cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Journeyman

Re: 3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

taaz69 wrote:

Hi robbiedoo2001, How's it going?  Reading through this thread, you stay busy, don't you? You mentioned you are using  Bonsai4All_4.0.0.  Do you know of any other good ROM's out there?  I cannot get Bonsai4All_4.0.0.1 to install. Actually it installs but, runs into the known issue they mention. Problem is, the fix for this does not work. Working with the developer to try and resolve but, spending to much time flashing back to ec05, rerooting, etc. to get this to work. 

Second question.  On EC05, I cannot seem to get the GPS to work (just takes forever to locate your position) and I no longer have the ability to use music as a ringtone. These are not huge deals for me.  I read somewhere there that there is a fix for these two issues.  I have been searching the threads but, have not found it, yet.  Eyes are starting to bug out.  Do you happen to know where that information is?

I do agree that this is a very nice phone and it is ashame so many people are having problems with it.  If it wasn't for the annoying message to update to EC05, I would have been happy with EB13 and left well enough alone. At least I am becoming more proficient with flashing, etc.

Thanks!

taaz69, maybe me using the Bonzai since version 1 makes a difference? I'm not sure how closely you followed the instructions on flashing but I have to admit, this EC05 is a great modem. The Bonsai version 4 gives me day & half of battery life (see attached image). GPS works fine, but I think Google Maps is better. I can't find anything to complain about this phone or the rom yet, but this has been the case since the earlier versions. Maybe you can try the earlier versions and gradually upgrade?

Let me know if you need help.

Journeyman

I forgot about GPS Status.  I'll take care of that tonight.  One thing regarding the comment "music as ring tones is not working because you set the default to android system sounds."  I did not set anything.  This is how it was configured. Previous versions showed the option to use music or system sounds.  As far as going to the location you specified, there is not an option to "Clear default," it is grayed out.

For anyone experiencing this issue, here is a workaround for now.

Go to Media Player

Select the song you wish to use

Press Menu

Press Set as

Select the option you wish to use

I'm not here to butt heads or point fingers.  Just trying to resolve some issues that have come up.  To say that "Most of these guys problems are user error" does not sit well.  Yes, some may have created their own problems however, some of these issues are related to the phone, system or specific update they received.

Let's work to resolve issues.  and thanks for the info.

Journeyman

Hi robbiedoo2001.  You should not post images like that.  Makes some of us jealous.   Let me work with the developer and see what they come up with.  Yes, I was very careful to follow the instructions. If I get the minor issues fixed with EC05 I will be happy but, I would still like to try Bonzai.  And yes, I am still loving this phone!

Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

After doing the hard reset after the OTA EC05 install, i dumped ATK and Juice Defender - installed battery doctor, followed their 'full cycle charge' instructions. Am now ending my 18 hour days with 50% of my battery remaining. No roots or roms.

@joeyroberts2: i fully concur about the illusory green on the other side of the fence. I have a friend who hated the iphone and at&t, and when the opportunity came, he jumped and quickly learned to hate iphone & verizon, too. he dumped the iphone for a droid x, and now he only hates verizon. (and he and i are both longtime, hardcore, inveterate apple computer nerds.) i'll be staying with Sprint.

Journeyman

That is awesome. I hope other members will follow your steps and revive their battery lives.

***joey's story is soooo funny 

Journeyman

@blue_Shift...thanks for the tip.  I peformed a hard reset, installed battery doctor, and am in the process of performing the full cycle charge.  Hopefully, it works and my battery life is restored to what it once was prior to 2.2. 

Journeyman

I am trying to decide whether to update to go ahead with the over the air update or not. Reading all the issues people are having is making me nervous. Are there people who are happy with the update and are willing to share that with us?

Journeyman

I got the EC05 update OTA after performing the EB14 update manually.  My Epic has been a dream since the update, with none of the horrors that have been described in this forum.  I did have a bit of lagginess in the adjustment of the screen rotation, but there was a fix in this forum that removed the issue.

My phone is not rooted and I have no interest in doing so.  Beyond that, all is good...

Journeyman

The 2.2.1 Upgrade is overall very good. There are a few issues  ( uses more battery ) and I have had about 1/2 dozen dropped calls ( first time in over one year ). I run an application that I copy things from my PC to the Epic 4G phone and I did have an issue with the old driver I was using with the upgraded OS. If I had it to do all over again...I WOULD do the upgrade!

I am looking for info on the new Viper Rom with the Epic. It looks great but I am certain that there are some issues with it as well. The EC05 is the modem files and I have not found it to be enough of an issue to try any others.

The enhancements far out way the suttle issues that are being discussed here. I upgraded my SD card to 32 from the stock 16 and you can now moves apps to the card instead of chewing up the phone resources. There is no perfect phone, perfect OS and Sprint will NEVER make everyone happy. Don't cheat yourself...do the upgrade.

Journeyman

Hi Omid11,

I am not unhappy with my update, but my phone does now have some minor issues as a result of the update.  I never had EB13, just regular stock DI18 and I upgraded to EC05. The only problem my phone had before the update was that email would never work, nor would the LED. Gmail was fine, but I could never get my yahoo and hotmail accounts to work through the stock email. No big problem because I could always use the phone's internet to check my email accounts. The only other minor issue I had with the phone before the update was that the LED light to indicate missed texts/calls only blinked 5.5 times and then would stop. Not a big deal for me because I found an app that worked.

Post EC05 update, my isses are still minor but there are more of them. They are:

1. Email still doesn't work.

2. LED notification for missed texts/calls still doesn't blink past 5.5 times.

3. GPS (Sprint Navigation) is very slow to get a signal. Before the update it worked like a dream, as good as any device meant specifically for GPS;now it's not so great. However, Navigation, which is Googles GPS still works ok. But I happened to really like the Sprint Navigation GPS better than Google's before the update, now not so much.

4. Checkerboarding screen whenever something is loading while on the internet or while I'm changing the size of the screen/font, which I hear is a pixelation problem.

5. Auto-rotation was hypersensitive, so I calibrated, and since calibrating now my home screens will not auto-rotate unless I have the manual keyboard open.

6. Sometimes numbers I tap while on a call, or other things I tap, are not as responsive as before.  It can sometimes take a few taps.

7. Removal of 'Speak Caller ID' for my phone calls. But this is not a phone problem, they just removed it with the update, but I really liked it so I have to throw that in there. LOL

Again, these are all minor issues for me.  I'm most devastated by my once wonderful Sprint Navigation GPS now being a drag, and the removal of Speak Caller ID, but the Epic at least has Google's GPS (Navigation) as a back-up and I can get an app for the latter, it's just an app will not work as well. Those are all the of issues I can think of off the top of my head as a result of the EC05 update.

I do, however, feel bad for those people whose phones were extremely messed up as a result of this update. I don't know why some work and some don't, but I don't believe all of it is a result of user error. It kind of seems like a cr@p shoot (odd, this site censored that word so I had to change the spelling) on whether the update will benefit or hurt one's phone.

Journeyman

ghyork wrote:

The 2.2.1 Upgrade is overall very good. There are a few issues  ( uses more battery ) and I have had about 1/2 dozen dropped calls ( first time in over one year ). I run an application that I copy things from my PC to the Epic 4G phone and I did have an issue with the old driver I was using with the upgraded OS. If I had it to do all over again...I WOULD do the upgrade!

I am looking for info on the new Viper Rom with the Epic. It looks great but I am certain that there are some issues with it as well. The EC05 is the modem files and I have not found it to be enough of an issue to try any others.

The enhancements far out way the suttle issues that are being discussed here. I upgraded my SD card to 32 from the stock 16 and you can now moves apps to the card instead of chewing up the phone resources. There is no perfect phone, perfect OS and Sprint will NEVER make everyone happy. Don't cheat yourself...do the upgrade.

Maybe you can follow blue-Shift's advice and see if you can get a better battery life for you phone. Yes, it is an awesome device and I'm glad you're enjoying it. I just hope everyone aligns with that happiness somehow (with our help or Sprint's).

Journeyman

Thanks for posting this issue. I thought I was the only one with it as well. My Sprint store told me it could be that I have too many apps on my phone and storage used up. I deleted a lot of apps and had also cleared out my msgs, txt & voicemail and anything else using up the memory. Still, I get freezing, swipe issues and the black screen. I hope we can get this fixed soon. I love my Epic.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat