cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are we still waiting for ICS?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Why are we still waiting for ICS?

Perhaps for the E4GT this could have been patched early - but keep in mind that this particular (eMMC lockup) bug has been identified in almost every Galaxy S II and Note variant in the world.  We're just a little piece of the puzzle, I'd rather they fix it for everyone. The GS2 has to have a core kernel and then branches for each variation - same with the Note.  If Samsung has been listening than hopefully it's getting patched at the highest levels and then passed down to each variant.

Sprint customers might not like the delay - blame that in part to a salesperson telling you to expect a software update by a given timeframe.  The correct answer to when is a software update is ready - "When it has been thoroughly tested and been proven to be stable."  Get told anything else and you're being sold a false bill of goods; see how well that went for the LG Optimus S or the international variant of the Galaxy Note.

In the end what we need is a stable and solid update that provides enhancements for each phone user/owner without introducing new risks.  And if you expected ICS when you bought your E4GT then you should want this even if it means waiting a little longer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

garwynn wrote:

but keep in mind that this particular (eMMC lockup) bug has been identified in almost every Galaxy S II and Note variant in the world.  We're just a little piece of the puzzle, I'd rather they fix it for everyone.

I agree with that. The enabling of MMC_CAP_ERASE sets a flag in a structure called s3c_sdhci_platdata. In there it is basically determined if and when the kernel can do trim/erase on an emmc. That's something that has a bug not very far upstream, the actual issue is half hardware half software. Disabling it for the time being comes at the cost of 6% slower emmc operations. Which, funnily enough, is the case in the S3.

In the end what we need is a stable and solid update that provides enhancements for each phone user/owner without introducing new risks.  And if you expected ICS when you bought your E4GT then you should want this even if it means waiting a little longer.

Oh, I am running ICS. If Samsung would release the kernel sources I could even run it without the emmc bug in a few minutes of work and a little compiler action

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you're not already following this thread on XDA I'd recommend doing so:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1644364

This is where we've been documenting the research and progress on this eMMC bug in particular.

Highlighted
Wizard

Nothing to see here (in this post... as it's been edited to remove erroneous info), Please move along...

Cheers,

Highlighted
Journeyman

That thread, specifically the fear is bricking, is the only reason I haven't rooted it... yet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Beg your pardon?  Guess I don't follow when you say nothing to see here...

Highlighted
Journeyman

As to rooting, the Odin One-click method provided on XDA is 100% safe from the eMMC bug.  But if you want to go with a custom ICS-based ROM you should read carefully.  As long as you do that you'll be fine.

Highlighted
Journeyman

T-Mobile and AT&T both have a ics updates for their GSII's. Sprint is just slacking off. What are they making that's so different from the other company's updates? As far asi 've seen from XDA leaks nothing important at all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint you are late again. Both AT&T and T-mobile are able to upgrade the phone to ICS while there is not any news come from you. This makes you look so bad.

Highlighted
Journeyman

People are never satisfied... When most of you purchased your epic touc... ics update wasn't even relevant... Until word got around that it is capable of being updated to ics... Complaining won't update your phone... You bought the phone with no intentions of updating it... So get over it or buy a new phone... Or root your phone...

Highlighted
Journeyman

i was told when i bought the phone it would update in a couple of months. i asked first. they said yes it would. so it did matter

Highlighted
Journeyman

Man chill out. I got mine with the whole intention of upgrading to ICS. Guess what... I'm running ICS on mine right now. Sorry but I'm not waiting for sprints slow ass.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat