cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is there anyone out there that's actually Happy with ICS on the Epic 4g?

Journeyman

is there anyone out there that's actually Happy with ICS on the Epic 4g?

My wife got the ICS update about 3 weeks ago, she's not been happy with the battery life, signal strength, or overall responsiveness of the phone.

I read about problem after problem with the 4.04 update, but I haven't seen any "I haven't had any problems" posts.  I now typically people that have problems are typically the ones that feel compelled to get on the internet and voice thier frustrations, but this just seems like a horrible upgrade to get from what I'm hearing.

I've had my phone for some time now, and have enjoyed it using GB, but I'm getting this nagging to do the update now.

Is there anyone who has had success with ICS and does NOT regret getting it?

Luke

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: is there anyone out there that's actually Happy with ICS on the Epic 4g?

I haven't had any problems, except Picasa won't sync anymore. So far, haven't noticed any changes. I like the upgrades.

Journeyman

I am very happy with the update, I havent seen any of these issues. The only thing I havent seen is the camera update but that really doesnt matter much. I have been using my phone non stop since the update this morning at 10 and I still have over 50 percent battery life.

Journeyman

For me I wasn't happy with the botched release the battery problems and all that crap that they aren't fixing.

when i first got the phone i could go a couple of days without charging it. with some pretty solid heavy use

got the "update" and my battery wouldn't last more than 6 hours more than a few times I would be using my phone to send a txt message notice that the battery would be at 70% look down at it when my friend would respond and the battery would have dropped to 32%

I got sick and tired of it I decided to say F it and decided to run CM9 am I happy now oh yeah... battery life still isn't what it used to be but at least i can go more than 6 hours without having to charge my phone

Just need for them to release CM10 and then I'll be even happier... However I do believe that this GSII will be my last "Non-Google" phone. I would like to get my updates in a timley fashion I don't think I can take any more of the fragmented releases.... either that or companies need to just drop all their bloatware and run the OS as inteded by google.

Journeyman

Alert! Doing the standard pwr-off-pull-the-battery-wait-3mins-then-pwr-up procedure remedied my Bluetooth problems which were that a few devices would pair and be remembered but a few others would pair then disappear after disconnecting. Doing the battery procedure fixed this with no data loss. This procedure might remedy other problems, too. Spread the word.

Journeyman

Just got the update this morning and I don't plan on updating anything.

Just too much of a hassle to go through with and I'm already comfy with GB.

Journeyman

I would like to say that I've had both updates. the first one on my original GS2, and the revised one on my replacement GS2. I have had issues with both. the first one destroyed my battery life, full - dead sitting unused in my bag with everything turned off for 3 hours. Now on my replacement phone (replaced for other issues previous to the update) its mostly asthetic issues such as not being able to crop a picture with a portrait frame for a wallpaper image. I have been experiencing some serious lag problems. the text notification sound will go off if you are in a call and you receive a text, the camera shutter sound cannot be turned off, also having some issues with my picture files messing up on me in the way that I can see the thumbnail but the actual file won't open. I'm really starting to HATE this phone

Journeyman

Battery life is noticably worse than it was before. I never really cared about this tough because the battery life is decent, just not as good as before. Plus I always have a charger on hand haha.

Some force closes in apps, but I don't beleive that is Samsung's fault. I think the app developers have not made them completely compatible with ICS yet.

Data speeds are much worse for me, but I'm not 100% sure if this is because of the update.

Journeyman

Honestly?  Loving it.  Performance is rock solid so long as i wipe the phone between updates.

It's the same case with Windows or Linux though so it's not isolated IMO.

Speed issues - at least in Chi-town - appear to be NV related.

Hopefully that's the case and they'll resolve when it rolls out... hopefully as planned in November.

If not then I will be looking at other carriers.

Journeyman

Happier since

I finally broke down and did a reset (tried taking battery out first without success) you will want to back up your data because it will erase it.

Settings

privacy

factory reset

Once I did that and it rebooted I received an "upgrade completed" and a message about roaming and if I wanted that type of error message which I answered NO, no more data roaming errors, my battery life has improved (not as good as it was before the upgrade but much better than the original upgrade) and even though the signal is not as good as it was before I can make calls without dropping from home again!

Also I changed a wifi setting to assist with battery life:

settings

wifi

menu (bottom left)

advanced

change "keep WiFi on during sleep" to "only when plugged in"

Many of the apps I had I have decided not to reinstall because so many of them (if you take the time to read the terms) say they can take pictures/video at anytime without your knowledge, email and/or call people in your contacts without your knowledge! No thank you! My smart phone is now just for calls and emails.

SPH-D710

1. S.D710.10S.FF18, Android 4.0.4

Samsung Galaxy S2 epic 4g touch

I can no longer click navigation and type destination I have to go to maps then select navigation from the drop down menu and then you can type or speak designation so there are extra steps. 

My touch screen is very sensitive so some may want to go to language and input and change the pointer speed mine is set in the middle

Highlighted
Journeyman

Now that I've worked out the kinks I think ICS is great.  And the unofficial JB ports I've seen are ever better

Journeyman

In my opinion, there wasn't any real groundbreaking changes with this update. There are a few nice features that have been added, but visually there is very little difference. Overalll I haven't experienced any of the issues I see others complain about. In fact I have had zero issues.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat