family data plan, instead of being able to carry the pro pack on 1 lin and have voice on the other two.  This would give me data on all 3, but cost me 50 more a month, the other 2 line belong to my parents who at the time did not ue data.  So now, not only did I have to buy a new phone, it was going to cost 50 dollars more per month.  On top of that, sprint did not let my parents upgrade to smart phones upon adding the data plan as I thought they ould, instead, they had to keep their flip phones til just one month before th contract was up before they could upgrade.

This isses with ICS is to me not a deal breaker.  I have a working phone, and for now I am happy, if I want something different, I can flash a rom, or whatever.  I do get the frustration though.  IMO sprint is so far behind because of all the bs bloatware that they force us to carry on our phones.. between the nascar thing, and their own version of gps which is expensive and obsolete, errors are probably rising with that garbage, and instead of just giving it to us without that garbge they will push some more to get it on... that's what I think anyway.  The only thing I still like about sprint is that the data plan is truly unlimited... and although they try to limit the ways in which that data is used, and they charge a 10 premium upcharge, there I just something wholesome about unlimited data.  I know I can browse on my phone, and not get killed at the end of the month.

Journeyman

Journeyman

I am in a similar position as you Donald. Longstanding, loyal customer that is very disappointed in Sprint.  Abandoning 4g technology I bought into (Wimax) before it was even ready, unable to update device firmware and my number one complaint with sprint, their discontinuation of all loyalty programs. 11 years with sprint, I have paid in over $12,000. I would happily pay another $12k in the next decade if sprint would offer even a small discount on new devices for current customers.  However, Sprint will make you wait the full contract terms while new customers receive large discounts on new devices. 

So Sprint's new goal seems to be attracting and gaining new customers instead of taking care of its loyal standing customers.  In a business where consumers have so many options, it would only make sense to find some balance between the two. 

Hello Verizon.  Hope I can get some good cash for Galaxy S2.

Journeyman

In case the other post wasn't clear enough, Samsung dropped source this morning.  That means FF18 will be the official ICS release (which you can get at XDA by the way!) or else there would be a violation of GPU.  And since source normally doesn't drop until right before it is announced it looks like that 7/12 date is good.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I hope it's true, cause this gps is not working and the wireless radio it's horrible. Let's see if sprint delivers, something their not really famous for.

Journeyman

http://www.androidauthority.com/sprint-epic-4g-touch-galaxy-s2-ice-cream-sandwich-update-coming-on-j...

Don't hold your breath, but this newest report says ICS is coming to Sprint Galaxy S2 via OTA starting July 12th.

Journeyman

Sure verizon has great service, but you will be paying alot more.  Also dont forget that you will have to track your data usage if you tether your phone or use alot of data.  If I were to switch, it would cost me double with their lowest tiered data rate.

Journeyman

It would cost you tripple because you'd actually be able to get data in that many more p

laces at a much faster speed 😉

Journeyman

I have bought a Galaxy Nexus and started with AT&T so far speeds are fantastic. I still have 2 phones on Sprint I have paid the ETF on 2 phones and a hotspot in frustration and still deciding on the last 2. All you can eat bandwidth is only good if you can access it. Like the joke (All you can eat for $5,you get served a carrot and that is all you can eat for $5) Unlimited is only good if you can access it right now I will run my battery dead trying to load pages and my blood pressure will go through the roof. If Sprint can't get their act together the last 2 phones are going too. Not to mention they can't seem to push updates through either,of course if I had to download an update using Sprint service I may as well not get the update right now.I believe the big threat here is people that feel cheated usually are not afraid to spread the word.

Journeyman

With as large as this update is going to be - leaks have been 300 MB on average (compressed) - I wouldn't suggest doing it over 3G/4G anyhow.  That's just on experience of having a bad CRC check when dowloading that way.  Wi-Fi would probably be best for this update.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat