cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

absolute worse device issues with Sprint

Highlighted
Journeyman

absolute worse device issues with Sprint

I have been a Sprint customer almost three years and I have been going through an ongoing nightmare the past 9 months.

In Janurary, I purchased an Epic Touch using my final early upgrade privilage under Sprints old Premier customer program. It worked fine for a couple months, but then I had this weird issue.

The menu button on my Epic Touch would press itself, and when this happened, all of the phones face buttons would lock, preventing me from using them for a set period of time (usually about 30 seconds) and that was after the button stopped pressing itself. After a while, the button would press itself multiple times in succession, preventing me from doing much of anything (especially text) while this happened. The only way to stop the button lock would be to put the phone to sleep or reboot the phone entirely.

When attempting to order my 1st replacement, Sprint kept telling me to do a hard reset. Now I habitually do hard resets at home when encountering issues, its easier and if theres a software issue that can be fixed, I can do it myself without involving Sprint.

However, a hard reset wasnt the problem. When I brought the phone in, the Store was adamant about performing a hard reset. They did so and told me my device was ok. I got annoyed and decided to take it at face value, although I knew full well they had did nothing to actually fiiix the issue.

Sure enough, 25 minutes later I had the same problem. Now I dont drive, so going back to the store that same day wasnt an option. I immediately called Sprint. They told me to go back to the store. Which wasnt rocket science. I then proceeded to call Samsung, and they advised me that my issue wasnt known and theyd need to have the phone shipped to them to ascertain the problem. Thats great, but I go without a phone for 3+ weeks. Not an option.

I eventually go back to Sprint, and demand a replacement. I get it, and im fine....for now.

8 weeks later I have the same issue. Sprint gives me the same 'hard reset will fix it spiel' and of course it doesnt. One sales associate tries to tell me the tech reset everything, when I asked what he reset, he looked surprised and told me to speak to the tech. The Tech tried to tell me he performed all these tests, most of which have nothing to do with my issue. I get angry and tell him that he is wasting my time and his own. He orders the replacement. I get it 3 days later. Leave the store, SAME ISSUE AS SOON AS I GET HOME.

Order another replacement. Thats 2 now. About 3 and a half weeks later I have the same problem. I order a THIRD replacement. I am then told Sprint has a multiple device replacement program. A little while later, I have the same problem with the 3rd replacement. Thats now the exact same issue with 4 of the same phone. I call in, get the run around with 3 different people about the multiple device replacement program. I demand to speak to supervisor after supervisor, only to be told different stories. Finally I am told by a gentleman that he will esclate the issue and a supervisor will call back within 48 hours. I wait the 48 hours but of course, no call. I go to the sprint store, speak to a tech supervisor. I am told if I want to switch devices, I can, but my only choices are the Photon and the Nexus S. Both crappy choices in comparison to the S2. The Tech Supervisor tells me someone at customer serivce or another department can authorize a different device, and he advises me to call in. So I go outside and call in. After a few transfers I get some lady in 'customer relations' she tells me the store actually has the final say so and not anyone I can call. So I place her on hold, grab the tech supervisor and put them on the phone. She proceeds to tell him that theres nothing she can do and to tell me the same. He tells her theres nothing he can do, and that he was told they could override it. She then requests to speak to me, then when I get on the phone, tells me nobody can do anything. But wait, didnt you just tell me 5 minutes ago the store could help me? When I put you on the phone with the store you change your tune? I was livid.

Angry, I order a 4th replacement. Did I mention that since I take the bus, I had to leave my job early to get to the sprint store on time to make sure I could get home? So in essence it was costing me about an hour and a half of pay EVERY TIME I WENT THERE. so 3 hours per replacement. (Cause its two trips) I got the replacement, and about 5 weeks later, same menu button issue. I called sprint shortly before I went to the store to order a 5th replacement. I communicated to a gentlemant in warranties department that I want a better phone than the Nexus S or the Photon. I even offer to pay a difference on the Galaxy Nexus or S3. The man told me that wasnt possible and that I should get the photon. I told him the Photon wasnt anywhere close to my phone. He then tries to tell me that the Photon is 'very comparable' to the S2. I ask him, 'you mean to tell me the Exynos chipset is even with whatever the heck they threw in the Photon? Do you even know what the Exynos chip is? Heck, do you even know what you are talking about?' The man hushed up. I finally order a 5th replacement. Sprint didnt even let me know it arrived, I called a week later and got it today. I asked about the replacement device choices, I now have the ability to switch to the EVO 3D(garbage), EVO Design(they still exist?), Motorola Photon (LMAO), and the EVO Shift (OMG, are they even trying?). Yeah none of those are ever happening.

So I take the phone home, and the darn thing wont even charge. Ive had it. Im tired of sprint. Im tired of being cheated out of a working device. Im tired of being given the run around. Im tired of the crappy service, terrible coverage, lackluster customer service and misguided 'Network Vision' which was about as visionary as Bush's stimulus plan. Im sick of it all. And Sprint doesnt care. They dont care that ive been a loyal customer, that I pay my hard earned money for the same terrible serivce and insensitve and asinine customer service.

So now I put in my notice. As soon as I get $ together I am leaving Spint forever, unless they fix my issue, give me a working device and/or a new different device that is actually comparable to the S2.....not whatever garbage phone they have lying around. That is all.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Journeyman

I'd really like to see this. 25 minutes did not give you enough time to go home and flash phone. Or did it?

Could the SD card be carrying something that is not so good? Virus maybe?

Do you live near a lot of high voltage power distribution units? (Transformers)

Are you one of those people who wear clothes that produce a lot of static electricity? Especially noticable when moving from cloth seat and touching something metal. Doorframe, car ect.

Just trying to think outside the box.

I have the Epic Touch and love it.

Have only had one severe issue... the ICS update. Which I reflashed to GB after 3 days of poor battery life.

I have to keep refusing the update everytime I reboot the phone though. That is very annoying. I want the option to reject the update permanently.

Bottom line is Sprint is number 1 in customer satisfaction. I am sure that they will take care of it.

BUT!!! don't deal with the little guys, ask for supervisors... then ask for their supervisor. (Level 3). That should help you get things moving along.

Don't act like an ass, but be matter-of-a-fact with them. Your good money will spend anywhere, and don't let them forget that.

Hope they fix you up.

I've been happy since 2008.

Tweak3d

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello, MATTHEWTPC, I'm sorry to see that you've had trouble with this. Samsung, and Sprint are aware of this problem. Samsung is investigating the matter. Resetting, or exchanging the phone may have no impact against this condition. If you are being offered alternate phone models, and you feel waiting for the fix in way of a software update may take too long, then I would select the Evo 3D. Thank you, Chris.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

@RC1024

The EVo 3D? You are joking right? That Piece of garbage is guarnteed to fall apart. Why do you think its on the list?

First of all, that is complete bull. Sprint and Samsung arent aware of anything cause Sprint cant fix my issue(I have given them 5 tries), and Samsung I keep in contact with regularly and they said it is not a known issue, and the only way for Samsung to figure it out (I DID state this) is to send my phone in, which I cannot afford to. Sprint isnt working to do anything but take my $78 a month and try to talk me into downgrading to a subpar piece of crap phone. (IE RC1024's response)

@Namenotneeded

I'd really like to see this. 25 minutes did not give you enough time to go home and flash phone. Or did it? - SOFTWARE FIXES DO NOT HAVE ANY EFFECT. I STATED THIS ALREADY.

Could the SD card be carrying something that is not so good? Virus maybe? - NO.

Do you live near a lot of high voltage power distribution units? (Transformers) - NO.

Are you one of those people who wear clothes that produce a lot of static electricity? Especially noticable when moving from cloth seat and touching something metal. Doorframe, car ect. - NO

Just trying to think outside the box. - Trust me, I am way ahead of you.

I have the Epic Touch and love it. - I wish I could.

Have only had one severe issue... the ICS update. Which I reflashed to GB after 3 days of poor battery life. - since I regularly have the phone replaced, I cannot afford to play around with flashing stuff the phone shouldnt have. I dont want to give Sprint any reason to not fix my problems, although I explored these options already and they do not help me at all. The menu button issue is only the recurring major problem...I also have had overheating issues, battery issues, problems with the radio in the phone etc...throughout my 6 Epic Touches Ive owned now.

I have to keep refusing the update everytime I reboot the phone though. That is very annoying. I want the option to reject the update permanently. - There are custom ROMs that eliminate this. However I have not tested them directly on my phone for warranty reasons. If My phone were reliable, sure, id root and flash whatever, but im in a Sprint store every 1-2 months now.

Bottom line is Sprint is number 1 in customer satisfaction. I am sure that they will take care of it. - Really? Last I checked its been 9 months now, same problems and they have done nothing but give me the run around and/or tell me they could do nothing.

BUT!!! don't deal with the little guys, ask for supervisors... then ask for their supervisor. (Level 3). That should help you get things moving along.

Don't act like an ***, but be matter-of-a-fact with them. Your good money will spend anywhere, and don't let them forget that. - did you actually read my post? I stated I have spoken to several supervisors dude. You arent helping.

Let me make this abundantly clear since between RC1024 and Namenotneeded it seemed to fly overhead. THIS IS NOT A SOFTWARE PROBLEM. Otherwise, switching the SD cards, a hard reset, etc would fix it, YET NOTHING HAS WORKED IN 9 MONTHS. It is a hardware problem. I not only confirmed this with various software tests and etc of my own, but I actually had the bezel replaced ( I forgot to state this) and that curbed the problem temporarily for about 2 weeks.

Bottomline is, Sprint has done NOTHING to help me either in the way of a viable replacement, a bill credit for the terrible customer service I have received, or assistance in a temporary pre paid phone so my phone can be sent to Samsung. Nothing. I get transferred 2-5 different times per call, always COLD TRANSFERED so I have to re-explain myself every time and nobody seems to be able to do anything besides give me empty, scripted apologies. Is Sprint really #1 in customer service cause they are that good? Or is it cause Verizon, ATT, and T-Mobile are THAT Bad? Having dealt with all the major carriers in some capacity I vote the Latter.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

So far customers with this problem have given me the impression that while in low signal conditions, and this effect is exasperated by using ICS, the phone will increase TX power, causing false trigger of the menu button. Truth be told this matter is still under investigation by Samsung. I should be able to provide more information down the road.

As for the Evo 3D, I would definitely suggest it. It’s sturdy, and reliable. At this point you will not likely see any improvement on your Epic Touch by way of Factory restore, or exchange. Samsung is still looking into the matter.

Highlighted
Journeyman

sturdy? I dont drop my phones. I dont care.

Reliable? Have you owned an HTC device? I can only rely on them to take a crap.

For the record, I ordered replacement # 6 yesterday.

By the end of the year I will be a Verizon customer. And no, I have no intentions of paying the ETO fee. That is all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yea, I know about the custom roms. I was just keeping my phone close to original. But that isn't the point here.

It just seems strange that "It worked fine for a couple months, but then I had this weird issue" , and all subsequent phones had the issue present immediately? Or did the problem develop after some usage?

I'm not trying to aggravate you at all.

" did you actually read my post?"... YES that is why I posted

" I stated I have spoken to several supervisors dude." ... just wanted to make sure that you did not give up after the first couple of rookies.

"You arent helping."... Thanks, I try. Look, sometimes random strangers can stumble across something that helps. That is all I was trying to do friend.

I was just saying that I have had better luck with speaking to the top tier supervisors versus the script junkies that you get when you first call. Some people get frustrated and give up after the first supervisor, So I was just saying to make sure you are talking to a real supervisor.

Since this is the same phone as I have and my phone is now a couple of months old(July), I am wondering if this will happen to me.

I will be following this thread, and noting irregularities with my phone as well.

Please post updates.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had the Photon for almost a year.  It's been a very solid, stable phone with zero issues.  It's radio is far superior to Samsung.  My connections don't drop, and the data rate is faster than my Samsung phones (I've had the Epic and Epic Touch, the wife has had the Nexus S).  I went to Photon because I was tired of the Loss of Signal issues with the Epic Touch.  The only problem with the Photon is that it will not get ICS, but GB works great on the phone.  The Tegra 2 is perfectly adequate as a processor.  Some people think the screen transitions are choppy, but all you have to do with that is load a different launcher (Go, for example), and that doesn't require rooting.

On another note, I will be leaving Sprint as soon as my contract is up.  Coverage, data speeds, and phones are inferior to Verizon, and now Verizon has reduced their prices to be more competitive.  Unlimited data doesn't mean much to me since the speeds are too slow to take advantage of it.  Most my wife and I have used combined is just over 4GB.  The 6GB plan on Verizon right now is the same price for me and the wife on the family shared plan, so we're jumping in March.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello MATTHEWTPC, I mention sturdy because the single word you used to describe the phone was not very specific in why you felt the Evo 3D wouldn't do the job for you. HTC phones are very reliable, and in my experience they are the best choice in PDAs starting with the PPC6600.

Highlighted
Patron

Join the club! Terrible Customer Service

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat