Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Highlighted
Wizard

3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Upgrade of the Google OS from Éclair to Froyo (2.2.1)

- Ability to install applications to external storage

- Improved Bluetooth device support

- Bluetooth Voice Dialing

- Flash Player 10.1

- Improved OS performance

- many others...

- GPS Enhancements

- Email PIN based authentication

- User friendly tethering for 3G and 4G

- Sprint ID

Important Notes:

- Software version is: S:D700.0.5S.EC05

- Devices with software versions DI18 and EB13 will receive the update first.  See the

Samsung Epic Maintenance Release Blog  or this thread for information on updating from older

software versions. 

- Download and install time is approximately 10 minutes

- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within 4 days.  Devices

on releases other than DI18 or EB13 may take longer to receive the update. 

- Refer to the Samsung Epic Maintenance Release blog for install instructions

- Refer to this thread for more Epic specific information on Sprint ID 

UPDATE 3/28: The EB13 to EC05 rollout is hitting devices now!

Added info regarding older software releases: dshoem01

Timing for EB13:  dshoem01

Message was edited by: dshoem01

1,142 REPLIES 1,142
Highlighted
Journeyman

The hard reset has restored my battery life to what it was before....still pathetic, but that's the case with all these dumb smartphones. =D

Phone contacts are a mess, but Google contacts are fine - perhaps because I had them unsync'd previously.  My paid apps were all waiting for me when I went to the Android Market, but I had to reinstall my free apps one at a time....but this time, i left off the ones I never used anyway.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok - you have confused me.  The Samsung Epic doesn't have a SIM card......... so are you actually talking about the SD storage card?  And what EC05 "Fix"????????????

Highlighted
Journeyman

"EC05 fix" probably refers to installing EC05 over the previous Froyo update, EB13, which was pulled after only a couple days.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Maybe I missed a thread but,  when I go to this site to download the zip file, I just see the code,  no file.  Did I miss something? Quite possible for me.....

http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/sprint_samsung_d700/20428846d0d6.update-SPH-D700_EB13...

2nd question. I am rooted and have EB13.  Phone works fine now.  Does anyone know of a way to keep from getting the OTA push to EC05?  Or do I just need to get the zip file and do the update?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I saw the update early last week.  When i allowed it to installed it failed, restarted the phone and nothing.  Can anyone tell me if they have seen this or how to now go about getting the update again?  I am running DG17 an old version from what i can tell.  Thanks

Highlighted
Journeyman

When the push comes, you will get a dialog box announcing that an update is available and sking your permission to continue....well, at least I got such a dialog on my DI18 Epic.

If you right click-save as the above file, it appears you will have the OTW EB13 to EC05 installer. The manifest includes

system (folder)

recovery (folder)

patch (folder)

modem_delta.bin (file)

META-INF (folder)

Highlighted
Journeyman

taaz69 wrote:

Maybe I missed a thread but,  when I go to this site to download the zip file, I just see the code,  no file.  Did I miss something? Quite possible for me.....

http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/sprint_samsung_d700/20428846d0d6.update-SPH-D700_EB13...

2nd question. I am rooted and have EB13.  Phone works fine now.  Does anyone know of a way to keep from getting the OTA push to EC05?  Or do I just need to get the zip file and do the update?

Thanks!

If you're not using a custom rom it'll be hard to do that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hard to use the update.zip?  Is there away to stop the OTA updates? I really don't care if I get EC05.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm frustrated and extremely desperate and could really use some help from ANYONE who is experiencing these same issues with the recent 2.2.1 update with FROYO.EC05.   Is there anyway to go back to the 2.1 version?  I'm ready to toss this phone in Lake Michigan!

Battery life decreased

Any workarounds/solutions besides the usual (change sync settings, screen brightness, etc)?   My battery life last less than 2 hours REGARDLESS of what I do.  I've stopped running applications, reduced brightness down to nothing, screen/keyboard timeout to 15 seconds, etc and nothing helps.

No dictionary on Android keyboard

When texting or otherwise typing using the Android and/or Samsung keyboard or any keyboard (that is), the predictive text box shows up with suggested words, but the only words in there come from your Contacts list. To text anyone is extremely frustrating because unless you correct as you type, there's no spell check, etc.  I had the Handcent SMS app but the keyboard doesn't work on this update either.

Any workarounds/solutions?

Auto Rotate Screen

I have the auto rotate screen checked to switch orientation automatically when rotating phone but when the phone is timed out and when you unlock it, it automatically goes to landscape even though you are holding it upright in portrait/vertical position.  I tried calibrating it with the new option and continue to experience the same problem.  It locks up and requires me to turn off phone to restart.  I've tried shutting down and removing battery, but problem still exists.

Adjusting Brightness

I have turned off the brightness but it decides to reset randomly which continuously is causing my battery to drain even faster. 

Ring Tones and Notification Sounds

When my phone  initially updated to new the EC05, my ring tones and notification sounds defaulted to random downloaded music.  I have manually changed my ring tone back to "luminescence" and my notifications sound back to "cloud" but it will reset randomly to my downloaded music and can't seem to manually stop the music.  I have to shut the phone down in order for the music to stop playing.  Upon rebooting, I will change these sounds back and will last temporarily and then it decides on it own to default back to downloads.  It's like the phone is possessed!

Does anyone have any suggestions without have to do a factory reset which will cause me to lose everything off my phone and starting all over.  To update all my apps, contacts, email accts, etc. I'm better off buying a new phone with a new provider.  How can a provider expect their customers to stay with them when all they've done is create endless hours for their customers trying to fix their phone.  This isn't the service I signed up for!

Thanks so much for anyone's suggestions!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

taaz69 wrote:

Hard to use the update.zip?  Is there away to stop the OTA updates? I really don't care if I get EC05.

No, you have a choice in custom rom to stop any update notifications. Meanwhile, you will keep getting the notification until you do. For updates, I prefer the update.zip over the OTA cuz you save the file on your SD in case you need to rerun. If you decide to get the EC05, go with that route.

Highlighted
Wizard

Backing up your data and restoring after a hard reset isn't fun, but from all the other things you've tried without success, it actually may save you from spending more time. 

I'm working on a document for basic backup/restore apps.  There are several mentioned on this forum that have worked well for others.  I've pulled the info below from some other posts:  

My BackupPro

Backup your device to your SD card or to online servers (rerware.com). Backs up applications (free and purchased), contacts, 

call logs, system preferences, etc.  After a factory reset, restore your device from the backup.  Apps restored will not

appear in your downloads, so to get future updates to those apps, you will need to download them from the market again

(there is no charge to do this). If performing a factory reset to clear issues on your device, be very selective in what to

restore - restoring settings may re-introduce the issue.

- Download, install, and click 'Backup'. the data is saved to your memory card and can be restored by re-installing My Backup Pro after the upgrade, then clicking 'Restore'.

Android feature

android 2.1 has a new feature for contacts called "import/export" // contacts/menu/import and export. you choose export to SD. this will copy all contacts to the SD, and reverse the process after the phn is updated or reset, choosing import from SD. make sure to load your gmail account first after the update so when you import, you will see BOTH "phone" and "google". select google this time and your phone contacts that may have not been backed up before are now google contacts. 

SMS and Call Log

backup texts and call log

after restore, messages whose contacts aren't in Google may show the phone number as opposed to the contact name 

Find apps installed on phone, free or paid

https://market.android.com/

Highlighted
Journeyman

Again thanks for the assist.

Which ROM Manager are you using?  What I have does not seem to work (ROM Manager v3.0.1.7) as I cannot get this updated following the instructons.  The Manager just does not respond. I have ClockWorkMod Recovery 3.0.2.4.

It would be nice to get this done so I don't continue to get the OTA update.

Update:  Reinstalled ROM Manager.  I was able to copy the file to the SD Card, rename to update.zip and follow the instructions.  It appears it is doing the update however, when I check, I still have eb13.

Not sure what is happening.  Not seeing any errors.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat