cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

Journeyman

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

Thanks AllusMureaux for the Information..As for Xda Yes they're Awesome been a fan of theirs  since my Touch Pro 1 and 2 lolz..I had Custom Themes and Backrounds with those phones through Xda but with this phone because Android seems to have alot of little bugs to go through rooting just seems like a big scary task..I've seen Qbkings77 videos of him moving files and I'm like What Lolz...Plus my phone is only 4 months old I came from a Touch Pro 2 to a Blackberry than to my Epic because of the Keyboard..I'm really thinking Now I should have just went to the Iphone not for any reason but Just the fact that Android phones seem to be soo buggy and if you take matters into your own hands like rooting you have to either go back and set it to stock if something happens to your phone thats the whole reason for paying Insurance on it...As for Scrolling Wallpapers I've just decided to stay with my Panning Live Wallpapers from Dualboot games..I did the Fc09 update I got it yesterday and theres no difference what so ever only if people had the force close issue and now with the optimizer which I don't need or use My Coverage is pretty good and I'm in NY some areas are Spotty but thats with every company...When My Phone freezes now which is not like in E122 its because of an app that I have called Bublble Buzz which has a Bubble floating around with missed calls, sms, mms, etc..it freezes my phone when I have to many things going on like a call sms, mms, or email all coming in..Also this morning my radio turned on and off by itself I have no idea why but it did..I haven't even accepted the terms yet and the box is not checked to have it on

Wizard

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

Lots of useful info and interesting posts. Someone complaining about home screen not being able to scroll?  That doesn't make sense.  Only solution...don't use TouchWiz.  Use GoLauncher.  Saves more battery and much quicker and smoother.  Everything is fine on my end.  No problem-o.

Journeyman

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

I think I will like the optimizer program.  Does using Wifi use less battery than 3G or 4G?  My battery life is dreadful and I like to eek as much life out of it as possible.  Thanks!

Journeyman

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

hhmmmm...I just got this update today (10MAY12) and first thing I notice is that the small blue LED that tells me the phone is fully charged (normally RED when its charging), no longer indicates blue when its done..its just dark...and to top it off, the RED led that would tell me it is charging is now intermittent as well...sometimes on, sometimes not...but the little lightening bolt is present on the batt icon on the upper right so I know its working. Seems pretty odd that this change would hoze that stuff?? anybody else seen this? good grief...

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

EmilyTheChef wrote:

I think I will like the optimizer program.  Does using Wifi use less battery than 3G or 4G?  My battery life is dreadful and I like to eek as much life out of it as possible.  Thanks!

As long as you have a connection, WiFi will use less battery than 3G and 4G. If you have a 4G connection, it will use less battery than 3G. If you have WiFI and/or 4G on but no connection, it will kill your battery faster due to searching for a connection.

Journeyman

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

Just got the update this morning.  Turned off the optimizer because I kept losing data connection while on the internet which is NOT a good thing.  It's a nice thought, but the transition between Wi-Fi and 4G has got to be a whole lot more seamless.  Also, just a few minutes ago my phone freaked out and I landed on the Android System Recovery screen.  Clearing the cache seems to have fixed the problem for now, but if this new upgrade is crashing after only a few hours, I'm more than a little nervous about its long-term stability!!

Journeyman

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

Hey EpicThunder when I mentioned my wallpaper not scrolling what I meant which was clearly noticed from E122 to El30 on E122 you where able to go from one side to another on the whole picture, on El30 it just shows you the front of the picture so if you scroll to you other screens it stays on that one pic..I hope that describes what I mean..As for this update an the Optimizer like I've seen posted already if you live in an area where you have spotty 3g 4g and not a secure Wifi connection your phone will either burn out your battery because its constantly searching for the best coverage it does that without the optimizer also it makes the phone go loopy constantly looking for the network...This Keyboard situation is a freakn pain, I even turned off Swype and the Samsung Keyboard like I saw on Xda and Nothing

Journeyman

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

coasterphotos wrote:

EmilyTheChef wrote:

I think I will like the optimizer program.  Does using Wifi use less battery than 3G or 4G?  My battery life is dreadful and I like to eek as much life out of it as possible.  Thanks!

As long as you have a connection, WiFi will use less battery than 3G and 4G. If you have a 4G connection, it will use less battery than 3G. If you have WiFI and/or 4G on but no connection, it will kill your battery faster due to searching for a connection.

4G always uses way more battery than 3G because of the increased signal strength required to transmit that volume of data.  When I've turned on my 4G in Oakland or San Francisco, both of which have WiMAX coverage, sure I get amazing data speeds, but my remaining battery life dropped like a stone.  Upshot: WiFi uses much less power than 3G/4G, and if you want to keep your battery from dying on you in the middle of the day, keep the 4G turned off.

divermack wrote:


I have seen several people on here write about rooting their phones. How is that done? Is there some sort of tutorial for the process?

As LR3799 mentioned, the YouTube user QBKing77 posts a lot of great tutorials on how to root different kinds of phones, so you should probably start there.  The process essentially consists of flashing a custom kernel that doesn't automatically rewrite the recovery partition, flashing a custom recovery partition that allows the installation of unsigned updates, and then using that custom recovery to install the superuser binary.  Be warned that rooting your phone will preclude you from installing OTA updates from Sprint without first either re-flashing the stock recovery or waiting for someone to make a root-compatible version.

LR3799 wrote:

This Keyboard situation is a freakn pain, I even turned off Swype and the Samsung Keyboard like I saw on Xda and Nothing

If I remember correctly, you have to change the rate at which the system polls the keyboard in order to fix the dropped keys problem.  I just reapplied the fix I used before (link: http://bit.ly/epickbdfix) and it seems to have done the trick (I lied, fix doesn't work anymore).  From what I can see on xda, the fix is supposed to be built in to later kernels, but so much for that...

Journeyman

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

After the last software update I lost all my email accounts and my voicemail perpetually came out of my speakerphone. I finally got my epic 4G working halfway decently and now I am really hesitant to apply this update prior to finding out all the issues with it. Is there anyway to turn off the annoying popup alert telling you to install the update? Even when I click on "install later" the reminder pops up a few minutes later. Thanks

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

I received the update to my phone successfully and have had no issues in the last 24 hours.  However, my wife said her phone told her to do an update, she says she did it, but still has EL30.  I'm guessing her install failed for some reason.  Maybe it will prompt her again, or perhaps I'll have to, if she received the update.zip, force it to try again.

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

AllusMureaux wrote:

coasterphotos wrote:

EmilyTheChef wrote:

I think I will like the optimizer program.  Does using Wifi use less battery than 3G or 4G?  My battery life is dreadful and I like to eek as much life out of it as possible.  Thanks!

As long as you have a connection, WiFi will use less battery than 3G and 4G. If you have a 4G connection, it will use less battery than 3G. If you have WiFI and/or 4G on but no connection, it will kill your battery faster due to searching for a connection.

4G always uses way more battery than 3G because of the increased signal strength required to transmit that volume of data.  When I've turned on my 4G in Oakland or San Francisco, both of which have WiMAX coverage, sure I get amazing data speeds, but my remaining battery life dropped like a stone.  Upshot: WiFi uses much less power than 3G/4G, and if you want to keep your battery from dying on you in the middle of the day, keep the 4G turned off.

I've seen completely the opposite. I have a strong 4G signal at work and if I left 4G on all day while at work, I usually would have 10-15% more battery left at the end of the work day than had I left it on 3G.

Journeyman

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

Since installing the update, I seem to have lost the blinking light for notifications.  I stopped into the sprint store and was told that it must have been removed in this update.  Has anyone else experenced this?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat