ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Sprint/Samsung Ever Stand Behind Galaxy S2 and Address GPS Nightmare?

Journeyman

Re: Will Sprint/Samsung Ever Stand Behind Galaxy S2 and Address GPS Nightmare?

Unfotunately, I am unable to help with this problem.  I have gone through a good dozen phones with GPS capability, and none of them have been very reliable, in my experience.  If you need a reliable GPS reciever, I suggest you acquire a dedicated device.

Wizard

DarkAvionics wrote:

Unfotunately, I am unable to help with this problem.  I have gone through a good dozen phones with GPS capability, and none of them have been very reliable, in my experience.  If you need a reliable GPS reciever, I suggest you acquire a dedicated device.

That's not really accurate.  I have the S3 and I get fantastic GPS locks instantly, in buildings, in storms, driving, etc.  The problem is the architecture of how they did the GPS chip in the S2 (Epic 4G Touch) and also on the old Epic 4G.  It's an underpowered combination chip and a cheap sensor to boot.  So there is nothing that software can do to completely fix the Epic 4G Touch GPS issues - countless developers have looked into it with widely varying results.  However, they have remedied this issue with the S3 and Note phones with different GPS hardware.  I really suggest people stop buying this phone and start looking into ways to get into a S3, Note2 or LG optimus G OR flash Garwynn's leaked ROMs, they do help with GPS.  My wife has my Epic 4G Touch and allowed me to test Garwynn's roms with her phone, the GPS does work better, but not like my S3.  GA10, GA23 or GA24, whatever the final will be, OTA should happen in February, I'd guess.

Oh and I'd never, ever, ever, depend on a Sprint person on these forums actually doing anything with the information you give them.  About 2 years ago, this place was very helpful and information reached people, but now its just reboot, remove battery, factory reset.  That's all they know.  Call into Sprint and open a ticket.  That's the only way it'll move.  I do recommend going to XDA and reading more about the phone.  You don't have to flash anything or change anything, but you will quickly discover what is fixable and what just IS on this phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

mmark27_ wrote:

DarkAvionics wrote:

That's not really accurate.

What, that I am unable to help with this problem, that my experience dictates that cell-phone GPS are often unreliable, or that a dedicated GPS device can be more reliable than a cell-phone GPS?

mmark27_ wrote:

I have the S3 and I get fantastic GPS locks instantly, in buildings, in storms, driving, etc.  The problem is the architecture of how they did the GPS chip in the S2 (Epic 4G Touch) and also on the old Epic 4G.  It's an underpowered combination chip and a cheap sensor to boot.  So there is nothing that software can do to completely fix the Epic 4G Touch GPS issues - countless developers have looked into it with widely varying results.  However, they have remedied this issue with the S3 and Note phones with different GPS hardware.  I really suggest people stop buying this phone and start looking into ways to get into a S3, Note2 or LG optimus G OR flash Garwynn's leaked ROMs, they do help with GPS.  My wife has my Epic 4G Touch and allowed me to test Garwynn's roms with her phone, the GPS does work better, but not like my S3.  GA10, GA23 or GA24, whatever the final will be, OTA should happen in February, I'd guess.

This, I will have to take your word for.

mmark27_ wrote:

Oh and I'd never, ever, ever, depend on a Sprint person on these forums actually doing anything with the information you give them.  About 2 years ago, this place was very helpful and information reached people, but now its just reboot, remove battery, factory reset.  That's all they know.  Call into Sprint and open a ticket.  That's the only way it'll move.

Again, in my experience, there are those who are just turning pages in a standard troubleshooting manual, and there are those who actually try to help and do actually get things done. I went the trouble-call route with my menu-popup issue, and was stonewalled at the store (didn't help that I was pressed for time); however, I brought information to these forums which was acted upon-- there are several threads here addressing that menu problem, and one thread in particular where we have enough details to print out and force the repair centers to actually recognize the issue and implement the fix, or barring that get a replacement phone from Sprint.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat