cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11/9 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)- EI22

Journeyman

I really think that this Sprint Zone notification or advertisement of the Gingerbread update should have remained available until we clear it ourselves, because the same thing happened to me last night on my drive home, I saw the notification, opened it and read enough to know it was regarding the gingerbread update so I got excited, I put the phone down until I could get home to read it, but then it was gone, so I never got to read it.  I assumed it was the update too and got angry when I couldn't get the message back to read it.  Just my two cents.

Journeyman

You can go to all applications on your phone, then click on Sprint Zone application. When you are in Sprint Zone application,Press Menu next to the Home key and then press "Notifications" you will be able to see the notifications. You can also go into setup and select or unselect any Sprint Zone features including notification frequency. I hope this helps.

Journeyman

Thanks Punjabi!  I had no idea about this Sprint Zone application and associated  "frequency of notification" feature.  Even though I've had the Epic for over a year, I'm still learning, thanks to helpful contributors like yourself.  Cheers!

-Allen in Chicago

Journeyman

I used the method from AndroidCentral.. and it worked... It took about 10 minutes and WOW... what a difference in operations... The phone seems to work alot faster and smoother. Now will have to wait and see on battery life after a full charge. From just the few minutes that Gingerbread has been installed on my Epic.. I am impressed, will have to wait and see in a few days.

Highlighted
Patron

Worst update ever, clearly not ready for prime time.  Hung my phone, I had to do the camera button-volume down-power salute to gvet it out of a rebooting loop, where all it would do was display the two boot logos again and again. Lost all my apps, all my config. Really poor job. 

Don't you people test the update process? Or is it ok if it works for most people? If it were a beta, i'd accept this quality, but I'm not in a beta program.  I lost my phone for more than a day to this update, and it will be another day reconfiguring.

Nick-33440 wrote:

Worst update ever, clearly not ready for prime time.  Hung my phone, I had to do the camera button-volume down-power salute to gvet it out of a rebooting loop, where all it would do was display the two boot logos again and again. Lost all my apps, all my config. Really poor job. 

Don't you people test the update process? Or is it ok if it works for most people? If it were a beta, i'd accept this quality, but I'm not in a beta program.  I lost my phone for more than a day to this update, and it will be another day reconfiguring.

Unfortunately it isn't possible to test updates with every possible phone configuration. There could be an installed app causing issues where the phone gets stuck in the reboot loop. This is why wiping/resetting the phone fixes the problem.

They've been testing and working on this update for months and trust me, this update is FAR better than any of the leaked versions I played with.

Journeyman

thank you Pujabi, that did help, at least I can read the instructions.  I've had the phone for over a year and am still learning. 

Journeyman

Woohoo! Just applied the update manually and it worked perfectly--no glitches, everything working, nothing lost. Decided not to wait for OTA update as I'm hoping this will fix the Bluetooth issues that really irritated me.

Journeyman

Maybe they should have said It's Amost Time to Update.  If they can send out a message to all users telling them we are going to be updated, why not just go ahead and update and tell us we were updated?  They are idiots and you are defending idots.

Journeyman

I'm sorry for this post but I'm sick of this CRAP.

WOW most of you guys are a bunch of WHINING IDIOTS that are unable to READ simple English.

1) It states in PLAIN VIEW on the notification in the Sprint Zone - "Over the next two weeks, it will automatically be downloaded to your device."

2) They are doing the roll out slowly in order to monitor for any major issues and lessen the impact on the servers thus increasing the download speed for the update

3) The people that are getting the constant reboot issue - if you READ ALL THESE POSTS before you manually UPDATE your phone you will KNOW to make sure you have more than 50% of your internal storage available for the update.

4) When this update is done properly and people actually read the DARN thing works flawless and is a HUGE improvement over the previous version!!!

5) Grow up you WHINERS and COMPLAINERS stop wanting everything when you want it and show some patience. IF NOT THEN LEARN HOW TO READ EVERY POST AND IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW TO ***PROPERLY*** DO THE MANUAL UPDATE

Done ranting!

srh2174 wrote:

Maybe they should have said It's Amost Time to Update.  If they can send out a message to all users telling them we are going to be updated, why not just go ahead and update and tell us we were updated?  They are idiots and you are defending idots.

I know...how dare they think people would actually read the message and see the part that says their phone would be updated sometime in the next 2 weeks....

Sprint can't "just go ahead and update". The user has to tell the update to install when prompted...and most people probably want to know what the update does. So they send out a message just like many companies do before an update is sent out.

Journeyman

Thanks'' I just did the update!!  I am new at this blog and maybe you can help me with my epic 4G ,,, I've been getting an error message when i try to use the video or play a video...

("Media app failed")

I've done it all reset to factory, chaNGE sd cards , 4G, 8G, 16G and even and old 2G ,,,, nothing. I cant find anything on Google on this matter and sprint techies?? saw the malfunction and even after that , Techies said "nothing wrong with the phone sprint wants to give me a refurbish!!! No way ,,,,, I am convinced it is a firm ware issue or software .. if you can help me with this thanks. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat