cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Samsung Epic4G Touch be upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich?

Journeyman

I sure do hope our phones get to see the ICS upgrade...it would be a shame if they did not...but we will all be buying new phones this time next year or so...with them changing the 4g service...our phones will work but the new 4g service will be a lot better and we will all want phones that take advantage of it...

But back to this question...I say Yes...we will see ICS on our Epic Touch....

Journeyman

Panzer06... Android is NOT an overlay.. Sense motoblur and touch wiz are all overlays.

Highlighted
Wizard

poor choice of words, i understand it is the os, however it is a more open os capable of being applied to various hardware and not blessed with a highly controlled centralized code base. therefore we must alway wait for google, then the hardware oem and finally the carrier before updates can be performed.  apple on the other hand controls the os, and hardware and additionally dictates to the carriers so when apple releases an update it goes out to all the supported phones.

The freedom we enjoy on android is also a curse that can delay or prevent updates. 

personally i'm fine with the os as it stands today so i'm in no hurry to see ics on my phone or my xoom.

cheers,

Journeyman

A little good news....

Samsung is saying the Galaxy S II will get the ICS update.. But then we will have to wait for Sprint to push it out (with their overlay).. correct??

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396532,00.asp

Re: Will Samsung Epic4G Touch be upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich?

The updates come from Samsung. Sprint tests them before releasing them. They do not make modifications to it after getting it from Samsung.

Journeyman

Maybe I'm using the wrong term (overlay).  But doens't Sprint add their own software and or/bloatware?.  How do they lockdown services on the phone that you can only access by rooting the phone?

I'm pretty sure Sprint tells Samsung what they want and Samsung handles it all.

When Froyo was released for the Epic 4G Samsung posted the update on their web site before Sprint announced it was available and the OTA started. If Sprint had to modify it after Samsung, you wouldn't think that would have happend.

Also, all the Gingerbread leaks for the Epic supposedly came straight from someone at Samsung...with all the Sprint branding and apps on it already.

Journeyman

Hmm...Interesting....So Samsung would do that for all carriers that use their phones?  No wonder it takes so long to get phones updated. On another note....This is my first android phone.  I was a blackberry user for years.  I consider myself pretty techy, but visting xda and trying to learn about rooting and installing custom ROMS has been a little daunting.  I like the phone as is, but enjoy tweaking and modifying.    I've been doing it since my first computer - the Vic 20.  ;-)  Anyone who is into rooting and installing ROMs, I would enjoy hearing the advantages/disadvantages of doing so. 

Journeyman

T-Mobile already has Icecream Sandwich on their Samsung. Just saw it last week. I really like the biometric unlock feature. When is Sprint getting this again?

Journeyman

T-Mobile already has Icecream Sandwich on their Samsung. Just saw it last week. I really like the biometric unlock feature. When is Sprint getting this again?

Journeyman

RcyberN,

I followed the steps on rooting my E4GT from XDA the day I got it. I still do not understand or tried custom ROMS, but I was able to get a few apps that require a rooted phone. Titanium Backup is pretty good. You can disable the Sprint bloatware you dont want. (will not show up in the app draw or take up memory). Also Root Explorer, was able to go in and disable the camera sounds. Stuff like that.

RcyberN wrote:

Hmm...Interesting....So Samsung would do that for all carriers that use their phones?  No wonder it takes so long to get phones updated. On another note....This is my first android phone.  I was a blackberry user for years.  I consider myself pretty techy, but visting xda and trying to learn about rooting and installing custom ROMS has been a little daunting.  I like the phone as is, but enjoy tweaking and modifying.    I've been doing it since my first computer - the Vic 20.  ;-)  Anyone who is into rooting and installing ROMs, I would enjoy hearing the advantages/disadvantages of doing so. 

Sprint Product Ambassador

@KRob3 - Samsung has no official release for ICS on Galaxy S II phones for any US carrier. There are several leaked ROMs from development, no official release. Samsung recently updated/removed information that the update would be this month. Information on their site is no official date given for a US release.

"Samsung's Philippines branch has announced on its official website that the international version of the Galaxy S II (GT-I9100) will officially get its bump up to Android 4.0 starting this Saturday, March 10th"

Disclaimer: I am NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped or answered your question, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat