cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Journeyman

Look, when I bought this phone at the full price I had the reasonable expectation that the phone would work perfectly as is. It did on Eclair. As a paying customer, I have the right to expect that when Sprint pushes an OTA update that it won't break my phone. This is quite reasonable since I paid for this phone and the service. Sprint didn't give me a development phone for free so that I would have to agre to test their bug-ridden software. I'm a paying customer. I shouldn't have to work harder than Sprint to fix my phone after they broke it with a bug-ridden update (EB13). They should fix it and the fix should be fast and shouldn't require effort on my part. I DON'T WANT TO ROOT AND I DON' onT WANT TO FLASH ANYTHING ON MY OWN. I don't have the time or energy to teach myself how to fix something that Sprint broke. I paid them for the phone and I'm paying for service.

My phone crashes randomly ad sometimes requires resets via pulling the battery. Apps force close at the worst times regularly. Entering text in text boxes on any browsre is a nightmare. Even now. Can't see what I'm writing as I write it.

These issues didn't exist before Sprint pushed EB13 onto my phone. Others who are stuck with EB13 complain of the same issues no matter whether Sprint reps want to claim that these aren't "known issues" or not. Denial is a wonderful way to anger customers who are experiencing issues that your company caused.

If this isn't fixed I'm holding Sprint responsible and I doubt I'm alone in this.

So, call me lazy and whiny all you want. Sprint screwed up my phone and I deserve a quick and easy fix.

Journeyman

I had a fun day with Sprint today.  First, I called Customer Service.  They told me that i went to the wrong sprint store to get the update.  They said I had to go to a "Corporate Store".  So, I went to the corporate store and asked if they had the update from EB13 to EC05.  They said no and that they have pulled the EC05 update because it has major problems too (I don't think this guy knew what he was talking about and wanted me to leave because they were closing in 30 minutes and had a bunch of customers).  I left and immediately got on the phone with Customer Care.  They told me that there is not an update from EB13 to EC05 because they have not received it from Samsung.  They said that there is no way for them to send you back to the old update either.  I told her that it was unacceptable and that they as Sprint needed to do something about the customer service part.  I told them that I could not have a phone that I only get 3 hours out of the battery.  She went to talk to a supervisor.  When she came back she said she was informed that none of the side effects of the updates were battery related (obviously they have not read any of these posts as many people say the battery got worse.  I was also told by another Sprint Technician that the radios in the EB13 update are what are eating up the battery).  They said that since my problem was battery related, they would send me a replacement phone.  My hope is that the replacement phone has the old version on it and that I will get the EC05 update.  I am just glad to see that Sprint has their story straight **SARCASM USED***  I think you could call Sprint, get one story, call back a second later and get a totally new story!

Journeyman

According to Sprint they did not push the EB13 update.  It was Samsung that is handling the updates.  As for a law suit against them, it would be hard unless you specifically have it in your contract that they must provide you a completely working phone without any bugs (highly unlikely). 

Journeyman

Ultimately, the marketplace will decide. Sprint is odd man out right now. If they don't want to take responsibility for the Epic support fiasco, lesson learned. Rather than huff and puff, just vote with your feet. Personally, the situation is clear and I'm just waiting for the iPhone 5 before I bolt to Verizon. BTW, my company pays for Verizon but not Sprint. Easy decision.

Journeyman

Wanna bet? Does Sprint feel lucky? Does it?

Journeyman

Yes I get a company discount for Verizon that obliterates the price difference between Sprint and Verizon. Maybe I should do what many of my coworkers have done.

Journeyman

Re: 3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

LIsten People I had EB 13 on friday when  it didnt upgrade like everyone thought i followed the instructions in a post on this thread and it took 20 mins to from eb13 back to D18 and from there to ec05. EC05 works great and the sprint ids r cool too. i downloaded 120 apps then ran a quadrant bench mark test and the scores were great WHILE running like 15 apps!!!) im going to paste my earlier post so you can update yourself. it was super simple and worked perfectly!!!

OOPS cant cut and paste in this blog. ok Its post 739 on page 50 of this thread...... 10 minutes to D118......... and ten more minutes to EC05

Definite improvement with this update.

Journeyman

Fine. Tell me how to do that on a Mac, even one like mine where I run an XP virtual machine with Fusion. Hmm, it doesn't work with USB in debugging mode. Sorry, if I need to dig up a physical Windows machine to do this I'm not interested.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Frankly man, you're acting really childishly. Android is ALWAYS a "work in progress" (or as you say, "developmental phone"). The experimentalness of it is all part of what makes open source so awesome. It's not iphone or blackberry. If you didnt do that research so you could know that before you first bought an android phone, frankly that's your own fault.

Can you show me EXAMPLES of what issues other people are having with EB13, and what they are? cuz in the entire time i've used it, I've only had one or two real issues, and the vast majority of users i've talked to that have it are having the same experience. a bug with the camera flash, and ocassional laginess when first booting up the phone, and that's it.

nowhere in the contract does it say Sprint is REQUIRED to give you a completely bugless phone... if it did, even the iphone might be out of business, lol. unless ur using a basic flipphone or jitterbug (and even then, it's iffy), ur not going to find a bugless phone. my first phone was a Samsung Rant, a standard texting phone, that had a bug where, ocassionally, if you opened the keyboard, it would cause the phone to restart. Eventually they released a patch to fix it. So, should i threaten sprint/samsung with a lawsuit cuz the phone isn't perfectly bugless? no. i have no basis for the lawsuit. sorry to burst your bubble, but you have no basis either. all Sprint is required to give you is a phone that has all the paid and advertised features intact. This means talk, text, data, 3g, 4g, gps, wi-fi, and other basic and advertised functions are required to work. Never are you promised good battery life or "fast" data.

You dont want to root. Perfectly understandable. however, the method i mentioned using Odin and the DI18 "down-date" pack (both of which are OFFICIAL Samsung software) requires no root whatsoever. And you dont want to flash anything on your own? I'm sorry, but that's just a sad, unfunny joke. i wasnt calling you whiny or lazy before, but i definitely am now. The whole feature of OTA updates for full OS upgrades (2.1 to 2.2, etc) wasnt even available until sometime late last year. before that, guess what, you would have NO CHOICE but to flash the phone yourself if you wanted the new OS, unless you wanted to drive to a sprint store to have them do it for you. what would you have claimed then? "oh, i wanna sue sprint cuz i have to work my poor tired fingers on the mouse to use the simple, straight-forward update tool"?

Im not saying that you arent right to be pissed with samsung and sprint with this update drama. all of us are a little pissed, to an extent. Im also not saying either Sprint or Samsung are good companies. in fact, no offense to the sprint admins here who are genuinely trying to help, i think that Sprint has among the WORST customer service of cell phone providers and Samsung is simply one of the WORST providers of Android phones (trust me, my last phone was a samsung moment and i went through all the bs drama with ACTUAL phone-breaking bugs it had). the only reason i even got the samsung epic over the HTC Evo is cuz it has a keyboard. What I AM saying tho is you have no basis for a lawsuit and just sitting here and threatening a lawsuit that you and i both know you'll never go through with isn't going to do anything. As some others have said, protest with your actions, not just your words, and march over to verizon. if you get that discount like you said, then it sounds like the best way for you to go.

Journeyman

Dronak01 wrote:

I completely agree.  Sprint and Samsung offered downloads of the update.zip file and an executable installer in February with the EB13 build.  I really don't understand why they won't do the same for the March EC05 build.  I hope they'll reconsider their decision and make the update.zip officially available for download.  I'm not too keen on using unofficial methods as long as my phone is under warranty.

The link to the "[Odin-EC05]" thread on Android Central and stuff there won't take you to stock, default EC05.  If it did, and it was officially supported (like the update.zip on Samsung's site was back in February), I'd probably do it.  It might still be an option if you want what it offers, and I'm not really familiar with that.  I'm not sure I do though, and being an unofficial method, I'm not sure I want to take a chance on it.

xwatchmanx, if you do remember or find the link/site where two people say they've gotten an OTA push update from EB13 to EC05, please do post it here for us.  I'm sure we'd appreciate it.  Thanks.

It does to take you back to stock d188 i did it worked perfect took 20 mins see post 739 the links r there\

Journeyman

Dudes take ur phone to sprint in get a replacement 2nd it ant sprint fault they didn't make that buggy update 3 phone are man made they go fuck up im lucky I didn't get the eb13 update n i have gotten the ec05 update its good

Journeyman

Never mind. It just updated after I got something from the market.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat