cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Samsung Epic4G Touch be upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich?

Journeyman

Re: Will Samsung Epic4G Touch be upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich?

For everyone in this thread that wants to know about ICS for the E4GT(SGS2) on Sprint.  Yes it is going to be getting it there are TEST builds of the 4.0.3 rom running around over on XDA.  I however do NOT suggest most people use them at all.  One of the newest builds in FC07 (made March 7th) which for the most part is actually reptty decent.  Yes it is comming but any Sprint employee that is on this forum is NOT going to give you an answer or they will give you the normal info.  If people want actual proof I can post screens of the build but right now I'm currently NOT running it as I went back to AOKP (however I do use the FC07 modem file) that came with the latest leaked rom.

In short yes this phone will get it give it time honestly outside of a few minor issues that need to be resolved the rom runs nice.

Journeyman

T-Mobile does not have ICS officially what you most likely saw was a leaked rom someone was running.  Just like every other ICS build currently out for any SGS2 they are not official.

Journeyman

Its plain and simple. Business, Money for Samsung and Sprint. Thet could have released the upgrade

long ago BUT they haven't sold enouch Nexus with ICS YET, If they upgrade the millions of 4g touch too soon

It hurts their bottom line. Plus there are a lot of new phones already here and SOON to come with ICS. Where

is the MONEY in upgrading already sold handsets? There is none.

Master

chskas wrote:

Its plain and simple. Business, Money for Samsung and Sprint. Thet could have released the upgrade

long ago BUT they haven't sold enouch Nexus with ICS YET, If they upgrade the millions of 4g touch too soon

It hurts their bottom line. Plus there are a lot of new phones already here and SOON to come with ICS. Where

is the MONEY in upgrading already sold handsets? There is none.

While a conspiracy theory sounds great... it has no basis in reality, at least from the carrier. I can't speak for the manufacturer, but Sprint does not take new device launches into account for when software updates are released for already launched devices.

Software updates are handled by the manufacturer with feedback from Sprint regarding specific issues our customers are seeing and features Sprint wants added to the devices, like retail diagnostic applications that have to be loaded on the actual production version of the devices, background services for things like Sprint Drive First and parental controls, etc.

Wizard

As far as the process of software updates, halcyoncmdr is on right on the money. I just wanted to chime in on the topic of Sprint's best financial interests as far as maintaining an existing device versus selling a new, discounted device. Sprint doesn't make money on selling phones, we make money providing cellular service. We actually lose a significant amount of money on discounted upgrades. We make up for this loss over the course of the contract our customers sign. We make far more money if customers are able to continue using their existing devices, so keeping devices in working order is always a priority. So, it's quite the opposite of the theory suggested.

-Donnie

Journeyman

Lesson learned, never buying a Samsung device again unless it's Nexus. Samsung's build quality isn't good, it's not average, it's shitty. Their support as for upgrades is not good, it's not average, it's shitty. Knew this before I jumped onto SII but thought they might have learned some lessons from Galaxy S but am being proven wrong. Stability wise as well my EVO never crashed in about 2 years that I had it, this device crashes and hangs up at random. It's not a daily occurance but I have had it crash at least once during an active call.

Master

sprint_user_0 wrote:

Lesson learned, never buying a Samsung device again unless it's Nexus. Samsung's build quality isn't good, it's not average, it's ******. Their support as for upgrades is not good, it's not average, it's ******. Knew this before I jumped onto SII but thought they might have learned some lessons from Galaxy S but am being proven wrong. Stability wise as well my EVO never crashed in about 2 years that I had it, this device crashes and hangs up at random. It's not a daily occurance but I have had it crash at least once during an active call.

I haven't had any issues with my Epic Touch crashing or hanging. All of my crashes or hangs were caused by an application I was using, never the phone or Android software on it. Have you attempted to clear the cache and data on the applications you have issues with to see if that helps? If not it may be a corrupted file or something causing an issue and a hard reset may fix it.

Wizard

^This. I too had no issues with the sgs2 except poor gps reception. No crashes or hangs. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

I'm glad you guys had better experience than mine. Did you use stock or custom ROM? Like I said the EVO for me never crashed, and I used almost the same apps on the EVO. I do agree, however, that crashes I experienced were probably due to apps. Don't get me even started about the GPS. There is a known GPS issue with a lot of ET4G handsets, but who is responsible for fixing it is a mystery to me.

Journeyman

using stock everything, my e4gt is hands down BEST phone I've ever had. Had an EVO from launch date, it couldn't even see this phone, much less keep up with it. Display, stability, sound, and signal on E4GT kills EVO. And get ready cause Samsung is about to smash on HTC again with the GS3. As for the ICS update, yes, Sprint DOES add to the build once Google and whichever manufacturer are finished, then they release it, and if FD24 IS the official OTA update, you guys are about to be really disappointed that you waited so long for Gingerbread version 1.5! I'm ready for GS3, and Jellybean, on another carrier of course, which Google is set to publicly debut in June at their I/O conference! Rest assured, Sprint will make good on their word, E4GT WILL get the upgrade, and it's likely coming in the next 7-10 days judging by test results being leaked.

420donpapi wrote:

As for the ICS update, yes, Sprint DOES add to the build once Google and whichever manufacturer are finished, then they release it, and if FD24 IS the official OTA update, you guys are about to be really disappointed that you waited so long for Gingerbread version 1.5! I'm ready for GS3, and Jellybean, on another carrier of course, which Google is set to publicly debut in June at their I/O conference! Rest assured, Sprint will make good on their word, E4GT WILL get the upgrade, and it's likely coming in the next 7-10 days judging by test results being leaked.

Sprint does not add anything to the build after it is created by Samsung. Everything Sprint wants in it is done by Samsung. Proof of this can be seen in leaks that come from Samsung...they already have all the Sprint stuff in them. Sprint just tests it after Samsung builds it. ICS looks a lot like Gingerbread because of Samsung's Touchwiz interface. A lot of the features added by ICS have already been available on Samsung phones through Touchwiz. So no, ICS is not a huge upgrade, nor a very noticeable one, on a phone running Touchwiz. This is pretty much the same on any phone that isn't stock Android.

Journeyman

Everyone wants ICS for the wrong reason. It's UI isn't any different than Gingerbread. The battery life is what I want. Most people act like they're BF deprived of a new phone. If that's what you want go get one. A for the GPS lock, mine won't connect unless I have all GPS features enabled, otherwise works seamlessly. This is my second handset as I broke the first. Seems to me like it might be user error...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat