ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11/9 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)- EI22

Mr_Hornbuckle wrote:

I updated to gingerbread on my Epic and now I no longer have an option to forward text messages. What happenned? Does anyone else see this and have any idea if it's going to be fixed? It makes no sense at all that I cant forward text messages anymore.

Forwarding messages works the same way it did in Froyo...touch and hold the message you want to forward and a menu pops up with several options...one of which is to forward.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 11/9 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)- EI22

My GPS remained wonky until I applied a fix I found on XDA-developers. Someone created a patch that replaces the Epic's GPS daemon with the one used in the Fascinate

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1321049&highlight=GPS+fix

GPS works as well as it did under EC05 now, but the compass is still hosed.

Journeyman

I contacted Care to ask if they knew about the GPS/compass issues under EI22 and if they had a fix in the works, and they also offered to roll me back to EC05. I wonder if a lot of people are asking for this. If you use your phone's GPS/compass functions a lot, say if you're into hiking, orienteering, geocaching, etc., the phone isn't really usable once you apply the EI22 update.

Journeyman

This is just so unbelievably lame, like so much of the rest of Sprint's customer service.  About the only thing I can't complain about is their network, ironically.

I understand that Sprint is beholden to Samsung to fix the phones (i.e., this Gingerbread / GPS problem is ALL THEIR FAULT), but it's their job to kick Samsung's a** and tell us when they're sending a fix!!

I'd roll back to EC05, but Gingerbread actually DID fix Bluetooth -- so I'm stuck between which one I use more.  Um, that would be both, usually at the same time.  That's what I bought this phone for.

Okay, does anyone have a magic phone number / email / forum (other than this one, which I'm sure is largely ignored) to prod Sprint?  What about Samsung?  Posting on their FB page doesn't seem very effective.

And to get totally OT, where do I complain about Sprint's INSANE web security policies?  To ask for three pieces of customer information to retrieve a password sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?  My Schwab account doesn't -- and I've got a lot more $$ riding on that account than Sprint.  For the moment, anyway...

Journeyman

Does anybody have a stock Sprint Epic 4G running a bug free Gingerbread without Rooting yet?  About a week ago, the trained monkeys at the Sprint Service Center reflashed me to Froyo instead of reflashing Gingerbread as I requested (as some folks on the Sprint Community Forum suggested).  Maybe they were doing me a favor.  They did not have the ability to reflash Gingerbread back then and haven't called yet.  I don't think that is a good sign.  In all fairness, the front desk customer service reps are polite (thankless job) but the hacks in the service shop aren't that bright.  Their suggestion was that I make sure the GPS option is turned on my phone.  It's bad enough that they are not knowledgeable about the current Gingerbread issues.  How they can treat customers like idiots is beyond comprehension.  Now I have to constantly cancel the OTA update on my Froyo Sprint Epic 4G.  I can’t believe Sprint would allow the Update to continue with the litany of bugs I’m seeing on all the Sprint Epic4G boards (GPS, LED Indicator, Lost Texts, reboots, freezing, Netflix, etc.). 

The only bug that seems to affect everyone is the GPS problem. All the other issues don't seem to be as widespread and certainly don't happen to everyone.

The GPS issue will not be fixed officially until Samsung releases an update that does so.

Journeyman

I have a "stock" Sprint Epic4G that is running better as each day passes with Gingerbread.  I turn it off cold every night and restart it in the morning.  The battery life seems to be improving and the GPS freezes have stopped.  The Google Maps location pointer still doesn't show direction (N-S-E-W) accurately, but it never did.  Since I only use Internet/Phone/Texting, I'm not the best candidate to judge if Gingerbread is working across every aspect of the device, but it's doing fine for me and my limited scope of useage.  You might even say that it was a non-update in my case, because for life of me, I see no advantages to Gingread over Froyo.  The improvements I'd like to see will probably be in the next phone, because EPIC has likely hit the end of the line with updates.

-Allen in Chicagoland

Journeyman

A hard reset doesn't fix the Wi-Fi and GPS issues. Is Sprint or Samsung working on a simple fix or do we all have to root our phones?

Wizard

nastypup,

I have reported this issue to our device group, I'm keeping an eye on this so I can communicate any updates.

Journeyman

I have been to get GPS to work by removing the battery and restarting my phone!

It's a pain, but when GPS starts searching, I remove the battery, power back up.

And GPS starts working for a while.

Journeyman

I agree. I took my Epic back to Sprint two weeks ago for a hard reset. Then the employee updated the PRL & Firmware, which (in my opinion) re-installed the bogus update. The next day, Google Maps & Telenav got me lost. My GPS is STILL not working. I've about had it with Sprint and I've had this phone for less than 5 months.

Journeyman

That's utterly useless, not to mention unsafe, when driving 70 - 80 mph.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat