ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Sprint release Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy S2?

Journeyman

Re: When will Sprint release Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy S2?

I just dropped my S2 off at the Sprint Tech store in Phoenix.  This morning, MY BATTERY DRAINED FROM 100% to 15% in 2 hours!!!!  The rep at the store said he "hasn't heard of any battery drain complaints."  Really?

I pick it up in 2 hours after some "diagnostic testing," which I'm sure will result in them telling me I have to uninstall apps, tone down the display, and every other BS excuse that has already been tried.

I understand that "tech happens" and nothing is perfect.  I've been patient for almost 2 weeks since performing this update but I've had enough.  I would have not been surprised with the bugs if Sprint was one of the last carriers to release this update, but to wait so long and so many epically bad side effects is inexcusable.

Journeyman

After hearing the problems users are having I don't want ICS much less JB.  People are I'm sure complaining for some valid reasons (all be it I'm sure there are many that aren't)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Back up your data with an sd card and do a factory reset see if that helps with the issues.  That worked for me,  got both launchers the ics one and the touch wiz one both working ok the gps is fixed, the only issue is the battery life it shorten down about an hour total.

Journeyman

My ICS update which I did manually is working wonderfully. Perhaps the battery drain is from signal problems. When on WiFi my battery lasts a long time but when I am struggling with the current poor Sprint data stream my battery drains quickly and the phone starts getting warm while it struggles to get signal.

Journeyman

When u do a factory reset, does that cause all of your loaded programs to go away as well?  Data backup is good, but loading all the programs can be a challenge!

Journeyman

I have seen "bugs" with this release. My skyfire browser has not worked properly since the ICS release. I have also have tried the new Chrome browser which appears to "hang" a little when I have been using it..

Journeyman

Phone is back.  Tech at Sprint suggested that I add only my google and social media contacts in for now - leave any apps I don't need immediately off.  And try it for 2 days.  He also replaced my battery, said it was swollen from the heat so he trashed it.

A full reset was performed and I'm doing my first full battery charge now.  So we'll see.

***One important thing he mentioned is that he noticed I have a ton of contacts and accounts.****  With GB, a user has the ability to set how often the sync takes place.  So with 5 google accounts and several social media accounts, I had the ability to have my main google account sync every 5 minutes but the others manually, or more intermittantly, etc.

ICS DOES NOT OFFER THIS FEATURE.

I have over 4,000 google contacts.  ICS is constantly syncing these contacts, and all of my google accounts and social media accounts very frequently and that is probably one of the things that is killing our batteries.

Hopefully a patch is issued or if the S2 gets Jelly Bean, the ability to set sync intervals is put back into the OS.  Sprint/Samsung please take note!!!

Journeyman

I would just turn off sync then - you can still manually sync as needed for Contacts.  Or the alternative - which I do when I really need battery over data - turn the data off entirely.

Journeyman

I am still waiting for my update. I am usually one of the first people to get the update but have not received as of yet. Has anyone else not received the update yet?

Journeyman

I do not have it either. I guess we wait.

Journeyman

uninstalled skyfire and then re-installed and everything now appears back to normal with skyfire.

Journeyman

UPDATE: from my post #166, you can tell I was kind of irate.  Post #172 I was hopeful.

I can say after 3 full days, I am getting tremendous battery life.  I'm averaging 12-13 hours from a full charge, and with the amount I use my phone for work, I'm thrilled and this is the best I could ask for.  Some of you that get 20+ hours, do you even pick your phone up and use it??

The only complaint I have is a lag with contacts, and when dialing the first few letters of someone's name, I have to wait 20-30 seconds for the rest of number to populate.  This annoys the $hi! out of me.  But I am going to chalk this up to having an excessive amount of contacts (almost 4,200).

In all, the clean install is the way to go, then slowly add apps back in so you can see which ones act up.

***Side note*** I got the Jelly Bean update for my Xoom, and it works GREAT.  In fact, ICS was near-perfect in the Xoom.  There are only some slight changes from ICS to JB on the Xoom, and nothing to get excited about frankly, but it works without any issues.

Hope this helps someone.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat