cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Journeyman

i feel ya there. I heard a rumor that some guys on XDA hypothesized that it'll start rolling out tomorrow (i dont know what their reasons are, as i havent read it myself). so we'll see...

Wizard

Right now, that seems like a reasonable guess, despite the statements that it already started going out as early as Thursday or Friday.  Considering that Saturday and Sunday are generally not considered normal business days, there's some logic to thinking that they'll pick up again on Monday.  If that's the case, then Sprint/Samsung really should have told us that.  As you said though, I guess we'll see.  Hopefully tomorrow, some more Sprint reps will be around on the board and can provide us with some new information.

As for how good the update is, it seems difficult to get a perfect, 100% bug-free release.  Chances are, there will always be something that causes issues for someone.  EC05 is supposed to fix the issues seen in EB13 that caused its release to be stopped early.  I think that's a big reason most of us on EB13 want the update.

Journeyman

yeah... but that's yet another mystery: What the frik was wrong w/ EB13 that caused it to be pulled? honestly, i've been using it since it came out and havent had any issues except ultra-glare with the camera flash and some mild "buginess" for the first minute or so after booting up (some app icons not showing up until a minute or so after turning on, etc). I remember a few rather smart moderators on SDX hypothesized that most of the issues were user error. Think about it: some idiots withrooted, ROMd phones tried to update it (stupidly) without first changing back to stock, bricked their phones, complained to Sprint, and ended up recalling the whole update. or else some idiots using the update tool unplugged their phones in the middle of the process because "it was taking too long" or something. It's not a foregone conclusion, but it's definitely possible.

Journeyman

I know I had no issues with EB13, I believe the icon thing was for aps on the sd card and they wouldn't show up until the card was read.  My only reason for even wanting the upgrade is to be up to date if by some miracle they take us up to the next level in the future.

Journeyman

yeah, except i've never used the "apps2sd" feature, so all my apps are on my phone. so idk...

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's 8:15pm Pacific Time. I'm stil stuck with EB13 that has crippled my phone. Did we get left behind? Is there any communication from Sprint? No, Sprint sucks as usual. Can someone say, "Class action lawsuit?" I'm tired of waiting for Sprint to fix my phone after they broke it with EB13.

Journeyman

oh boy, let's PLEASE not go down this road... ignoring my often tried-and-true belief that class-action lawsuits rarely work, i really dont see much basis of a class action lawsuit here... they didnt falsely advertise anything to you before you bought the phone, so their untrue words about when EC05 would hit ur phone didnt lose you any money (as you already bought the phone, i'm going to assume, before EC05 was announced). Also, if you got EB13 via the OTW update package AFTER it was announced that it would be removed due to issues (idk if you did), you DEFINITELY dont have a case cuz u were warned that this update causes issues. Plus, there's Samsung's official Odin package with the possibility to downgrade to DI18 and immediately back to EC05 if desired which, while not as clean or lazy friendly (lol), definitely works.

Journeyman

SIMCHALAND1 wrote:

It's 8:15pm Pacific Time. I'm stil stuck with EB13 that has crippled my phone. Did we get left behind? Is there any communication from Sprint? No, Sprint sucks as usual. Can someone say, "Class action lawsuit?" I'm tired of waiting for Sprint to fix my phone after they broke it with EB13.

What do you mean EB13 crippled your phone? Has it stopeed working altogether?

Wizard

Well,day 7 and still no one with EB13 has received the push.  I have some inquiries out to our internal teams but haven't heard anything over the weekend.  I expect to have some answers for everyone tomorrow when folks are back in the office. 

Journeyman

thank you very much. :-)

Journeyman

Good luck with your investigation. The situation is clear to me: Sprint can't support this phone. Big mistake on my part. Unless Sprint replaces my Epic with something they don't need to support -- say, a Nexus -- I'm gone.

Wizard

I hear you Dronak01!  Feel the same about it myself.  And will be bugging people like crazy in the morning to get some answers as to what's going on.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat