Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Galaxy S II ever get Jellybean???

Highlighted
Journeyman

Will Galaxy S II ever get Jellybean???

Will my Galaxy S II ever get the Jelly Bean update? This happens to me everytime. I always end up with phone the get discontinued and or don't receive any upgrades

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Re: Will Galaxy S II ever get Jellybean???

Hello, So far no announcement has been made of an upgrade to JB for the Galaxy SII. Keep checking back from time to time, Chris.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Wizard

Sprint is about done testing Jelly Bean and will be releasing it to this phone. There is no date for it to come out, but we should see it real soon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

when they say done testing it... what exactly does that mean? Did they test ICS? We all know that ICS turned our batteries round and made our phones reboot... Who exactly test JB and how do you know?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes.  This phone is getting JB.  Soon.  Very, very soon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes.  This phone is getting JB.  Soon.  Very, very soon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint's HTC EVO 4G LTE is getting JB today so the GS2's should be just around the corner...

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's already out on the Internet - Sprint just hasn't come to approve a test build yet (at least that we know of)

Last one we thought was FK23 - now seems up in the air.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I loaded FL04 last night. I also have a S3 on 14 day trial.

Voice service is only on the S3, but with WiFi, I'm able to have both phones active for web, email, calendar, contacts.

They are almost the same in every way. There are function differences that are a bit annoying on the S3.

1.) it is just slightly too large for one handed use, which is how I use the S2 90% of the time . I have relatively long fingers. Measured from tip of my pinky to tip of my thumb is 9.5" Even with this, I find I often am fumbling the phone when reaching my thumb to the top of the screen. I do this alot, so I thus far fumble the phone alot. Perhaps I will get used to it. I'm not sure.

2.) I hate the home button, and losing search across the bottom. Samsung is just plain stupid on this one. It is two taps to search in many applications and since they are not consistent with their placement, you are sometimes searching for "search". I also am sure the home button will be a problem because it means a far greater likelihood of mechanical failure, due to salt from sweat on your fingers, or if you spill somehting on the screen, or simply cleaning the screen with alcohol which I did several times a week on the S2 for sanitary reasons.

I don't like Pressing power then swiping the screen to unlock, then tapping Home button to get home. I did find one workaround which is to set the Lock screen to none, so you can just tap the Home button to wake up the phone, however the home doesn't take you home then, it just wakes up the screen, but that comes with a tradeoff: It also means that you must at times press the Home button several times to actually return to home. 

Of course I'm also paying $3 per month MORE in total protection for the phone. Could this be part of the reason for that?

Back to sanitary issues: Do you have any idea how germ infested your fingers are at the end of a day? I regularly clean the entire surfaces of the phone. DId I say it loudly enough, a physical button on the face of the phone is just plain stupid. I know the iPhone has it. Enough said.

3.) HUGE: the S2 goes into Data Roaming guard frequently, throughut the day, going offline from voice service, in my case indicating disconnection from the Airvana (Airave) I require at my home to have Sprint service. The S3 doesn't.  This is huge.

4.) There are other minor differences. The Swype leyboard on the S3 does not have the Voice button next to the Enter key. This was something I told Swype they needed to get rid of because I tapped it often. They agreed and said many have complained. But I did sometimes use it, so how do you access it? For whatever reason, it is still there on the S2.

The connection manager on the S3 is a useful feature, and when 4G LTE is finally available, (Sprint changing their tower equipemnt) it will have superior Cellular data capabilities to the useless 4G I've paid $10 per month extra on 3 phones for 2.5 years to not have. I do however live in a very remote part of the country however, Tampa. 

5.) The only setup issue thus far was the same on the S3: The initial setup of my live.com, Exchange Active Synch email when set to 1 month takes hours and hours to initially load. It only permits download of 3 or so messages, then "sleeps". 

Overall FL04 is far superior to everything prior and definitely breathes new life into the phone.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat