cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Sprint/Samsung Ever Stand Behind Galaxy S2 and Address GPS Nightmare?

Journeyman

Will Sprint/Samsung Ever Stand Behind Galaxy S2 and Address GPS Nightmare?

I regret that I'm not very tech savvy and I made the mistake of assuming that if I purchased the most expensive and highly acclaimed smartphone from a company I thought could be trusted (Sprint and Samsung), I could expect the highest quality product and help if there were any problems. Unfortunately, I was proven wrong when I discovered that the GPS on my Epic 4G Touch (the only reason I chose a smartphone over a regular cell phone) was defective. I visited 2 local Sprint stores and they denied any knowledge of ongoing issues with the GPS and exchanged the phone twice. This, of course, was not an issue unique to the 3 phones I've tried but the defect has been reported by hundreds and hundreds of trusting folks who are also stuck with one of the primary functions of their "premium" smartphone being totally worthless. If anyone from Sprint or Samsung bothers to read their customer feedback, or anyone in the Sprint Community could offer me some guidance, it would be much appreciated..

14 REPLIES 14
Wizard

Re: Will Sprint/Samsung Ever Stand Behind Galaxy S2 and Address GPS Nightmare?

sportmodel,

Thank you for the post. I would be happy to assist with the issue. What are you experiencing with the GPS? Is it the same problem even after the device was replaced?

Thank you,

Chris

Journeyman

I feel your frustration and of course no one will respond to this besides other users.  My husband is experiencing the same problem because he upgraded when the new software became available.  GPS still does not work and he lost all of his phone contacts at the same time.  I bet users with flip phones are not having these issues, the smart phones are being serviced by humans not so smart.  I did not upgrade my software when it came out (we have same phones as you) and I have not had the problems. I always wait until I see what the fallout is going to be - from experience.  When husband went to Sprint store for the THIRD time, they finally admitted the problem and there were so many angry customers in the stores there was a guy announcing on the loud speaker that they were aware of the problem and there was nothing they could do to fix it in the store but they would take your name and number.  What the hell good would that be other than to pacify the angry mob?  10 days later, his navigation is still out.  No upgrade for me ... still working fine.  Oh except anytime someone sends me a text, I will get a repeat of that text endlessly for hours unless we both reset our phones at the same time.  Does no good if I do it first and they don't, or if they do it and then I do it afterwards.  Has to be at the same time.  This morning after shutting down overnight, I got those same messages so far 25 times.

Journeyman

Hi Chris. Thanks for the reply. You are the first person with Sprint who has indicated a willingness to help without first making a blanket denial that the GPS problems with the Galaxy S2 isn't a common occurrence (which I think is absolute deception). I've had the phone for about 18 months now. After the first few weeks of trying to use GPS services such as Telenav, Google Navigation, Maps, etc.,  it became obvious that something was wrong. I called tech support and they walked me through several steps to reset the phone and change some settings, and advised that if I still had a problem, to exchange the device for a replacement. Their remedies were unsuccessful so I visited the Sprint Store. I was told that they were unaware of any widespread GPS problems with this model and that I probably had a defective GPS antenna. They exchanged the phone and suggested that I try it out in different locations and settings, but there was no improvement. Some time after that, I had to make an insurance claim through Sprint Total Protection due to a cracked screen. The phone was again replaced (after paying the deductible), and just like the first two phones, the replacement would display "searching for satellites", sometimes for 10 minutes, sometimes for an hour. If the GPS did finally lock on satellites, within 2-15 minutes, it would lose the signal and go back to "searching" for an indefinite amount of time. I tried all of the suggestions I could find on various web sites such as switching on and off of airplane mode, clearing the cache, uninstalling and reinstalling the various app's in addition to installing the GPS Status Application. None of these processes have corrected the problem (the exact same problem on all 3 phones). On more than one occasion, the GPS would finally finally lock on the satellites, and then suddenly drop the signal ( leaving me lost) or show my position as being hundreds of miles away. Not only that, the location check for the total protection app is useless without an accurate GPS, so if my phone is ever lost or stolen, this highly touted benefit of Sprint Total Protection is unavailable to me. I want to be reasonable and am open to any suggestions you might have. If we cannot rectify the problem, I think it would be fair to ask for a different model with features at least equal to all of the features I was promised when I was sold the Galaxy S2. Thanks for your help.

Journeyman

I know exactly how you feel about getting away from the nightmare that is known as the S2 and the ICS upgrades. I had two refurbished phones sent to me to replace the original S2 that I bought and all of them had nothing but problems because of the upgrade. I had more problems with my second refurbished phone on Thanksgiving day. Because I had all these problems with all three of these phones in eight months I was given the opportunity by Sprint over the phone to get another dung pile S2 our lateral over to a phone equal to the S2. I was given the options of a Motorla Photon 4G4g or HTC Evo 3D. I jumped at the chance and went with the Motorola and have been happy to leave that junk S2 behind once and for all. Just recently I had the ultimate comparison of my new phone against that S2 that I owned this past Christmas at my parents house. In the past at my parents house using that S2 I couldn't browse the internet at all necause the phone would not pick up a signal, when texting almost all the time the text couldn't be sent and had to be resent numerous times before it would make it through. When I tried my Photon 4G at my parents house on Christmas inside the house I was able to use my phone and browse the internet every time I wanted to. I must point out that although my Motorola did outperform that S2 handsdown I still had difficulty accessing the 4G network. The option is there for you to get out of that S2 because I am living proof. If you are fed up with that phone then seek the equivalent to the S2.

Journeyman

Sorry about your issue.

It might help as well to Look in this thread http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/samsung/samsung_epic_...

Thats the thread for your model. This is the Google Galaxy Nexus Thread.

Also for contact. You might want to have your husband to start using Gmail to keep all his contact in. They will sync with the phone, and he never has a chance at losing them.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Chris,

We are approaching 2 weeks since you replied that you would assist me with this issue but I haven't heard back from you. Please let me know if it is still your intention to help resolve the problem I've been having since the day I purchased the Galaxy S2. If you can't help me, please advise as to how I can escalate this to the appropriate department. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

Journeyman

Thanks for the response. I would welcome the opportunity to lateral over to a phone equal to the S2 but have yet to be given that option from Sprint or Samsung. Hopefully, if I keep this issue before them, someone will step up to the plate and do what's right.

Journeyman

Thanks for pointing out that I was posting to the wrong thread. As I mentioned, I'm still a newbie when it comes to using computer technology for communication. I believe I've now successfully moved the discussion to the appropriate location. I'm not sure why my question is marked "assumed answered". Although several individuals in the Sprint Community have been kind enough to reply, I wouldn't consider my original question to be "assumed answered" until someone with Sprint or Samsung actually takes steps to correct the problem I continue to experience because of their faulty equipment.

Journeyman

GPS locks are a touchy thing, most people have had issues with it at one point or another.

Here's some tips to help resolve that:

1) If you're not on the current version of FI27 make sure you're on this or a later (JB) leak.

FF18 and other versions had issues with this, it's been resolved for some time now.

2) Some people find a good ol' factory reset and starting with a clean slate gives a super quick lock.

Make sure you back everything else up.

I continue to and will until officially released offer the suggestion of considering a JB build.

They really are that much better and will probably fix most of your issues.

Journeyman

Thanks for the advice garwynn. Im already on F127 and have again tried factory reset. Still no GPS lock. When chris_ra (a Sprint rep!!) promised to help, i was hopeful. I'm terribly disappointed that it has been almost a month since he offered his assistance and i haven't heard another word from him. I really wish Sprint would exchange my defective S2 for a phone that has features that aren't defectve and does the things they represent that it will do. Suggestions anyone?

Journeyman

Is anyone surprised that Chris_ra never came back to help this customer?

The "Searching for GPS" is a real issue with this phone.. Happens all the time.. I restart it when I need to rely on GPS..  I can launch Navigation and wait for days for the GPS to "Search" for a satellite and it never will find one.... but if I restart the phone it finds it immediately..  

This is just one more example of how lousy the network radios are in Samsung phones.   I have problems with all the networking functionalty - WiFi, Mobile broadband, GPS, and even Bluetooth.   If you want a reliable phone for data buy a different brand.  Motorola probably being the best for network reliability.   Samsung simply hasn't figured it out yet.

Bryan

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat