Wizard

1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

Enhancements/Fixes

- Security update

- Speaker feedback fix

- The QIK and Asphalt 5 applications are no longer preloaded.  When opening

the applications using the application icon, you will be redirected to the

Android market to download and install the full application. 

* After the QIK install, you will need to login using your original

account information or create a new account.  All contacts should remain intact

* After the Asphalt 5 install, previous game play data (eg. levels) will not be retained.

Important Notes

- Software version is: S:D700.0.5S.EL30

- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within

approximately 10 days

- Refer to the Samsung Epic Software Update blog for install instructions  

1/26 update:

If a force close error is displayed when you receive an incoming call, ensure the "reject call with message"

set up includes no more than 5 messages.  To access these settings, go to

Menu > Settings > Call settings > Reject with  message, choose the menu key and select 'delete', check

the box next to each message to be deleted and select 'delete' again.

Message was edited by: dshoem01

118 REPLIES 118
Highlighted
Journeyman

Is there a facebook page out there or someone to call and complain to some kind of agency or regulation. These has to be a crime breach of contract.  Maybe then it will be a known issue. They should know what the problem is they track everyone's phone anyway.

Highlighted
Journeyman

OH SNAP! Nakia, thats her name, ask for her. she fixed my phone! took getting to the 4th person but Nakia figured out within 10min that my problem was the google voice app, she disabled GV and now my phone sends and recieves calls! Sweet, can't wait for google/samsung to patch this so I could use GV again, until then its back to Sprint voicemail. I will misss my wife's voicemails being translated into incoherent text messages...

THANKS NAKIA!!!

Problem Solved

Highlighted

kw1456 wrote:

Is there a facebook page out there or someone to call and complain to some kind of agency or regulation. These has to be a crime breach of contract.  Maybe then it will be a known issue. They should know what the problem is they track everyone's phone anyway.

The removal of the Carrier IQ tracking software was one of the changes with this update.

Sprint IS aware of the issue but hasn't been able to duplicate it. And until they can, they can't fix it.

You and everyone else on Sprint agreed to this when you signed your contract with Sprint:

You Agree That We Are Not Responsible For Certain Problems

You agree that neither we nor our subsidiaries, affiliates, parent companies, vendors, suppliers, or licensors are responsible for any damages resulting from: (a) anything done or not done by someone else; (b) providing or failing to provide Services, including, but not limited to, deficiencies or problems with a Device or network coverage (for example, dropped, blocked, interrupted Services, etc.); (c) traffic or other accidents, or any health-related claims relating to our Services; (d) Data Content or information accessed while using our Services; (e) an interruption or failure in accessing or attempting to access emergency services from a Device, including through 911, Enhanced 911 or otherwise; (f) interrupted, failed, or inaccurate location information services; (g) information or communication that is blocked by a spam filter; (h) damage to your Device or any computer or equipment connected to your Device, or damage to or loss of any information stored on your Device, computer, equipment, or Sprint storage space from your use of the Services or from viruses, worms, or downloads of malicious content, materials, data, text, images, video, or audio; or things beyond our control, including acts of God (for example, weather-related phenomena, fire, earthquake, hurricane, etc.), riot, strike, war, terrorism, or government orders or acts. You should implement appropriate safeguards to secure your Device, computer, or equipment and to back-up your information stored on each.

You Agree Our Liability Is Limited - No Consequential Damages

TO THE EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW, OUR LIABILITY FOR MONETARY DAMAGES FOR ANY CLAIMS THAT YOU MAY HAVE AGAINST US IS LIMITED TO NO MORE THAN THE PROPORTIONATE AMOUNT OF THE SERVICE CHARGES ATTRIBUTABLE TO THE AFFECTED PERIOD. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE WE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE, MULTIPLE, OR SPECIAL DAMAGES OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO PROVIDING OR FAILING TO PROVIDE SERVICES IN CONNECTION WITH A DEVICE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOST PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS, OR COST OF REPLACEMENT PRODUCTS AND SERVICES.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It looks like adelmundo over at xda-developers has provided a Remove_GPS_Fix.zip file, which can be installed via clockworkmod, in order to put the old gpsd file back -- so that EL30 can be installed:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=21782574&postcount=86

Unfortunately that file (Remove_GPS_Fix.zip) did not work for me.  Here's one that did:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-epic-4g/151308-gingerbread-el30-official-el30-gingerbread-sa...

Here are my initial impressions of EL30:

• When I reverted back to the EI22 gpsd, I would lock to 4 or 5 satellites. With EL30, I got 5 (though it did lock pretty quickly). For comparison sake: I got 10 or 11 satellites when I had applied GPS_Fix on EI22, in that same spot in front of my house earlier tonight.  So I don't see much improvement.  I'll monitor it as time goes on, hoping for no freezes/restarts.  I may just re-apply GPS_Fix at some point.
  • Consider me lucky, I have not had any issues with incoming calls.
  • The new Phone icon and incoming call screen are just meaningless candy.
  • I see that EL30 STILL doesn't include the ability to video chat in Google Talk, as was supposed to be available in Android 2.3.4 and above.  Grrrrr....
Highlighted
Journeyman

My phone updated to EL30 earlier this week.  Anybody else notice that wallpaper images no longer scroll?  If yes, has anybody found a setting or a procedure to reenable this?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024 wrote:

which com.android process is force closing, do you have any task killers, security software, or alternate launcher/dialers installed?

Sorry about the delay in responding, but it is indeed com.process.phone which is force closing upon receiving incoming calls.

I just saw your update to the original post, and I did in fact have more than 5 message options available.  Deleted one, and my incoming calls are now working!

I also started having issues (after EL30) with text messages that were sent to me being delayed in delivery, significantly at times.

And my voicemail app has also been acting strange, with messages sometimes being received but not playing, and sometimes messages that are left for me are also delayed in their delivery (and then sometimes don't play).

This update has been a fiasco.

As others have pointed out, I have now been unable to receive calls for several days (causing great strife), so will Sprint be offering a discount to those affected? For services not rendered?

Highlighted
Journeyman

there has been a lot of complaining about carrier IQ. now that it is off the phone it is taking a lot longer to fix issues due to the fact the tech team has no idea where to start. if they can not duplicate the issue for themselves then the issue can not be fixed. carrier IQ was designed to allow the techs to see what exact state the device was in when the error occoured and what was running. hence issues could be fixed almost instantly. a lot of people complained therefore carrier IQ was done away with and now they are complaining that its taking too long to fix issues. I personally have had the EL30 update since jan 24th and have not had a single issue with the device. SO SINCE I AND OTHERS HAVE NOT HAD ISSUES WITH THE UPDATE, IT WOULD LEAD ME TO BELIEVE THAT IT IS SETTINGS ISSUES ON THE OTHER DEVICES. BUT OF COURSE WITH OUT CARRIER IQ ON THE DEVICES THE TECHS WILL HAVE TO PLAY UNTIL THEY FIND OUT THE SETTINGS THAT ARE CAUSING THE ISSUES. THEREFORE STOP COMPLAINING AND WAIT PERIOD. I BET THE ONES THAT ARE HAVING THE MOST ISSUES ON THIS DEVICE ARE THE ONES THAT COMPLAINED ABOUT CARRIER IQ

Highlighted
Wizard

@lpd866, really.  You chose this time and thread to make this your first post?  Glad you had no issue with your update but you added nothing to this thread with your condescending and assumptions, and obnoxious caps.

For those that resolved the incoming call issue by pairing down your Reject with Message list, I recommend rebooting your device also.  Hopefully that will reset the system and radio to resolve related issues with voice mails and SMS text messages.

Too bad this solution didn't come earlier, but a factory reset probably did my phone good anyway.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Manage applications, >go to market place> uninstall market update. Someone on FB suggested it and it worked. I first did the suggestion limited auto reply to less than 5 and that didn't work. The marketplace uninstall updated did though. Just not sure what that means for marketplace...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just updated and immediately checked the issues that were posted here.  Everything is working fine with my device.  Hope everyone can figure out their issue it's very fustrating i went through it for the last few updates.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Oddly enough, when I deleted some of my "Reject with Message" messages and rebooted my phone, the incoming calls were able to be answered and I was able to listen to vmails.  I haven't experienced any other issues thus far, nor have used my GPS yet.  Hopefully this little fix is permanent because and my phone won't revert back to dummy mode.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I do believe it is gone...atleast it is on my phone along with the ablilty of my wallpaper to scroll.  Nice fix...

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat