Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Highlighted
Wizard

3/21 - Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Samsung Epic Maintenance Release (Android 2.2) - EC05

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Upgrade of the Google OS from Éclair to Froyo (2.2.1)

- Ability to install applications to external storage

- Improved Bluetooth device support

- Bluetooth Voice Dialing

- Flash Player 10.1

- Improved OS performance

- many others...

- GPS Enhancements

- Email PIN based authentication

- User friendly tethering for 3G and 4G

- Sprint ID

Important Notes:

- Software version is: S:D700.0.5S.EC05

- Devices with software versions DI18 and EB13 will receive the update first.  See the

Samsung Epic Maintenance Release Blog  or this thread for information on updating from older

software versions. 

- Download and install time is approximately 10 minutes

- Released in stages with 100% of devices having received the update within 4 days.  Devices

on releases other than DI18 or EB13 may take longer to receive the update. 

- Refer to the Samsung Epic Maintenance Release blog for install instructions

- Refer to this thread for more Epic specific information on Sprint ID 

UPDATE 3/28: The EB13 to EC05 rollout is hitting devices now!

Added info regarding older software releases: dshoem01

Timing for EB13:  dshoem01

Message was edited by: dshoem01

1,142 REPLIES 1,142
Highlighted
Journeyman

UCMORRIS1016, thank you. But how are you getting it to copy more than just one word? I want to copy several lines but it only seems to copy one word. It's also very iffy on whether the copy, zoom, share window pops up.

Edited to add: Oh nevermind, I figured it out.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

From the main blog post updated at

Mar 25, 2011 3:28 PM

Timing for EB13:  dshoem01

UPDATE: The OTA push for EB13 users has been started and should reach your

devices today.  If you haven't yet received the push, please be patient -

there are a lot of devices in the queue to receive the EC05 update. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Before the update there was an option in settings to have your phone speak the Caller ID for phone calls instead of using a ringer, but I no longer see that option.  Has anyone found it or has that option also been completely removed with the EC05 update?  I know I can get an app to do it, but I don't want to, I want the option I had before of choosing this setting on my phone. Anyone know if it's still possible?

Highlighted
Journeyman

So, I'm not the only person still waiting for the update? Running EB13 right now. Sanservice has been running in the background all day, and killing my battery;phone nearly died only 4 hours after a full charge. Dshoem01 can you find out for us what SanSevice is please?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is anyone seeing that once you download the 2.2 firmwareupdate it eliminates your ability to get email from exchange servers due to security protocols 2.2 puts in place?  My friend just spent 4 hours at the sprint store and they have no solutions.  Advice currently is if you use an exchange server to get work email on your phone DON'T DOWNLOAD 2.2!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just got the update a little while ago. All went smooth. I am having a problem updating firmware, profile, and prl. But, I don't think that's related to this update, as I think I was having that problem previously and forgot to get it fixed. (guess I should look into it, huh?!)

So far, the comments I have....

• Who the $&#!! thoght adding the text message logs to the phone call log was a good idea? I see you can filter it down, but the filter I want is missing. I would really prefer to have the option filter to just phone calls. The combined logs have absolutely no value for me. While I'm sure they have value for someone, I think it's a big annoyance to have the combined log. If they at least added a couple more filters to let you view just calls or just text messages, that would be better.
  • I also think the fade effects, while neat, just slow it down. I hope there's an option to turn them off.
  • Didn't someone say the screen rotate is supposed to be faster? I don't think so.
  • I haven't fired up SprintID, and I don't plan on it. I saw the messages about it and it didn't sound like anything I will use.

That all said, so far, I haven't found anything I would call a problem.

Thanks Sprint for finally getting this out the door!

Highlighted
Journeyman

according to galaxy s support, they say if we have the eb13 build we will recieve the update, just taking a little bit longer

Highlighted
Journeyman

My email never worked right on my phone before the update. I was hoping after the update it would get better, but it still doesn't work, so I just don't use it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I knew about the Exchange email issue before the update, as my Galaxy Tab has 2.2 ad I get work email on it and saw the issue there.

Some third party apps (I use TouchDown) will actually tell you what level of remote access the server wants. I'm one who refuses to blindly grant remote access to my personal device for the company to accidently wipe my phone, and I wanted to see what permissions they really wanted. If you use the built-in email app, you're giving full permission, regardless of what they are actually requesting. I recommend against it if you're not using a company device. get a third party app like TouchDown (and I know there are a few others in the market) where not only will it tell you what permissions they are requesting, but it's a bit more isolated from the rest of your device.

The issue is because Android is supporting the security requirements of corporate networks and current versions of Exchange (2003 and later) typically use ActiveSync to manage remote clients. This gives the company control over the devices and allows them to do a remote wipe if you lose the device. This was intended for company owned devices, but obviously, many of us are now using our own personal devices to stay connected. I know there are some apps in the works (some may already be available) which allow you to keep you work and personal stuff completely isolated by creating an isolated environment for the company stuff.

Highlighted
Master

The Epic update to Android 2.2 is designed for non-modified Sprint Samsung Epic phones.  Sprint cannot provide support for how to root an android phone or how to update a rooted android phone.  We simply don't have this information.  You may want to check those "how to root" websites for additional information. 

Tom

Sprint Advanced Technical Support

Highlighted
Master

Check here for additional information regarding the update to Android 2.2 (FROYO) for the Samsung Epic. 

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/64944?tstart=0

For DI18 users, make sure your phone is "visible" to the google servers by updating a market app or downloading a free app or game to refresh the visibility to the google servers.  The queues are still pushing the update notification so please be patient. 

For EB13 users, a new OTA was started today to ensure the new EC05 will be pushed to these devices as well.  Again, we have a lot of Epics out there so please be patient. 

Tom

Sprint Advanced Technical Support

Highlighted
Wizard

Well i got my android 2.2 froyo update and it work good and its nice.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat