ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

quick question from a semi-noob

Journeyman

quick question from a semi-noob

if i go the route of the manual update from GB to ICS...once i put the update on the SD card, install, update from sd card, yada yada yada...once all is said and done, i can remove the sd card and use a different one, right? just making sure i remove the thing the phone needs...only have my 4 gig sd at the moment..if i can, ill use it to update, the switch to my 32 later...please and thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
Master

Re: quick question from a semi-noob

Hello.  Since "updating from the SD card" is actually loading a different ROM which is actually "rooting," Sprint cannot really offer any assistance with this question except to recommend that you check "other sites" for rooting assistance.  Remember, rooting your Android phone voids your warranty. 

Tom

Journeyman

No, if you update manually it is the exact same as the OTA your just doing it manually it does not root your phone, you would think a sprint rep would know that. After it is updated the phone no longer needs the update file on SD card.

Journeyman

Go to following link, qbkink does a great job of walking you through it.

Journeyman

Journeyman

Manually update to FF18 is NOT rooting. It's the exact same OTA update. It's just updating using the stock recovery with the official update.

And yes, after you update your phone you can remove the sd card or use another one if you like.

Journeyman

thanks guys...i appreciate it...i knew it wasnt rooting...just needed to be sure on the sd card bit...my only concern is people are saying their phone is overheating and battery life is degraded...personally i sometimes get at least a day to a day and a half...(9am to 12-1PM the next day) on a charge...my usuall is 12-20 hours to a charge depending on usage...but people are reporting 7 hours and heat...yikes...for major updates like this i factory reset the phone before and after the update, so lets hope that prevents it...thanks again!

Journeyman

To all struggling with or interested in the ICS update to the Samsung Epic 4G Galaxy S2:

Please consider reviewing the link below and adding your thoughts on the larger mobile computing/Android industry implications raised by the flawed ICS update.

Thank you.

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

Journeyman

Not for nothing, but I am finding that those that took the pushed OTA are having problems (or the most problems), seemingly those that are manually downloading are not having the same (or as many) issues, go figure!!  I've been reading through these forums and checking other websites since last Friday, and this just seems to be the trend that I am seeing/hearing/reading.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat