Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Highlighted
Wizard

3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Upgrade of the Google OS from Éclair to Froyo (2.2.1)

- Ability to install applications to external storage

- Improved Bluetooth device support

- Bluetooth Voice Dialing

- Flash Player 10.1

- Improved OS performance

- many others...

- GPS Enhancements

- Email PIN based authentication

- User friendly tethering for 3G and 4G

- Sprint ID

Important Notes:

- Software version is: S:D700.0.5S.EC05

- Devices with software versions DI18 and EB13 will receive the update first.  See the

Samsung Epic Maintenance Release Blog  or this thread for information on updating from older

software versions. 

- Download and install time is approximately 10 minutes

- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within 4 days.  Devices

on releases other than DI18 or EB13 may take longer to receive the update. 

- Refer to the Samsung Epic Maintenance Release blog for install instructions

- Refer to this thread for more Epic specific information on Sprint ID 

UPDATE 3/28: The EB13 to EC05 rollout is hitting devices now!

Added info regarding older software releases: dshoem01

Timing for EB13:  dshoem01

Message was edited by: dshoem01

1,142 REPLIES 1,142
Highlighted
Journeyman

For those of us obsessively checking the update status, is this considered a Firmware update or an Android update.  I know it upgrades Android, but which option will show the OTA when we have it?

Highlighted
Wizard

Well, where I am, it's about 9.5 hours until the 25th.  Half the day over, and still no notification of an update.  But I'll try to hang in there and hope it comes soon.  I've still got to finish reinstalling apps and stuff after resetting my phone.  If there's no update by tomorrow morning when I wake up though, I'm going to be upset.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well it's already the middle of the day pretty much and I haven't received it yet, so I think my anxiety is warranted in thinking that I may be getting overlooked again. I don't say that with any attitude toward you dshoem01, I appreciate you being the only Sprint employee who has provided us with at least some communication thus far.

Highlighted
Wizard

Sorry about any bad experiences you have had.  The EB13 update was pulled due to issues. Your decision to wait for the update before replacing your phone sounds reasonable to me.  If you have issues after the update, there are plenty of folks here on the forums that have very helpful advice.   

Highlighted
Journeyman

@DSHOEM01,

Is this an update that you can get with your wifi on? or do you have to be in 3G?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Got my EC05 upgrade at 1:30 EDT and installed in 10 min. With no issues after.  Very smooth.  Was on DI18 never rooted. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you, Dronak01. I think I'll try that one.

Highlighted
Journeyman

MARSH511, I've wondered the very same thing myself, is it a Firmware Update or Android Update? And if I hit tthe Update Firmware option erase things in my phone like text messages and call log?

Whomever said Sprint is thinking of pulling the update, makes me wonder if I should go to the Sprint store during my lunch instead of waiting until after work because I don't want to be shut out from the update yet again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

SanService is the actual name, it is under the heading of System Updates. It's been a little over an hour and it's half downloaded. Could be the 3G, could be they are throttling traffic, or that there are a whole lot of updates happening.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am looking forward to the update as well. I purchased the Epic the day it came out. As a matter of fact, I actually went to the Sprint store with the intention of buying the Evo. I have been very happy with the Epic and would not trade it for any phone on the market today. I'm sure the update will eventually get to my phone one way or another, but I'm not going to worry about it. I will post an update as soon as I get the update. Good luck to everyone!

Highlighted
Wizard

Thanks CMONTG3.  We're all 'just numbers' on the google servers.  If for some reason we get overlooked, we'll find another way to update...you and I both:).  The Service & Repair centers will be able to update your device and there are files on this forum (not official Sprint, but provided by other users) that could always be used if necessary. 

Highlighted
Wizard

Either

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat