cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi connecting to secure router?

Go to solution
Journeyman

I've been trying to get my phone to connect to my home router (a Netgear b/g/n). I've secured it with wpa/wpa2 and mac address filtering. All informtion is entered correctly both in the router and on the phone, but it won't connect. I recently took a trip and found that it _would_ connect to an open network (no WEP/WPA), but even the simple WEP security on the router at my destination was too much for it. Has anyone encountered this and if so, were you able to resolve it?

I've already connected 2 laptops and 3 game consoles/devices to the router so I'm pretty sure I have the sequence down 8^), just don't know why the phone goes into a "scanniing/connecting/disconnected" cycle.

17 REPLIES 17
Journeyman

What kind of phone? Which firmware/version of Android?

Journeyman

It's the Galaxy S II/Epic 4G Touch, which is why I posted the question in the Epic 4G Touch forum 8^). As for the Android version, it looks to be 2.3.4, kernel version 2.6.35.7-SPH-D710.EG30-CL435734. Thanks ...

Highlighted
Journeyman

It could be that you may have to open an additional port on your router, but without further knowledge of your setup, it's really hard to pin down the issue. You may have success resetting your router, but beyond that, I can't really help much.

Journeyman

Thanks for responding. Not sure what you mean by "open an additional port". There's rarely more than 2 devices connected wirelessly at any time, so there should be plenty of open IPs available. As for the setup, it's a Netgear wireless-N router of fairly recent vintage - does both the 2.4GHz and 5.whatever GHz bands. I've tried both bands (different SSIDs) to no effect. I have mac filtering enabled, but haven't had any issues setting up other devices (2 laptops, xbox 360, PS3, PSP). It's wierd that it connects fine to open (no wep/wpa) networks but won't connect to anything secure.

Wizard

Well, this phone definitely works in all those situations because I've had a lot of different setups including what you're doing, so I think its probably something to do with your mac filtering?  Are you certain you have it entered correctly?  I know, silly question, but that's hamstringed me a couple times. 

Are you connecting to the n band?  what version of netgear do you have?

Wizard

have you disabled mac filtering and it still doesn't work?

Journeyman

Thanks for the replies. I'll try disabling the mac filtering temporarily to see if that works. As far as the info, I've triple-checked that the SSID, mac address, and password are all correct - also making sure I'm using the WiFi mac and not the 4G mac. So if turning off the filtering works, and I verify (again) that all the parameters are correct, I guess it means there's a communication issue between the phone and the router when using mac filtering?

I'm not at home right now so I can't get the model number of the Netgear, but I think it's something like WNR2700 or WNR3700 - definitely a model from the last year or so.

Journeyman

The model number is WNDR3700. Turning off mac filtering (what they term "access control") had no effect. All addresses/passwords checked again and match. In the process of installing a router firmware upgrade.

Wizard

Please identify the exact model number.  Is it dual band?  I have a Netgear dual band 2.4 & 5Ghz DSL modem / router combo and my Epic 2 4G Touch only reliably connects to the 5Ghz band with WPA/WPA2 PSK. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

It is dual-band, and it's a router only, the modem is separate. Upgrading the router firmware failed, of course with no reason specified. The model number listed on the box is WNDR3700-100NAS. I've tried connecting on both bands (they have separate SSIDs) and neither works.

Wizard

OK, upon reading through all the information, this is my understanding. 

You are unable to connect to any wifi network utilizing encryption of any kind (WEP while traveling and WPA/WPA2 at home). 

Connecting to open networks works as expected. 

If this is correct, you can rule out an issue with the Netgear since the problem happens when you are not home.  Also, opening ports etc would have no bearing on this issue as you are not even getting past the initial handshake between the two devices. 

This looks like you might have a setting issue on the phone.  I assume you tried the Add Wi-Fi network option (under WiFi Setting on the phone) to manually enter all the setting and that failed as well.  It should since it is the same as what you've tried only manually inputting the SSID. 

Have you tried hard resetting the phone and removing the battery before starting it up again? If that fails I'm afraid a software restore or hardware replacement may be in your future. 

Cheers,

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat