cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wimax

Journeyman

Re: Wimax

Panzer06 wrote:

If Sprint becomes reliable that would save me $10 since Verizon charges $30 for 2GB.  Though I may keep the Verizon for carrier diversity.  

Cheers,

Verizon doesnt do it like ATT and offer it in some of their phone data packages?  Meaning if you get the 5GB data plan for the ATT phone it includes the mobile hotspot.  So an individual line with 450 mins./unlimited texting and 5GB's with the mobile broadband option would be $110 with ATT.

Sprint would be $80 for the single line and then $50 more for the mobile broadband costing $130 a month.

So Verizon doesnt offer the mobile broadband with some of their phone data packages like ATT?

Wizard

It's not that.  I am using the iPad as a hotspot for $30 for 2GB.  To add hotspot to our sprint phone would be $20 and I could cancel the iPad data plan thereby saving $10.  Not likely anytime soon since I can't currently rely on sprint data everywhere. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

Panzer06 wrote:

It's not that.  I am using the iPad as a hotspot for $30 for 2GB.  To add hotspot to our sprint phone would be $20 and I could cancel the iPad data plan thereby saving $10.  Not likely anytime soon since I can't currently rely on sprint data everywhere. 

Cheers,

I believe we may be talking about the wrong thing.  The $20 for 2GB’s is for the cell phone mobile hotspot.  Meaning you would need an active cell account with Sprint first.  So $80 for cell service plus $20 for the 2GB’s you would be needing for your ipad.  This will give you a total of $100 a month.

If you have Verizon cell service then you don’t pay for the mobile broadband connect if you have atleast 2GB plan.  So it would be $90 for Verizon cell service with the 2GB of mobile broadband assuming this is enough since it will be shared between your device and phone.  Or you could get the 5GB’s with the cell service and it will be $110. You are comparing Verizons mobile broadband data plan only to the Sprint cell service add on. 

If you compared the Verizon mobile broadband only to the Sprint mobile broadband only then it will be $30/2GBs or $50/5GB’s with Verizon.  And it will be $35/3GB’s and $60/5GB’s with Sprint.

*Mobile Broadband Connect–Use your smartphone or basic phone as a modem to get instant online access on your computer. 1Requires a 2 GB data package or higher

Wizard

Our whole company is on sprint except for Verizon tablets which allow us to access the Verizon network when our sprint devices are too slow. 

Cheers,

Journeyman

This statement confuses me, perhaps I just have to do more research, but lets presume I'm in a WiMax covered area, in what circumstance would I not recieve WiMax?

I can tell you one real example that I faced. I used to get very good Wimax signal in my old office building. I recently moved to another building which is just one block away and I am not getting any signal. Now I thought maybe this block was out of coverage, but what I found was that my seat was away from window. I get very good signal near the window but not inside. I checked with one of my friends mobile who had AT&T LTE and he gets very good LTE signal even far away from window. So I did some research and found that their Wimax runs on 2.5 ghz or something frequency which doesn't works pretty good indoors because it cannot penetrate properly in buildings. Worse... their 3G sucks.

I called up their customer care and all they tried was reseting the phone and said I could buy a signal booster. Now I really regret buying the phone without doing proper research. I had to pay so much monthly bills for nothing. So when my contract is over this month I am getting out of Sprint. Since Sprint is also moving to LTE I guess the resale value of this phone will also be very low but I am definitely getting out of Sprint.

Wizard

Hello All,

Just as a general response to this whole thread I wanted to advise of some changes that Sprint has made to the Subscriber Agreement regarding WiMax.

These changes will include an agreement to purchase a WiMax device and clearly outline the eventual discontinuation of the WiMax network. The agreement will also include the fact that the customer understands they are signing up for Sprint 4G service and service plan (Regardless of the network technology LTE or WiMAX).

That being said, if a customer is on a WiMAX device and their market is notified of discontinuation there will be a few options:

1. The customer may elect to fulfill their current contract with the current device using 3G service.

2. The customer may elect to live out the agreement by contacting Sprint after receiving the notice and receive a free standard LTE capable device with no additional term commitment

3. The customer may elect to discontinue service on the WiMAX capable device line.

These changes took effect on May 22nd. There is currently no solid date or time table for decommissioning of the WiMAX network but this agreement has been put in place to cover the possibility of the network being shut off while still in contract.

If you have any further questions about this please let me know.

Thank you,

Chris

EDIT: 6/20/13 10am CST - Formatting

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat