cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wimax

Journeyman

Wimax

If I bought a phone labeled as 4G (whether Wimax or LTE - both of which are 4G) and my phone wasn't able to do both wouldn't that be false advertising?

If a company sold a product that supported only one standard and then moved in the direction of the other standard would that be consumer fraud?

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this thought.

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Wimax

E_Ack, I fully understand your concern. The way I view it is if someone lives in a 3G only area and chooses to purchase a 3G/4G/LTE device they are ready for when the 4G/LTE services come to the area. And if for some reason your not able to use the 4G/LTE on the device then the device is still useful it doesnt eliminate all functionality of the device.

Journeyman

Lilgeekygirl,

I fully understand what you're saying except for one fine point.  If I did not buy a phone that was touted as being 4G and was instead listed as a half-fangled concept called wimax, then this would all be different.

If i bought a phone knowing it was 3G and wimax, and then sprint dropped wimax in favor of 4G i would be upset but understanding that my phone was not a 4G phone.

However I bought an Epic 4G touch (note 4G in the name, not wimax).  So to be informed that Sprint is not bringing wimax to my area is hugely different then being told that Sprint is dumping 4G in favor of 4G but a 4G that i cannot use.

If my 4G phone cannot use 4G than what did i buy?  Can you see why it sorta seems like we were duped?

Wizard

Your failure to research the phone, it's capabilities and the services available in your area does not mean you were duped.  Even the the most basic search turns up specs for the Epic 4G Touch.  While I understand some of the marketing terminology used by carriers is purposefully misleading  (since almost anything faster than 1-2MB download is labeled 4G) it doesn't mean we consumers are freed from all obligations to take time and care before we spend $500+ on a phone.  Even having 4G WiMax in the area doesn't mean the phone will always receive WiMax service. 

The issue really isn't about deception and broken promises in the past but one of trust today.  If you and any other consumer feels burned by Sprint's prior actions you are less likely to trust they will reliably deploy 4G LTE throughout their entire network within a reasonably short timeframe.  If you're at that point in your relationship with Sprint where the capacity to trust is lost and you are neither willing nor able to move past the hurt of the past, perhaps it's time to start a fresh, new relationship with another carrier.  In the short term that new relationship will provide many of the needs and desires of those mobile data consumers looking for high throughput wherever they go.  However, they may find the cost of leaving and establishing a new relationship to be rather steep but if that trust is really gone and there's no getting it back they will do what they need to mitigate the difficulties and costs associated with making a change. 

Just sitting there and saying I was misled without deciding what you want from the relationship going forward isn't productive and won't be satisfying for either party.  Sprint will be stuck with an angry, bitter customer that complains all the time but won't leave and you the consumer will be stuck with a perceived liar, who you believe is indifferent to your plight and is unwilling to satisfy you no matter how much you complain. 

That doesn't sound pleasant for anyone. 

Cheers,

Panzer06 wrote:

Your failure to research the phone, it's capabilities and the services available in your area does not mean you were duped.  Even the the most basic search turns up specs for the Epic 4G Touch.  While I understand some of the marketing terminology used by carriers is purposefully misleading  (since almost anything faster than 1-2MB download is labeled 4G) it doesn't mean we consumers are freed from all obligations to take time and care before we spend $500+ on a phone.  Even having 4G WiMax in the area doesn't mean the phone will always receive WiMax service. 

The issue really isn't about deception and broken promises in the past but one of trust today.  If you and any other consumer feels burned by Sprint's prior actions you are less likely to trust they will reliably deploy 4G LTE throughout their entire network within a reasonably short timeframe.  If you're at that point in your relationship with Sprint where the capacity to trust is lost and you are neither willing nor able to move past the hurt of the past, perhaps it's time to start a fresh, new relationship with another carrier.  In the short term that new relationship will provide many of the needs and desires of those mobile data consumers looking for high throughput wherever they go.  However, they may find the cost of leaving and establishing a new relationship to be rather steep but if that trust is really gone and there's no getting it back they will do what they need to mitigate the difficulties and costs associated with making a change. 

Just sitting there and saying I was misled without deciding what you want from the relationship going forward isn't productive and won't be satisfying for either party.  Sprint will be stuck with an angry, bitter customer that complains all the time but won't leave and you the consumer will be stuck with a perceived liar, who you believe is indifferent to your plight and is unwilling to satisfy you no matter how much you complain. 

That doesn't sound pleasant for anyone. 

Cheers, 

Also there is the fourteen day return policy. As consumers we have the ability to take the phone back if it doesn't work as expected or for any other reason during this period. Here in Michigan we only have three days to return an new automobile if we change our mind on that purchase. So like Panzer06 said we need to do research, both before and after the purchase.  I still like my epic even with 3g only, Rick.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Whoa Whoa Whoa, first off, I think this has gotten a little bit out of hand, I never said I didn't like my Epic, and I think we should all understand dealing with wireless carriers in all their facets by now.  We all choose sprint over others for good reason.

Something Panzer wrote really stuck with me though, could someone explain:

Panzer06 wrote:
Even having 4G WiMax in the area doesn't mean the phone will always receive WiMax service.

This statement confuses me, perhaps I just have to do more research, but lets presume I'm in a WiMax covered area, in what circumstance would I not recieve WiMax?

Thanks.

Wizard

I travel extensively and there are many times where I receive a very strong WiMax signal and walk a few doors down and it drops back to 3G.  Also, it doesn't appear to penetrate buildings too well, something Sprint's Network Vision "claims" will be improved through the use of new frequencies, since on many occasions WiMax works outside but drops back inside to 3G.  Since our company uses Sprint and have a variety of the 4G WiMax handsets I can tell you we've had better luck the newer Samsung units automatically scanning for and reconnecting to 4G than the HTC EVO 4G and EVO Design 4Gs we use.  Either way 4G burns through battery when scanning so being in a marginal area kills the phone.  Many of us just keep it turned off unless we really need the 4G speeds. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

Panzer06 wrote:

I travel extensively and there are many times where I receive a very strong WiMax signal and walk a few doors down and it drops back to 3G.  Also, it doesn't appear to penetrate buildings too well, something Sprint's Network Vision "claims" will be improved through the use of new frequencies, since on many occasions WiMax works outside but drops back inside to 3G.  Since our company uses Sprint and have a variety of the 4G WiMax handsets I can tell you we've had better luck the newer Samsung units automatically scanning for and reconnecting to 4G than the HTC EVO 4G and EVO Design 4Gs we use.  Either way 4G burns through battery when scanning so being in a marginal area kills the phone.  Many of us just keep it turned off unless we really need the 4G speeds. 

Cheers,

You also have Verizon and tether your Verizon service to your Sprint phone when you are getting poor signal and data speeds correct?

Journeyman

E_Ack wrote:

This statement confuses me, perhaps I just have to do more research, but lets presume I'm in a WiMax covered area, in what circumstance would I not recieve WiMax?

Thanks.

I would say you should look at the Sprint coverage maps for your area as this is the tool that should be used prior to signing a 2 year contract.  If the Sprint maps show you have 4G coverage in your area and you do not, then I would say that Sprint is not providing the service they advertise.  Not sure what all you can do about it short of dealing with it or paying the ETF.  If you dont have 4G signal then dont expect 4G.

Wizard

Yes, I do and a darn handy accessory it is.  It's an iPad now instead of the Xoom but it does offer the consistent reliability we'd all like to see from Sprint's 4G service. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

Panzer06 wrote:

Yes, I do and a darn handy accessory it is.  It's an iPad now instead of the Xoom but it does offer the consistent reliability we'd all like to see from Sprint's 4G service. 

Cheers,

Maybe we'll receive consistent reliability if/when Sprint fully rolls out NV and LTE within these next two years.

It sucks though that Sprint raised the pricing to the mobile hotspot option.  So now to use my ipad with Sprint it will cost me $20 for 2GB's and $50 for 6GB's.

It use to be $30 for 5GB's right?

Wizard

If Sprint becomes reliable that would save me $10 since Verizon charges $30 for 2GB.  Though I may keep the Verizon for carrier diversity.  

Cheers,

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat