cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Samsung Epic4G Touch be upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich?

Journeyman

Just curious to hear any news of possible upgrade and when if anyone knows.

Thanks.

37 REPLIES
Wizard

RcyberN,

So far there's only a couple of devices that have actually been officially confirmed for getting ICS. No news yet on Epic Touch unfortunately.

Wizard

Don't take Shane_M's message to mean it won't get it.  Many people will see that post and start to heavily fla.me on Sprint.  We are all hopeful it will get it, and there is no reason why it shouldn't.  Specwise its nearly identical to the Galaxy Nexus.  There's so little information coming out about ICS, its a bit ridiculous.  All I know is that if the new G+ app is any indication of nice UI tweaks, we are going to all be pretty happy with ICS.

Besides, XDA will have ICS running on the Epic 4G Touch soon, I'd wager.

Journeyman

MmEJ27,

Yeah, I kinda posted topic on purpose to stir the pot a little.  I've been doing some research out on the web looking for information.  I couldn't find anything.  I just hope if it does get updated it's not two years from now...

I've been to XDA...but a little paranoid to root the phone.  Have you ever rooted successfully?  If I mess it up, can I revert back to the orginal OS?  I have installed Samsung Kies in preperation to root, but haven't taken the plunge yet. I'm pretty much tied to my phone.  If I brick it, I'd be lost.

Thanks for your reply.

John

GrandMaster

from what i have heard here and there theyre taking things a little slower with ICS since the last few updates google had came with alot of issues. rumor of course but personally id much rather have it take a bit and be right the first time than get a rush job that cripples my phone.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others where we can when we can. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I just got the epic touch yesterday. I hope they egt the upgrade to ICS too. The phone should be able to handle it without lag. Its a very fast pfone..

Master

At this time we do not have any phones that work with that operating system and have no information on when it might be released.  So far there are not even many unsubstantiated rumors about it

Journeyman

The answer would be yes with an unknown timeline.  Follow this link to read more.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-confirms-what-we-already-guessed-new-tabs-galaxy-s-ii-and-gala...

Journeyman

Thanks for the responses....Much appreciated.

Journeyman

If it makes you feel better, developers are already porting ICS over to the original Epic 4G, also I beleive google started stating that phones must recieve updates for 18 months at least (Don't quote me on this though, I don't have time to confirm at the moment), it's a good bet to say the Epic Touch will get the update.  The question is when, Samsung and Sprint have been horribly slow with Epic 4G updates.