cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.3.6 update broke tower search

Highlighted
Journeyman

What a miserable train ride to work today. Same route I always take, only this is after I applied the 2.3.6 update.

Now it seems that whenever the device falls out of range of a tower, it often just gives up and doesn't search for a new one. I have a fully dead connection -- a circle with a line through it. I have to put the phone in flight mode and then take it back out to get it to search for a tower again.

Experienced this twice on my Caltrain ride up to San Francisco. First drop off was around San Bruno --> South SF, and the second drop off was around San Francisco proper. Both times I had to fix it by going in and out of flight mode.

This is a serious problem. I'm going to bring it up to support as well, but I'm wondering if commuters experience this problem.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Wizard

I'm sorry you're experiencing issues with the update, currently we are tracking reports of a few issues related to the update and investigating, I haven't seen any other issues like the one your reporting but I would suggest starting off with the basics of pulling the battery with the device still on and updating your profile by selecting menu > settings > about phone > system updates > update PRL. It's possible if none of these items work we may have to perform a hard reset on your phone after backing up the information which unfortunately needs to be done some times after software changes.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This started happening to me since the 2.3.5 Gingerbread update.  I'll get the circle with the line through it.  It doesn't happen for me during a commute though, it happens while I'm at home. I never used to get a completely dead connection in my home prior to the Gingerbread update.  And like yours I can't make and receive phone calls, or send and receive texts. Anything that requires data during that time will be completely non-functional.  It's like I have less phone reception/coverage since Gingerbread.  That problem, along with the phone randomly shutting off and the non-working GPS are my biggest issues with the Gingerbread downgrade.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 2.3.6 update broke tower search

So I didn't have time for all that, however on the train ride back home, I experienced no tower problems. So I'm satisfied for now. Plus I don't mind playing guinea pig for you guys. 😉 This bug seems like it'd be nasty to try and trace.

In a couple days I'll be heading to a region I haven't been to since the update. Should be interesting to see if this tower problem happens again. I'll post with some info then. (and I'll keep you posted if it happens again)

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat