cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release - EB13 (Android 2.2)

Journeyman

Hi Tony, because of your post up above I took the plunge about 30 hours ago. Shaking I did just as the website said because I was so scared of messing up my phone. My phone was never rooted.

First of all I didn't back up. I just did as it said and EVERYTHING is working great. I had a little bit of a problem with my calender that syncs from outlook to google to my phone. But after many hours of trying everything that I read about on all the boards I determined that google somewhere had wiped part of my calender probably before I even started upgrading my phone. Since I have 2 way sync I noticed it started removing my appts on my outlook too, whoops! I quickly changed my settings to one way sync for now. I read in the newspaper that google had some trouble over the weekend, related??

Anyway, the whole download took less than 5-6 minutes. Searching for answers to problems that didn't apparently exist 4-5 hours, lol.

My phone works great and I had a good time driving around with my now functioning GPS that seems to know exactly where I am. I would program in a location that was exactly the opposite direction of where I was going. I then proceeded to drive and the GPS kept saying turn left on this street, then as I merrily went on my way it would say recalculating.....cheap thrills I guess.

Anyway, I couldn't be happier. Played with the camera/ video's/ messenger/ gallery...etc. I can't find anything not working. Kind of weird to have my phone go upright from any of the four positions--kinda makes me dizzy when I realize it is upside down and I need to turn it over to use the keyboard.

One of the best things to me as a former palm pre user is that I was used to when I flicked a card off the desktop it was gone and closed. It annnoyed the heck out of me to close a program and then have to hit the active application button and open it up and hit end all, and then click on the home screen before I sucked all my battery out. I noticed some 50%? of the time when I back out of an application or hit home it is no longer staying open, YIPPEE!!!! 

PS: Thanks to Robbie too for all of his help on this board, he was another reason I decided to take the plunge!!!!

Journeyman

@JPPRICE123.  My phone was not sluggish in rotation, but seemed sluggish overall and battery life sucked.  However, I did a hard reset, clearly all caches (did a backup, of course).  Allowed the battery to completely drain down to about 6% and recharged the phone turned off.  Amazingly, battery life is far superior than 2.1 and the phone is snappier than ever.  I would recommend you try this before wiping and going back to 2.1.

To everyone else:   Samsung has taken down the OTW update.  It is no longer there, as of a few minutes ago when I checked.

Journeyman

I just spoke with Sprint Customer Service (Technical Support) about issues I've been having with my Epic since the rollout of 2.2. She immediately placed me on hold, checked with her supervisor, then told me they are simply replacing the phone by sending me another (probably refurbished) Epic. I'm assuming one that hasn't been updated to 2.2.

Journeyman

Pardon my noobness, but when you say do a hard reset, how exaclty do I do this..

Journeyman

@JPPRICE123.  No problem.  Make sure you BACK UP YOUR APPS/DATA FIRST.  You can hard reset one of two ways: 

1. Power off the phone completely.  Then press and hold the Volume Button and the Camera button simultaneusly. While still holding these two buttons, press and hold the power button.  It will boot up to Android System Recovery.  Release the keys, then using the volume button, scroll down to "wipe data/factory rest" and hit the Home Key. It should wipe the phone and reboot.

-OR-

2. Go to Settings->Privacy->Factory Reset

Hope that helps.

Journeyman

What's the deal with this update?

Months and months of delays while the update is "rigorously tested." It finally comes out OTA, but that doesn't go right. I then learn from the forums and confirm from Samsung that their OTW update was pulled offline, since people were reporting problems to Samsung.

I just don't get it. There's a Galaxy S 4G running 2.2 over at T-Mobile -- what's the difference between that phone and the Epic? They look the same. The Galaxy S2 has an OS that at the moment is two versions newer that the OS on the Epic. Why is it so hard to get this right? If I had wanted a phone with the 2.1 OS, I could have stayed with the hero.

I am really bothered by the fact that both Sprint and Samsung both state they have no information about when the update is going to be released again. I just find it hard to believe that nobody knows what's going on. Is this update going to come out before the end of the quarter, or is it going to go into EIGHT MONTHS without an update?

Journeyman

I see as well that this link ;     http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/faqs/faqs_view_us.jsp?SITE_ID=22&PG_ID=2&PROD_SUB_ID=557&PRO...

to download the EB13tool.exe file is no longer available as well. Im sure there is a way for those that saved it to our hardrives that it can be uploaded somewhere to be shared by others, free file share site or something similar, thats if anyone who like myself still has it that they if want to upload the exe file somewhere to help any others willing to go that route, it appears to include myself that most that go with that upgrade have had good results with it.. Just a thought to help.

another minor report as others have stated the 2.2.1 i installed seems to not have the spell helper when texting. no big deal for me tho. Interesting why sammy decided to pull it from there website, prob to debug, god knows how long that will take lol.

Journeyman

Interesting reading:   http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=965906&page=1

very good specific detail input from dev's at xda. A couple of the reports on that thread have occured with my update to my phone and wifes. As i stated before nothing that is any real concern for us so far.. I will go more into testing the things that have been mentioned on that forum and see if it rings true for my and my wifes phone. So far were happy so far with how ours are functioning.

tony

Journeyman

i don't blame either company more its freaking android and i'm tired of not being treated like a valued customer with these updates that are major upgrades sooo I'm saying bye bye to droid and hello to windows phone  7 at least I know they will update their phones always and they better quality apps

Journeyman

I have the update matter fact or you find it on xda developers too but we shouldn't have to do that shouldn't we clawing and crying about a update they really need to get it together

Journeyman

re: the update "patch" from Sprint... anyone know if this has been leaked somewhere?  It's very time consuming to go to a Sprint store for me (bit of a drive, long wait times, etc)  thx!

-Matt

Journeyman

Since my phone was updated, I've run into a number of items:

Installed applications not showing up in the application list.  If I go through the app list, they're not there, but I go into the app store/my apps, I see them, can uninstall and re-install them, but they never show up in the app list.  Two specifically I've been fighting with are Google Street View and Panaramio.

My streaming WKSU application has stopped streaming. It just spins.  I've also got a shoutcast streaming app which does the same thing.

When I shut down the phone, I have to pull the battery to be able to power it back on.

When exiting from an application, it may take from 5-20 seconds for the desktop to refresh.  There seems to be exteremly high memory usage even when the only resident apps are the built in e-mail/phone stuff and google latitude.  Nothing else runs resident.

On the good side, though, my batter usage has dropped to about 50% of what it was before.  On an average day, just sitting in the dungeon of my work place (basement where my office is) my batter would be dead by 4PM.  Now it's only down about 25%.  Far superior power management for the wi-fi/radio than before.

Cheers!!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat