cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how difficult and how costly is it to replace the touch screen for the Epic Galaxy 2S 4g phone ? Phone was dropped and the screen now has cracks. phone is functional, just a nuissance...

Journeyman

how difficult and how costly is it to replace the touch screen for the Epic Galaxy 2S 4g phone ? Phone was dropped and the screen now has cracks. phone is functional, just a nuissance...

Looking for any assistance/information regarding cracked touch screen. Thank

s in advance.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: how difficult and how costly is it to replace the touch screen for the Epic Galaxy 2S 4g phone ? Phone was dropped and the screen now has cracks. phone is functional, just a nuissance...

churnobyl41, I apologize but none of our sprint stores will repair a cracked screen. You will have to either contact Samsung or file an insurance claim.

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: how difficult and how costly is it to replace the touch screen for the Epic Galaxy 2S 4g phone ? Phone was dropped and the screen now has cracks. phone is functional, just a nuissance...

If the screen is functional, then perhaps it is just the glass that is cracked. Lots of places online sell them. If you are handy you could probably do it yourself by just following a youtube video.

Journeyman

thanks for the information. Definetly just seems to be glass that is cracked as phone is fully operational. Will have to review you tube video to see if something I can handle.

Journeyman

It appears to be just the glass portion that has cracks in it. Phone is fully operational. Would sprint replace the glass ?

Journeyman

They won't replace it since that voids the warranty, which is where TEP kicks in.  However, some of the third party stores that do repairs may be able to do it for a small fee if they have parts.  I've seen one do the display on an Evo for like $100 since they had some spares.  Obviously, it has to be a repair location.

If you have had the phone less than 30 days and haven't added TEP (insurance) you still can.  Then you can make a claim.  My son just had an EVO 3d screen replaced for a similar reason.  You can cancel TEP at anytime after although for me I'm glad to have it. Repairs can be expensive and then there's the down time w/o a phone, Rick

Journeyman

Do research before you buy parts... 99% of the new samsung devices have Glass/Digitizer/LCD as ONE unit. People sell just one part (like the glass on ebay) but they are not meant to be removed piece by piece by piece. These parts are to scam people.

You can buy replacement parts that are NEW for the T-Mobile and AT&T version of this device but not the Sprint Epic 4G Touch. Your only option for the Sprint version is to hope that someone is selling a slightly used and functional part (~$120 used part). New parts, if they ever do become available for the Epic 4G Touch, are $200+. You can thank the awesome Samsung LCDs for the price tag

NOTE: The Sprint Epic 4G Touch glass is unique to that device. Neither the T-Mobile or AT&T version fit the device.

P.S. If you ever buy a samsung phone do yourself a favor and get insurance, it will always be cheaper. For other manufacturers it can be a toss up but for samsung, their parts are expensive.

As for the OP:

Difficulty: Medium to Hard depending on what comes with the new part.

Hard if all you get is the glass/digitizer/lcd

Medium if the Glass/Digitizer/LCD comes attached to the housing - then it is a fairly simple board swap. Just be sure to not rip any cables because finding replacement parts is near impossible.

Cost: $$$ ($120 for used part, $200 for new part [if you can find one]. Expect to pay around $250 - $300 for a repair shop to do it)

Journeyman

I was quoted $225 for this repair from an independant phone repair shop. They said it was all one piece, and that the part runs about $175.00 without labor. If you have had any issues with your phone reception (I sure did), then do yourself a favor and get another (not Samsung) phone. I switched to a Motorola Photon 4G, and it is very similar (but with much better reception).

Journeyman

Well my epic 4g touch fell out of my pocket and the screen cracked pretty bad. it  still worked but was dificult to use because of the large cracked screen. Unfortunately I did not get TEP (insurance) when I upgraded and I really regret it now. Sprint stated since the phone had no insurance there was nothing they could do. I checked some local repair shops here in NYC and they gave me quotes of $160 to $240. All because the glass and LCD digitizer are one unit. also complicating things is that my epic 4g touch is the white version and getting that digitizer is extremely difficult. I finally decided to send it back to Samsung who stated that the repair will be $160 unless there are other issues with the phone which will make the repair cost more. I hope that this is helpful to you.

Master

Here is video for the do it yourselfers out there  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f9pJTltvZ0

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat