Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Highlighted
Wizard

3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Upgrade of the Google OS from Éclair to Froyo (2.2.1)

- Ability to install applications to external storage

- Improved Bluetooth device support

- Bluetooth Voice Dialing

- Flash Player 10.1

- Improved OS performance

- many others...

- GPS Enhancements

- Email PIN based authentication

- User friendly tethering for 3G and 4G

- Sprint ID

Important Notes:

- Software version is: S:D700.0.5S.EC05

- Devices with software versions DI18 and EB13 will receive the update first.  See the

Samsung Epic Maintenance Release Blog  or this thread for information on updating from older

software versions. 

- Download and install time is approximately 10 minutes

- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within 4 days.  Devices

on releases other than DI18 or EB13 may take longer to receive the update. 

- Refer to the Samsung Epic Maintenance Release blog for install instructions

- Refer to this thread for more Epic specific information on Sprint ID 

UPDATE 3/28: The EB13 to EC05 rollout is hitting devices now!

Added info regarding older software releases: dshoem01

Timing for EB13:  dshoem01

Message was edited by: dshoem01

1,142 REPLIES 1,142
Highlighted
Journeyman

well i got the update on my phone i went to install a app from the market and a few min later the screen popped up and i downloaded it and so far nothing is wrong with it. glad i finally got it.. i was running eb13 and now i have ec05,,,,

Highlighted
Journeyman

Got EC05 from EB13 about half an hour ago.  Exploring the ins and outs now.

A hearty thank you and a tip of the non-hipster hat to dshoem01 for keeping us informed as to what might really be happening with this upgrade.

Highlighted
Wizard

I think this is related to needing to re-enter your gmail password.  You'll be the guinea pig to see if it works:)

Pull down the notification bar, select the notification, and enter your gmail password.  Let me know if this works.   

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm on EB13. After rebooting, I went to check for the update, and saw it was downloading. Unfortunately, when the phone rebooted, instead of having the update install, or having the phone boot, I just saw a single image: a triangle with an exclamation mark in it next to a little green android character.

After waiting 10 minutes to see if maybe this WAS the installation screen, I rebooted my phone, and now I'm just back in Android, but the version is still EB13 and when I check for an update, there is none. I have tried rebooting a couple times, and installing an app from the market, but no update is showing up.

If I wait, will I get the update again? Does anyone have the update.zip file for the EB13->EC05 that I can download and install myself?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman
Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got my update. It failed on the restart. I am rooted with the stock eb13. Just rooted no other changes.  I figured it would error. I understand rooted is not supported, so I am asuming the only way would be to flash the updated ROM.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just got my notification to update (from EB13) when I went to the Market to update and app.  I'm kinda hesitant to go ahead and let it update until I see some good feedback from users.  I'm hoping it will clear up the issue I've had for a week (see post 638).  Thanks dshoem01, tomdeaver and everyone else who's been trying to help us through this frustrating time.  Let's hope that we do get more updates (ahem, gingerbread, ahem) in the near future, and that they are fully tested from the go.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks, Paco! You rock.

CCALCUT, here's how to update to EC05 from rooted EB13:

- Download the file that Paco posted:

http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/sprint_samsung_d700/20428846d0d6.update-SPH-D700_EB13...

- Move this file to /sdcard and rename it update.zip

- Install Rom Manager from Market, run this, and select the option to Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Then select reboot into ClockworkMod.

- When the phone reboots, use the volume rocker to select "Install update.zip from SDCARD" and then press the "power" button to confirm. Then select "Yes" to start the install.

- After it installs, select "Reboot phone now."

You should boot up into EC05. All settings are maintained.

Highlighted
Journeyman

ALEXANDERSTEVENSON wrote:

Thanks, Paco! You rock.

CCALCUT, here's how to update to EC05 from rooted EB13:

- Download the file that Paco posted:

http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/sprint_samsung_d700/20428846d0d6.update-SPH-D700_EB13...

- Move this file to /sdcard and rename it update.zip

- Install Rom Manager from Market, run this, and select the option to Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Then select reboot into ClockworkMod.

- When the phone reboots, use the volume rocker to select "Install update.zip from SDCARD" and then press the "power" button to confirm. Then select "Yes" to start the install.

- After it installs, select "Reboot phone now."

You should boot up into EC05. All settings are maintained.

Thanks Alex. I tried this before your message was seen and I was actually doing it wrong so it kept failing. Using your instructions and selecting "Install from SD card" and the phone is now on EC05. Thanks again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Got my EC05 update from EB13...thanks, dshoem01, for your followup on this...I hadn't commented up to now, but was sharing the general frustration...phone has rebooted and everything seems fine...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got my EC05 update from EB13.

update did not fix my contacts error. when I push the contacts button I get the process android.process acore has stopped unexpectedly.  This first occured when I updated to EB13.

The contacts still exist if you look into the folder.  Anyone one have a fix for this one?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just tried the factory reset option. After rebooting and putting in my google account info and waiting about five minutes the phone initiated the update request. I am now on EC05. So, for what I can tell the factory reset option worked. I should also mentioned I used the OTW method to get to EB13. I am not rooted either.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat