cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release - EB13 (Android 2.2)

Journeyman

Beats me I couldn't tell ya.  All I know is I havent had a single issue with the upgrade yet.  Now I'm not saying that in the near future I wont have issues, I'm saying that as of now I have had no issues.  And If I do, oh well I'll wait for a fix, or I'll downgrade back to the stock 2.1.  Doesn't bother me. 

Journeyman

I too have had very few problems with this update...

The only annoyance I have had is the grid background thing when I try to multitouch zoom in and out of webpages.

I had the calander sync issue as well and the instructions given fixed that...

Besides that, my phone has been running fine.  Faster than ever.

Lastly... those blaming Google for this... I think you're a bit off base.

Google has already put out 2.2.1 and gone even further to 2.3 and now 3.0... Samsung has its Touchwiz overlay and Sprint has all of their BS software on the phone... that is what takes so long to bring out an update.  Phones running Vanilla Android don't take this long.  I'm sure they are the ones that SHOULD be taking responsibility for these issues... not Google.  I'm sure Google had some people trying to help Sprint and Samsung get their shit together, but don't blame them for all the over-bloated software that goes on to phones from other manufacturers...

Have you seen these problems with the Nexus class phones... no... b/c Google handles those completely on their own.

Sprint or Samsung needs to own up and fix the issues people are having.

BS
Journeyman

I tried to download two days ago and the download function hung the device for at least 3 hours with the yellow download triangle display and the warning about not cutting power during the download. There was no response to anything, no progress feedback, no swipe functionality, no Home.... no nothing. I stopped watching it on my desk and did something else. Somewhere along the way the battery went from fully charged to fully down. After restarting the phone, there was no evidence that anything got downloaded.

I am a little wary of this download. The Samsung site wanted the model number which is found under the battery and then gave me a choice of 4 different model types do not match anything on my phone. It seems that Samsung is throwing us a confusing curve. Apparently there are four different versions of the Samsung Galaxy Epic S but they don't tell us which one we have.

Journeyman

This is my experience, FWIW:

I downloaded the update.zip from the Samsung site straight to my phone.  But I noticed that it went to the 'download' folder, and not the 'root'... so, not knowing how to move the file within my phone's interface directly, I then mounted the phone so I could use my XP laptop to move the file to the root directory. Cut & Paste style.

Then I turned of the phone. Then, because of something I had read somewhere here(?), I removed the battery and the SD card completely, then re-installed them, and then turned the phone on with the three-button "salute". (Volume-down, power, camera). Then I noticed the menu came up and I panicked for a second because I didn't know what buttons to use to navigate the menu and/or select an option! Eventually I realized the volume buttons would scroll through the options, and I finally found a site that said to press the "Home" soft button to make a choice. From there the phone updated rather quickly from the update.zip file and I had not problems at all for at least a day or two.

Now, the one problem that I did have the other day since then is this: I was taking some pictures with the camera, and changed my mind and went to delete one of them... it somehow got stuck saying "deleting..." and stayed that way for a long time... I tried several times to kill the camera and/or gallery and go back in, but I could not delete that picture, it would get stuck again.  So eventually I went in again throught the USB mounted file system version (through my XP laptop) and manually deleted the picture that way. Since then I have not had any other problems with the camera or gallery (yet).

The only other thing that I want to bring up is that the change to the camera where it ALWAYS does GEOTAGGING with NO option to disable it is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.  There is no reason to force this stupid geotagging as non-optional!  This does not look like a "bug", but rather a BAD DECISION of a "feature". I know there are workarounds to remove that metadata from the pics (like the 'GeoEraser' app) but that is a huge hassle, and I can't believe someone thought COMPULSORY GEOTAGGING was a good idea!

Unlike a mistake, which can happen to anyone, it just makes me FURIOUS that someone was so thoughtless as to no longer provide the option to TURN OFF this !@#$% GEOTAGGING. Seriously who thought it was a good idea to have EVERY picture be tagged like that!

ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!

Journeyman

You may be right about Google's responsibility for this debacle. Unfortunately, Andoid is Google's product. They have licensed Android to Samsung and Samsung is breaking the code. Samsung has besmirched Android's good name. Google ought to be taking a hand in protecting their product. Samsung has clearly demonstrated to everyone that they are way over their head using Android. Google should be taking a proactive stand to protect that good name by working with Samsung to resolve the update fiasco. In that sense, I hold Google very responsible.

By the same token, I also hold Sprint responsible, only more so. They have lied to everyone for almost a year about this update. They dug their own hole without anyone else's help. Obviously, they have not been in Samsung's face and forced the issue. Sprint may have good prices compared to other carriers, but if the products they sell do not work, it becomes Sprint's problem. Sprint chose to sell particular products. They chose to be in the cell phone business. Now they need to fess up and act like they deserve our business and loyality. For sure, they have not demonstrated any loyalty or honor to us.

If my company licensed my software to a third-party integrator and they screwed up their end product such that my good name was under fire, I would be be in their face to either quickly resolve the issue or give up the license. Large numbers of third party integrators have disappeared into the sunset for just this type of incompetence.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you for bringing up the Geotagging on the camera. I did not catch that change. As Google is such a data miner of information I am not suprised that the option was removed. Lets hope they get it right and provide an update that puts the option back on the camera

Wizard

gunkldunk and dennissn:  I noticed that the camera was geotagging photos by default a day or two ago, and played around a bit to try to figure out why.  I can't find a setting in the app to turn it off (I thought the Eclair version had one though), but I think I found a way to work around it.  It looks to me like if you turn off both "Use wireless networks" and "Use GPS satellites" in the Location and security section of the settings menu, the camera won't geotag photos anymore.  Apparently if either one is on, the phone has a way to determine your location and the camera is using it.  Turning them both off seems to stop the camera from geotagging photos.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or, as stated above, a bad decision on a feature.  If Google or whoever wants to opt-in us to geotagging photos, fine, but give us a way to turn it off.  Not all of us want location information saved with our pictures (I don't).  There should definitely be a setting somewhere that we users can toggle to turn this off.  I hope this gets fixed, too.

Journeyman

Any ideas when the update might be fixed and start being pushed to our phones again?

Journeyman

Re: 2/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release - EB13 (Android 2.2)

Hi guys just wanted to thank you for posting the download link from the samsung website. I just updated my phone about a minute ago and everything seems to be running smooth not sure what all the fuss is about. They added a update tool as well (follow the link posted on the samsung website about installing the software) hell as a matter of fact ... http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/faqs/faqs_view_us.jsp?SITE_ID=22&PG_ID=2&PROD_SUB_ID=557&PRO...

just download the program for whatever OS your running and follow the instructions. The program will practically update your phone for you just follow the prompts. Be sure to back up yhour phone as it will wipe your apps as I somewhat forgot about this... but i just got my phone a month ago so whatever. I'll edit my post after testing the new feres.

update.

I've tested my phone out and so far only issue I can see is a bit of a distorted effect while resizing on certain webpages but everything else is running smooth. Web browser seems very speedy now and I really like how you can move through the home page screens now by just resizing. Again all my market apps were wiped but can easily get them back once you log back in to your gmail account. Again thanks for the update and please keep us informed of any android releases coming in the near future.

Journeyman

EPIC FAIL!!!! The update fried my phone!  Personnel at the store were like 'Sucks to be you' and the rep via chat said 'you can file a claim'.  AND IN THE MEANTIME????? Sprint Sucks!

Journeyman

lol Riiiiiggghhhttttt...

Journeyman

wow...i'm very concerned it will fry mine now just like yours...and I haven't even updated it...but i bet it will be fried any minute now because of this update.

Seriously, you sound like a troll....

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat