cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the Jelly Bean update fix issues?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Will the Jelly Bean update fix issues?

Is there any indication that the pending Jelly Bean update will solve any of the multiple issues that have arisen from the ICS update such as the battery drain issue, poor connectivity, random restating to name a few. I've heard the hype as to how good the update is but nothing on whether it addresses the known issues caused by the ICS update. Is there anyone who has experienced the known ICS issues upgraded to JB and seen any improvement with reception and battery life?

16 REPLIES 16
Journeyman

Re: Will the Jelly Bean update fix issues?

I have FK09 (the leaked test build) and here's what i know:

Wi-Fi issues seem gone.

Reboot issues gone - but that's probably becasue it wipes everything when it updates (except for external MicroSD card).  Had they done this with ICS I suspect half the issues experienced wouldn't have happened.. and I actually hope that as long as a backup option is provided that they require this for the JB update.

Battery - just replaced my battery 3 weeks ago due to bulging.  JB got me 21 hours on moderate use.  Big burner is data - if you kill the signal when not using it will REALLY extend the battery life.

Minor issues though - no contact photos allowed or you'll get a blank screen when dialing.  Also have to turn off a phone setting or it will randomly mute.

Other than that this build has breathed new life into the phone and makes it just as good as a GS3, especially if you were okay with 3G/WiMax.  Check out the screenshots and reviews on the 'net - easiest keyword is FK09.

Journeyman

I didn't know that the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch would be getting the 4.1 JB update.

Would be some excellen news though. Do you know if Samsung/Sprint has confirmed?

Journeyman

It's in development and word on the street is that internal testing is going on within Sprint.

Here's the latest build that we know of (fresh from this morning)

http://device.sprintpcs.com/Samsung/SPH-D710/FK20.rdf

The version will prove what I'm saying.  You can also find the FK09 leak available out in the 'Net.

Journeyman

Garwynn you are a great asset to this community.

Is FK09 safe to use?  I had it for about 24 hours and loved it but then it crashed when the profile updated and it did that strange emergency call thing.  Of course, this has also happened once since I went back to the stock ICS rom.

Thanks!

Journeyman

@CaptJim,

According to reports on XDA - which I have to rely on as my profile update went through OK - this appears to be limited to certain areas and happening on FI27 as well.

Since that's the case - meaning it's not version specific - perhaps the Buzz Techs can chime in and let us know why this may be happening in certain areas only.

There are two known issues with FK09:

1) Contact Pictures are not supported.  So after syncing, just stop the sync and remove the pictures!

2) When the screen turns off the call mutes.  There's now a phone settings menu and in there an option to turn off the display during calls.  Uncheck this and that problem is fixed.

Other than that it is rock solid for me and the best stock version for this phone that I have ever seen.  If we would have seen this instead of ICS I think a lot of customers would be very happy with their phone rather than frustrated with it.  So those of you on the fence, consider trying this out before jumping ship.  You may find that this breathes life into your phone... unless of course your battery really is going south.  (Seems like the battery life is only about 9 mos to a year for some reason.  The ICS timing honestly may just be a coincidence as my second phone, purchased in March, is rocking its battery on ICS without problems!)

Journeyman

Thank you very much for the good response.

I have to agree with you on FK09, it's like having a brand new phone that kicks a$$.  I will be going back to this version later today.

Journeyman

@CaptJim,

Since I'm not allowed to link and you obviously found it then you should know how to reach me on those sites if needed.

Be happy to offer any further assistance if needed.

Journeyman

Has anyone tried the stock email client with a hotmail account? The stock email client on this phone does not support HTML import of messages, without tapping "View Entire EMail" which often (50%) of the time hangs, requiring termination of the application. Additionally, synch of Read messages (on phone), Calendar, Contacts and Task/Todo are randomly not synched, with no errors and no indication of failure.

I tested my hotmail account at my local Sprint store and did not see the same issues with the latest version on the S3. The original S3 had similar problems to the S2.

I'm not about to buy an S3, lining Samsung's pockets, knowing Samsung should have fixed the original Epic, which I upgraded to the S2, a year ago, for the similar issues with Hotmail/Live that Sprint said "Will all be fixed on the S2!!!" They should be fixing the S2 to work like the s3 does with such basic "Smart Phone" functions.

These are software issues.  They need to be fixed, by fixing the software.

But Samsung is a hardware company, and wants us to fill landfills with their "old" phones.

Alternatively, does anyone know if you can download the S3 email client and run it on the S2? I asked Sprint but they referred me to Samsung. It seems this is becoming more and more common, the the carrier "punts" and "finger points" you off to the phone manufacturer for all but the most basic issues.

But isn't the fact email doesn't support HTML, and doesn't synch about as "basic" as you can get on a so called "smart" phone?

Journeyman

Gal,

Are you trying on the JB test version or are you still on ICS?

Don't have a HM account or would be willing to test it for you.

They made a few more updates since the leak.

Current is FK20, which I am hearing they will start OTA testing on.

Hopefully they'll have some of the rough edges, like the mute issue and blank screen when calling a contact with photo, resolved as well.

Journeyman

Ok, thanks. I stayed "factory" on the latest OTA ICS FI27.

Do you know if the email.apk is out there anywhere to download? Either the S3 or the FK09/20?

Journeyman

I can pull out the email.apk but not sure how it will behave since it's coming from JB.

Also you would need to probably remove the stock email.apk to avoid any issues.

If still interested PM me to discuss further.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat