cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Android OS" battery drain on ICS

Journeyman

Re: "Android OS" battery drain on ICS

Me too.  The issue seems related to the actual ICS update and the FF18 kernel used.  There are a bunch of threads on XDA that discuss the many bugs that are part of the kernel.  With any luck, Sprint has pulled the update to fix these issues and will be releasing a fix soon.

For me, going from 18 hours of battery life on GB to about 6 (if i'm lucky) on ICS is not a welcome update.

Journeyman

I'm doing my own test right now to see how long my battery last, after getting the update last night.. I'm at 5hrs right now with about 43% battery life still left, this is after downloading some updates this morning also downloading a bunch of new apps, instagraming and fbing too.. So i guess i will see how much longer it will go until i have to plug it into the charger.. I do notice a difference with the life of the battery though.. I was never able to get 18hrs on my s2 but i average around 12-14hrs on a normal day. I'm sure they will have a fix to this issue as well.. Lets hope they dont leave us hanging with it..

Journeyman

[SOLVED] (for me anyways)

I also experienced a dramatic loss in battery life after the ICS update. After reading much online about others experiences and after doing some testing of my own I finally have my battery life back to normal... even better than before when I was on Gingerbread. However, it is somewhat of a pain to manage. I discovered 4 things affecting my battery life... WiFi, 4G Wimax, and 2 apps (Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker). I installed CPU Spy and BetterBatteryStats to moniter what was happening to my phone. In a nutshell WiFi and 4G Wimax keep the phone from going into deep sleep. So I disable WiFi and 4G and enable 3G when not using the phone. (Menu... Settings... toggle both WiFi & 4G off. Menu... Settings... More... Mobile Networks... check 3G Data) That would have been enough except for the 2 rogue apps I mention above. Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker seem to enable WiFi and 4G even when I manually disable these. So I uninstalled these apps. (There may be other apps that you are using that also disregard your manual settings and enable WiFi and 4G.) When not on WiFi nor 4G and only using 3G, the phone does go into deep sleep and stay there until I wake it. So you can see it is manageable, but a pain or at least slight inconvenience. With moderate usage, including turning on/off my WiFi and 4G throughout the day, I have 20+ hours of usable battery life. I hope this helps.

Journeyman

The extended battery is amazing. Adds a little size and weight but not too bad. It's 4100mAh....

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got this battery issue others are describing and have finally managed to eliminate it completely, without disabling wifi while sleeping, turning off syncing, doing a factory reset or any of the other proposed solutions I've seen (all of which I tried, and none of which worked).

What did work was wiping the system cache partition. To do this, I turned off the phone, did a battery pull, then started the phone back up while holding the power button and the "volume up" button at the same time until a little Android logo appeared on the screen, followed by a safe mode-type menu. I selected "Wipe cache partition" and the phone performed that action and rebooted itself. Since then, Android OS has gone back to its normal power consumption levels (around 15% instead of 50+%), and the phone has been entering "deep sleep" mode as normal (even with wifi on, wifi in sleep mode set to "always", all my normal sync settings put back to the way they were under GB, gps and 4g enabled, and so on). Several annoying bugs and odd behaviors (including lock screen not working properly, occasional stutters and hiccups, and other assorted glitches) also are gone. Most importantly, battery life is back to what it was before the update.

Hope this approach works for others as well; ICS is quite nice, as it turns out, when it's working normally.

Journeyman

The factory reset doesnt work.I think those that are reporting that it works are having a false perception of battery life. For a more accurate determination if the issue is truly resolved. Install the utility GSam Battery Monitor. Make sure it is running and use your phone for a day or 2. Then the next time you launch this app you will see in the lower right hand corner your average battery life. Those that have used this utility on GB/EL29 would normally get 20/hr + Now in ICS you will see that you are around 16 hours or less give or take . Proof is in the pudding put the speculations to rest!

And just as an FYI the only reason why I am even getting 15 hours as of right now is cause I have my phone heavily underclocked using the Tegrak utility found in the market. If I was running stock voltages I would probably be averaging 10 hours or less.

Journeyman

I'm no expert but as far as battery life goes I have a few theories about why so many people are having issues with premature battery drain.  This comes from research on the internet and from my personal experience with my phone.

1.  I think that doing the update ota vs. manual is an issue especially since here in Chicago we've had so many data issues due to NV. I did mine manually with the battery         charged to 100%

2.  FACTORY RESET I cant stress this enough. In my experience with computers in general new operating systems dont always play nice with old data (rember vista anybody?)

I backed up my apps (just the apps and not the app data) and a factory reset BEFORE I updated and after just to be on the safe side.  When it came time to restore my apps I did all of them from the play store with the exception of the few that I got from 3rd party sources.

3.Managed my app synching to levels I thought were appropriate to my needs yet remembering that that will cause additional battery drain.

4. When all was said and done I played with my phone for most of the day since it had a new OS on it and I wanted to test it out and I noticed battery life was a little shorter than before so I decided to try to calibrate the battery monitor.  I did this by letting the battery completely die and then charging the it with the phone OFF when it hit 100%.   I then removed the battery for approx. 5 minutes reinstalled and turned on the phone. Once booted up the charge was showing me 97& so I continued charging with the phone ON until it reached 100%.

5.  I turned off wifi when I'm not in range of my router

6.  I close all running apps with taskmanager before i let the phone go to sleep (this is just habbit as I have always done that)

7.  I have read that the sd card might be causing battery drain issues...not in my case though

I've been messing around with my phone for most of the day today more so than usual because its the weekend and i wanted to test the battery life.  So far my battery is at 79% at 7h 10m 5s on battery. not bad.

Unfortunately Sprint should have rolled out the update to a few test phones that were in use and let people play them for a week or so so that they could have had a proper procedure on updating this phone instead of having to backtrack now

hope this helps

Journeyman

Last night I did as careoshi suggested and I have to tell you the the Android OS battery usage dropped from 40+% down 14%.  You just gotta love it!   So thank you so very much careoshi 

I do not have much in the way of additional apps on the phone other than what came with it, so I didn't even have to fix my home page or logins like you mentioned in your other post.  But It didn't show the battery usage results like I expected last night.  So I charged it overnight and when I checked it this morning I was a happy camper.  The item most using the battery now is the Screen (in the 50% range) which of course is because I'm using the phone.  I know that the battery would have down to 60 or 70 % by the same time today (6pm) after starting with a full charge in this morning.  Right now it is at 86%.  And it seems to be responding faster.  Awesome!

Thank goodness I did not have some of the horrible issues like some others have had.  Maybe because I don't have that many apps installed on my phone, it's fairly bare bones compared to probably most users.  It's my first smart phone, so I'm still learning.  But I did have to fix Swype doing the clear data suggestion I found in another post.  I have also had some issues with Voice Talk not knowing what I'm saying or giving me some stupid message like "that action is unsupported" or please try again when I tell it who to call.  I had to re-pair my bluetooth and had some quirks with it but they seem to be working themselves out.  In the first days after the update I did reboot several times because it also seemed like I did not have good connections to 3G (we don't have 4G yet) data services.  I kept getting "could not connect" messages, especially with voice commands and voice to text (which I love and wouldn't be texting without it).

My husband and I got the same phone (Samsung Epic 4g Touch) last December and loved it from the get go.  Then I decided to do the update a few weeks ago after it bugged me a few times.  I was regretting it immediately and the first thing I did was tell my husband NOT to do the update if he was prompted.  I definitely did not want to do a factory reset.  Besides, most people were saying it didn't help anyway.

I hope more people see your post and save themselves a lot of agony.  What would be even better is if we could get Sprint to put something at the top of the community for more to see it until they push out another update that fixes this buggy update that is causing so many to be frustrated.

Journeyman

At this point, I am willing to try almost anything & will report back with my results!

careoshi wrote:

I got this battery issue others are describing and have finally managed to eliminate it completely, without disabling wifi while sleeping, turning off syncing, doing a factory reset or any of the other proposed solutions I've seen (all of which I tried, and none of which worked).

What did work was wiping the system cache partition. To do this, I turned off the phone, did a battery pull, then started the phone back up while holding the power button and the "volume up" button at the same time until a little Android logo appeared on the screen, followed by a safe mode-type menu. I selected "Wipe cache partition" and the phone performed that action and rebooted itself. Since then, Android OS has gone back to its normal power consumption levels (around 15% instead of 50+%), and the phone has been entering "deep sleep" mode as normal (even with wifi on, wifi in sleep mode set to "always", all my normal sync settings put back to the way they were under GB, gps and 4g enabled, and so on). Several annoying bugs and odd behaviors (including lock screen not working properly, occasional stutters and hiccups, and other assorted glitches) also are gone. Most importantly, battery life is back to what it was before the update.

Hope this approach works for others as well; ICS is quite nice, as it turns out, when it's working normally.

Journeyman

careoshi is right tried his/her fix yesterday and so far so good!

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.