Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release - EB13 (Android 2.2)

Wizard

2/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release - EB13 (Android 2.2)

2/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release - S:D700.0.5S.EB13

The upgrade to Android 2.2 (EB13) was suspended on 2/24 due to issues  experienced by a small number of customers.  The upgrade is no longer  available over-the-air or from Samsung’s website.  Additional  information will be posted on the community when it becomes  available.   

Many have upgraded and are experiencing no problems.   For those who are experiencing problems, you may want to read through  some of the discussion threads.

Message was edited by: AlleyFasch

Enhancements/Fixes:
- Upgrade of the Google OS from Éclair to Froyo (2.2.1)
- Ability to install applications to external storage
- Improved Bluetooth device support
- Bluetooth Voice Dialing
- Flash Player 10.1
- GPS Enhancements
- Improved OS performance
- Email PIN based authentication
- User friendly tethering for 3G and 4G

Important Notes:
- The new software version is: S:D700.0.5S.EB13
- Access the Samsung Epic Maintenance Release Blog for install instructions

- Released in stages beginning at 9PM on 2/21, with 100% of devices (on DI18) having received the update

within 4 days

- Update: EB13 is also available via an OTW download on Samsung's site.  The OTW update will wipe your device, so

perform a backup prior to updating.  I assume this can be used to take your device from an older release to EB13

(please comment on this post if you can validate this).  You can access the download here:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/SPH-D700ZKASPR

Time Zone Reference:

US/Pacific         09:00:00 9PM 21-Feb-2011

US/Central        11:00:00 11PM   

US/Eastern       12:00:00 Midnight

US/Mountain     10:00:00 10PM

[fixed link to blog]

[added time zones]

[added Samsung OTW]

UPDATE 1: SD Card Index

If you are experiencing issues with the Camera, Media Player, Gallery, or SD card, refresh your SD Card Index following the steps below and power cycle your device to ensure the refresh takes effect:

Menu->Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->Select All->Scroll down to Media Storage->Select Clear Data

Update 2: Calendar sync

(solution from Dennis Staub...thanks!)

MENU>SETTINGS>APPLICATIONS>MANAGE APPLICATIONS

Select "All" in the grouping at the top and then select "Calendar" then under "Storage" select "Clear data".

Then go back to the App list and select "Calendar Storage" and do the same. Then open your Calendar then

MENU>SETTINGS>CALENDAR  SYNC>Manage Accounts(Select your account) then un-check it, then  re-check it then go back to the calendar and check to see if the  appointments have sync'd for you.

Message was edited by: dshoem01

364 REPLIES 364
Journeyman

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/faqs/faqs_view_us.jsp?SITE_ID=22&PG_ID=2&PROD_SUB_ID=557&PROD_ID=559&AT_ID=351569

try that link its direct from samsung and i had flashed my phone to Truly Epic Rom DK28 and hey mine had no problem going to 2.2 Froyo EB13 so give it a try instead of waiting for Over The Air update.

Journeyman

Anybody notice that after the update from the files on Samsung's site that alot of the paid apps in the market are no longer available?

Journeyman

dude theres always a way to go to dI18 go to xda  they will get you straight

Journeyman

It is February 22. Where is my promised update?

Journeyman

It's coming.  I got mine on the East Coast, Washington, DC area around 3:20 am today.  It was smooth and quick installation OTA.

Wizard

Simple -- the reason I think you can update it yourself is because the downloads provided by Samsung say in the PC instructions that the PC upgrade tool will work on all previous versions of Eclair.  I suspect that there is additional work involved in pushing an OTA update, and that's why Sprint started with the version of Eclair that the majority of users are currently running.  If you can't or don't want to try the manual update, you'll just have to wait for Sprint to provide an OTA for your version.

On another topic, how slow is the daily rollout?  I know they're taking 4 days to update everyone, but it's been over 7 hours since the rollout started.  If I don't have a message yet and my phone says I'm up-to-date already, does that mean I'm not getting the update today?  Will everyone who's in the queue each day be put there at one time?  I'm wondering if it's worth checking again later today, or just wait until tomorrow.  Thanks.

Journeyman

SUPERPAT wrote:

Anybody notice that after the update from the files on Samsung's site that alot of the paid apps in the market are no longer available?

There are a few threads to that effect on various forums. Apparently, you need to bug Google to update the market whitelist:

http://www.google.com/support/androidmarket/bin/request.py?contact_type=paid_am_apps

Journeyman

Got mine just a few minutes ago, and it took about 5 minutes—must have auto downloaded in the background sometime overnight. I got the alert at 7:36 am CST, and it was done and fully rebooted itself at 7:41am. I'm in the Chicago suburbs, and have been with Sprint for 9 years, if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Journeyman

I saw mine at the top of the home screen when the alarm went off at 4:45am...I went to shut it off and it disappeared...not to be seen again. Would anyone know if it will get sent back? A little jealous that I screwed up 2.2...anyone?

Journeyman

I couldn't wait so I installed it manually. The manual install seemed to have wiped everything, but since I use Appbrain I got all my apps installed pretty quickly.

I've been playing around alot and I'm enjoying it. My phone's pretty snappy, very good job Sprint and Samsung, although I'd have like it sooner.

I installed Playon and now I'm watching Hulu and Netflix. Yay! All those kiddy sites that require flash work. Great for them to watch Qubo.

There are a few things that I haven't figured out.

1. How do I activate Bluetooth dialing? Do I need a special Bluetooth headset?

2. Is wifi tethering not available? I don't see it in my settings.

3. I had talking Caller ID before, how do I get it back?

4. How do I root? Is one click available?

Wizard

Try forcing a check -- from http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/android_phones/epic/b...

Check for updates

1.  Go to the Home screen

2.  Tap Menu > Settings > About phone > System updates >Update Android

3. Your phone will automatically download and install any available updates.  You may need to power your phone off and back on to complete the software update.

Journeyman

I tried update and it says I'm up to date...I'll go into Sprint and make them do it..

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat