Wizard

1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

Enhancements/Fixes

- Security update

- Speaker feedback fix

- The QIK and Asphalt 5 applications are no longer preloaded.  When opening

the applications using the application icon, you will be redirected to the

Android market to download and install the full application. 

* After the QIK install, you will need to login using your original

account information or create a new account.  All contacts should remain intact

* After the Asphalt 5 install, previous game play data (eg. levels) will not be retained.

Important Notes

- Software version is: SSmiley Very Happy700.0.5S.EL30

- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within

approximately 10 days

- Refer to the Samsung Epic Software Update blog for install instructions  

1/26 update:

If a force close error is displayed when you receive an incoming call, ensure the "reject call with message"

set up includes no more than 5 messages.  To access these settings, go to

Menu > Settings > Call settings > Reject with  message, choose the menu key and select 'delete', check

the box next to each message to be deleted and select 'delete' again.

Message was edited by: dshoem01

118 REPLIES
Journeyman

Does this also fix the GPS issue?

Journeyman

Re: 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

yeah, the GPS issue, the freezing issue, and all the other darn issues.

I want a new phone

AND I want my $10 a month extra data charge back.

Journeyman

I'm glad this is finally happening. My phone's been whistling dixie for a while now. When I take it into the techs at Sprint, the phone doesn't make a peep and they look at me like i'm insane. This is ridiculous. 

where do i get the update? i check on my phone but it says its up to date already, and its not.

Journeyman

If you read the whole post it says "Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within approximately 10 days"

Journeyman

Will I get the OTA notice if my Epic is WiFi only (activated another phone I's trying) or will I have to activate it or wait for someone to provide the update.zip file?  Thanks

Journeyman

After having the EL30 update installed my phone is behaving very strangely... Mainly, I can't answer incoming calls!  Each time a call comes in my phone rings but an error message immediately pops up saying some application "com.android...?" is being forced to close.  What the heck?!

Journeyman

I still have asphalt 5 and QIK installed on my device after update. seems the only difference I notice is the UI changes due to the Apple lawsuit... e.g. my icon for phone dialer now has a tile texture to the background as to not immitate the iPhone "look". It's not like I need the 8kb in space that asphalt takes up or QIK to be unninstalled (use it to talk to grandma). The requests for uninstalls originally included NASCAR, Facebook  and Medi Hub but I guess Sprint/Samsung get too much money from those companies to break any agreements... or these were not part of the lawsuit settlements. Qik closely immitates facetime so it is another "similairity" to iphone that must be changed. Asphalt5 is obsolete, they released a new edition last summer, so removing it is the only thing that is being done to appease the people that own this device. People please do research on the surrounding legal incidents across last year. The changes were announounced by HTC/SAMSUNG/others after the court cases were finished. I GET NO ERRORS WITH THIS UPDATE but it seems like nothing happened except a few icons changing.

edit: Thank you for removing CarrierIQ. I just noticed it is not installed.

Sprint Employee

which com.android process is force closing, do you have any task killers, security software, or alternate launcher/dialers installed?

Sprint Employee

you may have noticed that the update to EL30 will remove Asphalt, and QiK, replacing them with a shortcut to download them. 8KB would likely be to store the icon and shortcut info, My phone reports over 18 MB for Asphalt.

Journeyman

I have followed the fix from the posting under gingerbead gps problems and followed the xda/odin update and I hope that if ever this update comes to my phone that I will not mess with that gps update. I took a trip with my 2 week old refurb phone and for the 3-4 hour trip from cleveland, ohio to detroit, michigan didn't have any major problems. Only once it glitched for about 5 seconds and regained the gps signal. I will be seriously upset if it messes with my fix from xda.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.