cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Android OS" battery drain on ICS

Highlighted
Journeyman

"Android OS" battery drain on ICS

I notice that after my update to ICS this morning, my battery has been draining faster than with GB. When I check the battery stats menu, I see "Android OS" is using 30% and I don't remember it using anywhere near that much before. Anyone else notice this or have a fix?

20 REPLIES 20
Journeyman

Re: "Android OS" battery drain on ICS

i'm experiencing the same thing. unplugged my phone from its charger at 8am...it's now 2pm, i've hardly used my phone today, and it's at 6% battery life. smh.

Journeyman

To all struggling with or interested in the ICS update to the Samsung Epic 4G Galaxy S2:

Please consider reviewing the link below and adding your thoughts on the larger mobile computing/Android industry implications raised by the flawed ICS update.

Thank you.

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

Journeyman

I have the exact issue after going to ICS

Battery life is about HALF of what gingerbread was. This is really frustrating as I now have to charge the phone to get through the day with light use!

Journeyman

I did a factory reset today, going to see if it helps

Journeyman

Any luck with the reset?  I am also experiencing high batery drain from "Android OS" and have been going back and forth about doing a reset.  I have also seen that the reset is somewhat hit or miss, but more hit.

Journeyman

There are countless threads on this topic. I have been communicating with Sprint Corp and you can see the discussions as I get them in my thread I started.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/450538#450538

Journeyman

The reset didn't seem to help so far. In the meantime I grabbed one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006SK5HHW/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00

I gues the only other option would be to try a community ROM but i'm lazy

Journeyman

Just a heads up to people having problems with the battery life.. With this new update you have to go into your setting and stop all apps that are running in the background that you do not use.. It will help your battery life a whole lot, as well as the little things like screen brightness and wifi off when not in use, things like that.. But i hope this helps some of you with this issue until there is a patch that might clean this up permently

Journeyman

DId that already

Journeyman

Me too.  The issue seems related to the actual ICS update and the FF18 kernel used.  There are a bunch of threads on XDA that discuss the many bugs that are part of the kernel.  With any luck, Sprint has pulled the update to fix these issues and will be releasing a fix soon.

For me, going from 18 hours of battery life on GB to about 6 (if i'm lucky) on ICS is not a welcome update.

Journeyman

I'm doing my own test right now to see how long my battery last, after getting the update last night.. I'm at 5hrs right now with about 43% battery life still left, this is after downloading some updates this morning also downloading a bunch of new apps, instagraming and fbing too.. So i guess i will see how much longer it will go until i have to plug it into the charger.. I do notice a difference with the life of the battery though.. I was never able to get 18hrs on my s2 but i average around 12-14hrs on a normal day. I'm sure they will have a fix to this issue as well.. Lets hope they dont leave us hanging with it..

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat