cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

CMCOSTA wrote:

So RHIBBARD50 how did that go, did you get the update? I still get errors (Unknown Error) when trying to update firmware/prl/profile, and if I click update android it tells me that "Your system is currently up to date." I'm on EB13 which was factory installed on the phone I got last Thursday. If anyone has succesfully been able to update I was wondering where you are located; I'm curious as to how this is spreading (west to east?)

As a side note, have they been locking this forum? It wouldnt let me post or reply to anything about 20 minutes ago.

The update is random and has nothing to do with location.

Checking for an update on your phone won't do anything until the Google server has your phone in the update queue and at that time you will be notified that the update is available.

Wizard

I don't think you'll see an update.zip file released from Sprint.  I've heard several reasons, including that all updates from Google are OTA only and that OTA is preferred because OTW wipes the device.  I don't know what the real answer is. 

I'm hearing that the OTA push may be rolled out more slowly than previous releases, so hang in there and let us know when you've received it. 

Journeyman

It is better to do OTW. Wipe device get a clean install when upgrading any computing device. On these forums From what I've seen most of the people who went OTW with EB13 had little or no problems as compared to the people who went with an OTA upgrade. Also the people who went with OTA and had problems were told that the fix was to do a factory re-set, Loosing everything anyway. I also like the convenience of OTW, Download now, Wait till I have time to do my backups and such. Not have my phone updated in  mid day at work or something and then praying it will still work for the rest of the day.

Journeyman

so nobody anywhere from any forum anywhere on the internet in any store that i have called which is close to 50 and all in different states no one at all has recieved this ota update. so wtf sprint needs to stop playing with us and tell us what is going on so we dont all just stare at our phones like a bunch of idiots.

Highlighted
Journeyman

DANWEB66 wrote:

so nobody anywhere from any forum anywhere on the internet in any store that i have called which is close to 50 and all in different states no one at all has recieved this ota update. so wtf sprint needs to stop playing with us and tell us what is going on so we dont all just stare at our phones like a bunch of idiots.

I can't agree more. There hasn't been a single person anywhere to receive it. They starting it at 11:59:59 tonight?

Wizard

I haven't done as much checking as you, DANWEB66, but I agree -- from what I've seen on the web, no one has received an EC05 Froyo update OTA yet.  I'm surprised, too, because it's 2 days after the rollout is supposed to have started.  Why hasn't someone posted that they've received it?  It seems like it could be going slower than before, in which case I'd like an update on the estimated final date by which everyone should have the update.  It's starting to look like it won't be this week.

And the update.zip file doesn't wipe the device.  I did it in February, and I didn't lose anything as far as I could tell.  Perhaps another method does (e.g., the Windows executable), but flashing update.zip didn't.  I wish the update.zip file would be made available, especially if the rollout is going slower and taking longer than expected.

Journeyman

Re: 3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

ZeroLT1 wrote:

DANWEB66 wrote:

I can't agree more. There hasn't been a single person anywhere to receive it. They starting it at 11:59:59 tonight?

I have only heard 2 reports of OTA updates, 1 was from a really old ver of 2.1 to a newer ver of 2.1 and the other said they got updated but did not specify what the update was. Well in a couple hours we will be in day 3 of 4 will have to see what happens.

***Well 2nd person just confirmed they did not get the update yet

Message was edited by: RSPC

Journeyman

So I'm guessing this went horribly wrong...

Journeyman

It looks like this was another "Epic" fail.

I got a notice this morning that a system update was available (about 9:15 AM EST) so I clicked the "Yes, install it and restart my phone". It restarted into recovery mode and plugged along installing the update (or so it appeared), finished, restarted again, and then I received a pop-up message that the update failed. I verified this in the settings, that I still have DI-18.

I did a Master Reset through the ##786# and MSL code a Sprint Tech gave me, and then the update prompt showed up again around 7:15pm EST. I hit "restart and install" and the exact same thing happened again. Trying to manually update the PRL, profile, or firmware all get the same "Unknown Error" as well.

In total, I've spoken with 3 different Sprint Tech Support representatives. The first one helped me do the Master Reset, the second one didn't even know what a "froyo was" and might as well have drank paint for breakfast (I literally had to direct her to Sprint's public announcement of pushing EC05 to the Epic), and the third call transfered me to Advanced Technical Support, who didn't have a clue either.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is what we like to call a "fubarred quagmire".

foogama wrote:

It looks like this was another "Epic" fail.

I got a notice this morning that a system update was available (about 9:15 AM EST) so I clicked the "Yes, install it and restart my phone". It restarted into recovery mode and plugged along installing the update (or so it appeared), finished, restarted again, and then I received a pop-up message that the update failed. I verified this in the settings, that I still have DI-18.

I did a Master Reset through the ##786# and MSL code a Sprint Tech gave me, and then the update prompt showed up again around 7:15pm EST. I hit "restart and install" and the exact same thing happened again. Trying to manually update the PRL, profile, or firmware all get the same "Unknown Error" as well.

In total, I've spoken with 3 different Sprint Tech Support representatives. The first one helped me do the Master Reset, the second one didn't even know what a "froyo was" and might as well have drank paint for breakfast (I literally had to direct her to Sprint's public announcement of pushing EC05 to the Epic), and the third call transfered me to Advanced Technical Support, who didn't have a clue either.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is what we like to call a "fubarred quagmire".

Have you rooted your phone? Installed any roms? Removed any of the apps that came pre-installed on the phone? If you have, the update will fail.

Journeyman

@JKNUTSON74- those of us with rooted devices cannot evn GET the update. at all. it wont fail, it just wont come. hence our insistance for an OTW update. i could be running rooted android 1.1 and it would say "system up to date".

LECLAIRM123 wrote:

@JKNUTSON74- those of us with rooted devices cannot evn GET the update. at all. it wont fail, it just wont come. hence our insistance for an OTW update. i could be running rooted android 1.1 and it would say "system up to date".

If you have installed roms, that is true. But if you are just rooted you will still be notified of the update and it should actually install. Now if you've removed stock apps, you will be notified of the update, it will download and appear to install but fail because it is looking for files that have been removed. I was/am rooted and got the notification for EB13 just fine...but I was running stock and put back the apps I had removed before I proceeded with the update. I agree a OTW update would be nice, but it's not Sprint / Samsung's fault you can't get notified of the update...

All this is actually pretty funny coming from the Moment. With the Moment the only way to upgrade to 2.1 from 1.5 was OTW with the Samsung updater exe....and everyone on forums all over were complaining about having to download it...that it should be a OTA update...that there should be no reason it had to be a OTW upate. And now on the Epic everyone is complaining that it's not a OTW update. Proof that no matter what happens, you will never make everyone happy,

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat