cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

Hey Sprint, can you please explain to me what this update was suppose to do? I'm a little, just a little confused.

This optimiser thing, as long as it is checked its doing its thing right? It is supposed to increase battery life or am i mistaken?

So if i understand right using the optimer 4g and wifi is turned ON all the time and the optimiser does what? Picks the best signal, wont the phone do that on its own if both the 4g and wifi are tunred ON, and isnt that going to cause battery to drain faster. I ask because after we got Gingerbread my battery charges lasted a lot longer than they do now. FC09 seems to drain my battery about 40% faster, as fast as Froyo did., am I mistunderstanding what this optimiser thing does or is it not working properly?

FC09 was a sizable upgrade in download for only the optimiser, what else is FC09 suppose to do fix or change please. There is a huge difference from the first post of this thread and the Samsung statement i read what FC09 does., and please whats the reporting back to Sprint thing again, about battery life? FC09 seems to cause my battery to drain faster and I get statements from Sprint every month with down to the second reports on what my usage is, you mean theres nothing else in that to let you know what my battery is doing, you had to download a huge file to my phone to accomplish battery usage statistics, a file that does nothing else and makes my battery drain faster. Please help me understand this.

Lastly, if we are not going to get Ice Cream Sandwich can we look forward to any other updates to the firmware to improve performance, finction and or appearance or is Sprint and Samsung are pretty much done with the Epic4g. I would really like to know as I have options for changing phones, if I'm beating a dead horse i will go ahead and switch to a 4g touch or iphone maybe.

Thanks in advance..

Joe

Highlighted
Wizard

[...] There are a lot of things about this update not being revealed to us.  About that Internet Optimizer crap, it is useless.  It does, in fact, take up about 5MB of RAM, which is a huge NO-NO for the Epic having limited RAM availability.  Even when it is unchecked, it remains on and continues to turn itself on even if we killed it.  Before the update, the phone automatically switches to WiFi when in range and back to 3G just fine.  I never have 4G, tho, so I don't turn that one on.  The update is, in fact confirmed, useless.  We don't want it.  WAKE UP SPRINT!

Message was edited by: mapesy

Highlighted
Wizard

About the LED notifications, I haven't noticed it, but I will try to watch closely soon. Maybe because it doesn't work, which would explain why I haven't noticed it?  Email, Text, any notifications....no more red or blue flashing LED.  If that was removed by Sprint, expect a huge protest and provision added to soon-to-come lawsuit for tampering with our phones and not revealing the full intent.

As for some people wrongfully implying that these issues are not widespread.... Those people are dangerously incorrect.  Most people don't bother to do online forums, such as this one, only the select few customers do so.  And from the look at the posts, the issues are confirmed widespread.  Back then when I had Sprint the first time, I didn't come onto the forum...didn't think about it...same for other carriers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Furthermore, they have screwed up Asphalt 5. It was useless anyway but the release notes say clicking on it will take you to the the market/store where you can download the full version. When i attempt this my phone tells me I am out of storage and need to delete apps to make room. Well i can download anything else i want off the market and seem to have plenty of room, just not asphalt 5. Whats up with that. Now that game/app is truely useless and taking up room on my phone., not that is wasnt already but still, it i cant use it at all i want to get rid of it.

And SPRINT, im still waiting for ansewrs to the post  2 above this one. I am a paying customer so please get off your lazy backsides and respond to some of these complaints.

The connection optimizer will not increase battery life, it will actually cause it to decrease. All it does is choose the strongest data connection (wifi, 3g, 4g) automatically. If you are using it, that is probably the reason for decreased battery life. I saw no difference in battery life with the FC09 update.

As old as the phone is, I doubt there will be any new features added. If there are any updates, I would guess it would just be bug fixes.

Can't speak for the errror with asphalt 5 becasue I never used it but I can tell you it isn't taking up any room on your phone because it is just a link. The actuall app for it and Qik were removed with one of the updates and just replaced with links in order to make more space in the system partition of the phone. Selecting the icons just take you to the market to download it...Asphalt is not the full version, it is still the free version.

FC09 was not a sizeable upgrade. It was only around 16MB. The entire system on the phone is around 250MB. A newer version of Sprint TV, Telenav and Sprint Voicemail were included in the package which total almost 10MB by themsevles.

Highlighted

EpicThunder wrote:

About the LED notifications, I haven't noticed it, but I will try to watch closely soon. Maybe because it doesn't work, which would explain why I haven't noticed it?  Email, Text, any notifications....no more red or blue flashing LED.  If that was removed by Sprint, expect a huge protest and provision added to soon-to-come lawsuit for tampering with our phones and not revealing the full intent.

I wouldn't guess it was removed on purpose, with Samsungs track record I would imagine they screwed something up. Really...a lawsuit over a blinking light?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am not using the connection optimizer and my Epic is constantly scanning for wireless networks even when connected to one. It has made a major change in the battery life.

Highlighted

Gingrampa wrote:

I am not using the connection optimizer and my Epic is constantly scanning for wireless networks even when connected to one. It has made a major change in the battery life.

How can you tell it is always scanning for networks?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Under settings>Wireless and network>Wi-Fi settings  You are able to check Wi-Fi and see the network you are currently connected to at the top. Under that is Network notification option (currently not checked) Under that is a list of networks I have been connected previously that are not ignored. The top of the list is labeled Wi-Fi networks. Every 5 seconds the word scanning appears (for about 1 second) with a rotating action icon.

Highlighted

I'm nearly 100% positive it's always done that when you are on that screen. Doesn't mean it is doing it all the time though.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would have to agree, i have witnessed it myself prior to FC09

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for you input. So, I guess I am not sure what has caused the decrease in battery life since update. I just know that i have the same routine every day and now i am having to charge phone during work to make it through the day. The poor life started  after download.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat