cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

Journeyman

just got the new update this morning about 4 hours ago. so far ive hard reaset the phone 4 times, bluetooth wont pick any of my devices up now, i cant make outgoing calls and have the issue with the incomming calls prompting a force close. i dont know what to say at this point, im beyond words with how un satisfactory this all is -David

Journeyman

where can you find this. I have heard about it but have not found it on my phone. My phone has not done the EL30 update yet

Journeyman

My wife's phone got this update.  Most things are working right but she claims to have lost some customization.  The active wallpaper changed and she lost the one she really liked.  Does anyone know how to restore the "water" active wallpaper?  It is the one with floating leaves.  Is this available on the market (I can't find it).  Why would they remove a wallpaper?  Seems strange to me.  Thanks for any help.

Wizard

Updating my apps through the Market did not resolve the force close issue.  Nor clearing of the dialer data as suggested by another person.

Factory reset resolved the issue of not able to receive voice call (force close of com.android.com), and for me not able to listen to voice mail, also.  I am not happy that I had to do that because of course all my apps data are wiped along with everything. 

Prior to doing the factory reset, what I noticed is whenever a voice call comes and after selecting force close of the com.android.com app (volume button prior to the force close does not stop the ringing) the radio does a reset.  If I happen to have WiFi on, then after the radio resets, both WiFi and 3G icons remain in the notification bar.  If I togger the WiFi setting, then the 3G go away after WiFi is connected.

Highlighted
Wizard

badankles, make sure you have everything not saved to the sd card backed up, (contacts, calendar events, call logs & texts if needed) and give us a call at 800.927.2199 and let the agent know that you would like to perform a RTN. A RTN factory reset is the same reset Sprint and Asurion does to wipe devices and is more through then the Factory Reset option in the menu structure. The RTN process will ask you for a code that only a sprint rep can provide. This should fix your problem.

Afterwards you can reinstall your apps at market.android.com. Hope this helps. -T.

Journeyman

From installing the xda/odin fix for my gps issues on my 2-3 week old  refurb phone, (thankfully) I have not had a problem with this phone  (good news). I have received the notice about the update for the phone  and I have refused it. I don't want it. I have contacted my local sprint  store and service manager suggests that if I don't have a problem with  the phone (and I don't) do not upgrade to the EL30. I was informed that  if I don't agree to the update it won't install on it's own (as some  state in previous posts). I must say that I am having no problem with  phone after unofficial fix and don't plan on updating if its going to  mess with my good working phone. I am just waiting to see how good the  LTE will be next year and hope they still have the unlimited data then  before I renew contract.

Journeyman

I had installed the GPS Fix on my Epic as well as my wife's.  I tried to run the OTA update this morning on my phone, but it failed with the status 7 error.  Does anyone know how to restore the old GPS files, to allow the update to pass patch verification?

Keep in mind that we are not rooted; we merely (temporarily) installed clockworkmod to install the GPS_Fix.zip.  (I would root -- but I need to use an application for work (Good for Enterprise) which is designed to detect root access and abort if it does find it, for security reasons)

It looks like adelmundo over at xda-developers has provided a Remove_GPS_Fix.zip file, which can be installed via clockworkmod, in order to put the old gpsd file back -- so that EL30 can be installed:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=21782574&postcount=86

Journeyman

I got the message to update this morning on my way to work (around 7:30 a.m.). Figuring that my phone could only get better (I bought my Epic 4G in July 2011 and have had 5 replacement phones, including a Motorola Photon since Nov. 2011. I'm still struggling with the GPS malfunctions), I allowed it to update. It rebooted and began updating my others apps. While at a traffic light, I instructed my GoogleMaps to guide me to work. It locked on and gave me directions almost immediately. 0.0!!! << Yeah, I was surprised too. Also surprising was that it maintained GPS lock and navigation all the way to work.

It's 5:38 p.m. and I just got home. Google Maps failed within 5 minutes of me turning on my GPS and giving it instructions. At first, it locked on (while I was stationary and inside my office) and gave me voice directions. Then, 5 minutes later it said, "Searching for GPS Signal" and failed to resume. I tried a GPS Tracker app. There are functioning GPS in my area, more than three. I then used MapQuest (my second favorite when searching for addresses on my computer) app to guide myself home and test the GPS/Navigation feature. Excellent so far. MapQuest didn't fail. GoogleMaps never picked back up. Why is that?

One other thing I noticed and tried after reading every else's complaints: Voice Calls. When my friend calls me, she says my phone rings FOREVER (as if I've hit "Ignore") but I only notice 1 ring. Something to keep an eye on....

*NOTE: My refurbished Epic 4G phone has never been rooted. It was installed with EI22 prior to this morning, when it updated to EL30. I will continue to monitor this though...I may switch to the EVO 3D if this update fails too (Sprint's customer care suggested and authorized).

Journeyman

Watch it. It WILL eventually update. When I had Froyo on the first refurb they issued to me, I denied the Nov. 2011 update. Within the week, it overrode my explicit NO and updated itself. << RAPE.

Good luck.

Journeyman

I hope this doesn't happen with me. My cell phone IS my home phone. >_< Sprint's been disappointing me ever since I got off the family plan and struck out on my own....

Journeyman

Yeah, I should have checked the forum before taking the update.  I took it because it seemed so aggressive in poping up when I said wait. Luckily I did delay whhen I was in the middle of something critical.  Now, unfortunatly, my phone is a great computer, but useless as a phone.  Nothing incoming, and no messages. People complain about not hearing a ringing tone on the line, just a static burst.  Bad, bad stuff.

Any feedback on the next release? I've disabled any app killers, but the phone is still non-operational.

Journeyman

I grabbed my phone this morning at 7:00 and saw the update. I allowed it to install. Seems to be working so far. I am able to get calls in. It looks like the incomming call GUI has changed. Maybe something with that change is causing the issue? Hopefully there will be no issues with my phone... yeah right.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat