cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Journeyman

Re: 3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

I have to say that i have been waiting for Froyo with high hopes. I had no problems with screen lock up or screen going blank or phone restarting by itself when i am using it, until the update. Not very happy.

Journeyman

test test test

Journeyman

I too am STILL getting those same errors.  I've noticed that sometimes while trying to connect to FB or any given webpage, I get a network connection error too.  I DO know that my PRL is outdated and needs to be updated, but it won't let me?  WTH? If I dial *2 from the phone, the screen shows me that I need to update my profile to "ensure full access to the network an ddata services".  It also says COVERAGE UPDATE: "a coverage update (PRL) is available.  Update now to maximize your coverage area."  ---- great idea, but I CAN'T DO EITHER ONE!!!!!!  CMCOSTA - does yours do this too?

Journeyman

oh!  And I STILL have text messages getting hung in the "Sending" mode until I restart my phone!!!  Man!  I'd SO hoped that once I finally got this update that all these issues would be fixed.  I don't see that going from EB13 to EC05 did me any good at all! 

Wizard

You're correct, the PRL update issue is not caused by the software upgrade.  Here's a post I put in the Samsung forum:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/275445#275445

Journeyman

finally got ota for an eb13 phone woohoo!!!

Journeyman

I am learning a lot right now, but don't know what rooted or modded means. This forum is teaching me how to clean up my phone even though I'm a light app user. I will be checking out bad combos. Wasn't able to get Samsung on the phone today, and will be seeing what my employer can tell me about our type of google acct... I just get a feeling that this is the glitch...the music turns on every time google tries to sync, and the apps message says they are having a sync problem and will be trying to fix it; it won't let me reenter my google acct info. I thought I told it to stop trying to sync but it won't stay in unchecked mode. Thank you for the info everyone!

Journeyman

I am back home in Dallas.  When I woke up this morning, my update from EB13 to EC05 was ready to be downloaded.  I downloaded it.  I have been at work today and have not had much time to play with it.  It seems to be fine.

Highlighted
Journeyman

AABTreeTop wrote:

I am learning a lot right now, but don't know what rooted or modded means. This forum is teaching me how to clean up my phone even though I'm a light app user. I will be checking out bad combos. Wasn't able to get Samsung on the phone today, and will be seeing what my employer can tell me about our type of google acct... I just get a feeling that this is the glitch...the music turns on every time google tries to sync, and the apps message says they are having a sync problem and will be trying to fix it; it won't let me reenter my google acct info. I thought I told it to stop trying to sync but it won't stay in unchecked mode. Thank you for the info everyone!

First question we'll tackle is "what is root?": To have root access on a linux based system such as android means you have the equivalent access of Administrator on a Windows based computer. You will have unrestricted full access to nearly all aspects of the android system stack. Second question "why would i want to obtain root access on my phone": For those of us who would like an extreme level of control over our phone's files, root access is a necessity. Having a rooted phone gives the end user unprecedented control over the phone, enabling them to have limitless possibilities. Essentially unlocking your phone's full potential. With root/superuser access on your phone you would be able to flash modified roms (roms from other devices) , have access to certain functions on "root only" applications (example: wireless tether for root users - ability to tether your phone). The possibilities are endless. Third question "how do i obtain root access on my phone (and keep it)": To obtain root access, akin to jailbreaking, developers/hackers will need to find a system exploit that enables them root access. HTC devices such as the Tmobile G1 (HTC DREAM) and Tmobile Mytouch3g (HTC sapphire/magic) have been successfully rooted. Finding root is a matter of time, if it can be built, it can be broken. This translates to having the superuser.apk in the rom with the superuser binaries installed. Once you have root access you can continue to flash a customized recovery image (hold x + power on) and a compatible bootloader/spl (secondary program loader) which will in turn, enable you to flash custom modified roms (example: cyanogenmod) WARNING: In addition to voiding your warranty, There are many risks associated with rooting your phone. The most apparent risk is bricking your device. If this happens, Your phone is and forever will be, nothing more than, a brick. So far, there are no software solutions for a bricked device. Your phone will be stuck at the splash loading screen indefinitely. The only for sure way to brick your device is to corrupt both the recovery image and the secondary program loader and the actual rom itself (assuming you have a recovery image that can flash modified roms, an SPL that can fastboot, and a rom with root access) As long as you have at least one of the three items listed, you are not the proud owner of a bricked device and can recovery your phone. It is only when you are unable to enter recovery, fastboot, or your rom, and your device is stuck on the splash screen indefinitely, do you have a bricked device. Also note that rooting your phone will block over the air updates that your carrier may provide you. You are pretty much consenting to opt out of OTA's; you have to update your own phone from now on. How do I brick my device?: In most cases, you really have to try, to brick your device. As long as one of the three safety’s built into your phone are functioning, you should have no problem resurrecting your phone. HOWEVER, the most common cause of bricking to date involves the flashing of the Haykuro “death/danger/special” SPL. A hacked developer SPL designed by Haykuro for the HTC DREAM, the SPL partitions the phone’s internal memory (therefore allowing end users to flash larger sized roms). Errors can occur when flashing the SPL or if the user flashes the SPL before flashing the complimenting system radio. I hope this description was helpful enough for the majority of Droid users looking to root their devices. If you would like to expand your knowledge , visit the xda developers forum. And always remember to USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION! It’s there for a reason, and chances are, someone else will have already asked your question. If you have searched for an answer and after some time of searching, and still haven’t found a solution, then by all means, ask! BUT, ask in the appropriate forum section (generally Q/A) End.

Journeyman

dshoem01:  Thank you!!!  Have read your linked information and will await an update.  As others have already said, greatly appreciate the information you and the other Sprint associates are providing.

Journeyman

my epic downloaded the software automatically and the phone has been basically unuseable since. the repair center wiped the phone and told me i was back to where i was before the update . but  the phone is still an absolute mess. Im very dissapointed in sprint for coming into my phone and destroying it. the epic was by far my favorite phone ever !   They are telling me up to two weeks for a replacement. I understand the effort to make things better but this samsung update has destroyed many epics. I stood in line with some angry epic owners.    One group was handing out business cards asking to sign up for a class action. When i learn more i will repost for those that are interested .               

Journeyman

Earlier this week I got the Froyo EC05 update. I liked the enhance colors on the epic. Took two restarts before everything seemed right, but well worth it. Noticed the message sound change and like it. Checked and GPS now has a true accuracy, not the 98 foot plug. I will now try some of the sites I use on my computer for weather that need Flash for the radar to work. I will have to look for the delay on touching somebody mentioned but that sometimes occurred already on my phone. Sometimes seemed to get lost so to speak and had delays. I will also watch to se if battery life is affected although it was so bad I purchase a Seidio extended life battery. My phone does seem to run even hotter now though. I notice this almost immediately the faster heating up and running about 90 degrees on my cooling stand instead of mid to low 80's.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat