cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Sprint release Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy S2?

Journeyman

Re: When will Sprint release Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy S2?

Dam don't u ppl understand it takes time to upgrade software its not like they said when u bought ur Galaxy s2 Epic it would be upgraded soon. U could of bought a Nexus s. Stop the whining and have some patience. Us nexus owners had to wait almost 5months to get upgrade promised in Dec

Journeyman

I say let em sweat and upgrade epic to 3.0 honeycomb:-) at least its a upgrade..... lol

Wizard

Yes it takes time but remember, Wireless providers typically hold major sofware updates until the next version of that device is released there by counting on some people buying the new device that has the next version of software already installed. It's all about the money, not the customers. Or should I say, that's how wireless carriers do business. After the GS 3 is relesed you will start hearing the rumors about the GS 2 getting ICS.

Journeyman

Actually, manufacturers make money out of the devices and wireless providers make money out of what we pay them monthly for the service.

But you are totally right in one thing, for both manufacturers and carriers it's all about money, not customers. Manufacturers want you to buy the next newer device, and carriers have you handcuffed with a contract so they simply don't care what you may think, feel or want. You leave, you pay. You stay, you pay.

It's a win-win situation for them, and lose-lose for us.

Journeyman

Simple answer, Sprint will release ICS when all testing is done. Will it be before or after gs3? who cares, this is the last major OS update this device will see. so it doesnt benefit them to wait to releas it as many simply cant upgrade now anyway. if youve been following xda threads youll see that samsung only recently claimed it was now in Sprints hands, and we are still the first U.S variant of the gs2 thats getting the update so, when you get that notification pop up that says update available, youll know they released it, otherwise go to xda and get ics now, its not that special believe me

Journeyman

Since is evident that Sprint has no intention of releasing ICS anytime soon, I guess it's time to risk bricking my unit by rooting it and getting the leaked ICS version.

Do you know of a simple way to do it or maybe something like a one click root?

Wizard

KAMADEV1969 wrote:

Since is evident that Sprint has no intention of releasing ICS anytime soon, I guess it's time to risk bricking my unit by rooting it and getting the leaked ICS version.

Do you know of a simple way to do it or maybe something like a one click root?

Chill dude, Sprint will be releasing this "soon" which means the next couple weeks.  ICS is nearly bugless from all the leaked builds and if you get over to XDA and read, you will realize that there is very, very, very little chance of bricking your phone if you READ the directions and use sfhub's ODIN one clicks.  notice my emphasis on reading.

GPS is fixed, ICS runs great, smooth and fluid.  Everyone will be as happy as they can possibly be with a telephone.  It will not really revolutionize anyone's worlds.  Besides the GPS fix, it has a whole lot of the same functionality of the phone you currently hold in your hand.  not sure why there are 20 different threads of people being pissed off that ICS isn't here yet.  If you want to see what its like when they just hastily slap ICS into a phone, just go to XDA and go to the first ICS build.  HA, its a mess!  You need testing to be done and that takes a while.

Journeyman

Go online there are a few sites that offer instructions to upgrade.  It's really easy and the OS is stable.  I've been using it for about a week.  No issues. I upgraded since my phone totally sucks.  No Signal strength, No GPS, No Internet 90% of the time.  Sprint just keeps putting me off.  So I tried upgrading the OS to see if it would help.  Don't help, but did not make it any worse either.

Journeyman

Sprint has started the rollout of ICS for Galaxy S2.  I have not yet received it but know people who have (last night - June 20, 2012).  Keeping my eye out for it.  Their update started when they tried to turn their phone off.

Journeyman

Can you or anyone confirm this?

Journeyman

Just got off the phone with sprint and after an hour i found out that the update is not out this has been comfermed from tech support and my local corperate store and they do not know when it will roll out

Master

When we start rolling out a software update it is noted in these forums

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat