cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

sheesh, I must not rate...I didn't get that email...what date was it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just for the record in this thread, I'm a knowledgable and heavy Samsung Epic 4G user in NYC.  On FC09, and prior, phone is extremely smooth and absolutely none of the problems that others have noted.  Issues that are being reported are possibly due to something in each specific phone that a replacement might cure.

Highlighted
Journeyman

well stoney, I ain't buyin it.

I've noted the optimizer is constantly searching for a connection so I've disabled it and my batt is lasting much longer/like it used to. I manually turn wi-fi on/off. On here at home/office, off in the car/truck/bike commuting and I've had no problems that I'm aware of before this FC09 install.

As for the LED stuff, it all worked perfectly up to the FC09 install. So I can infer then that FC09 was a catalyst for some other ap in the phone to suddenly become destructive and give me HW problems (HW problems being the only thing I could imagine that would warrant a phone replacement)?

Doesn't this seem just a tad unlikely???

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree and I too have turned off the Optimizer and my battery life is back to where it was before FC09. I use a 1800mAh battery  for the Epic touch and get a easy 16 hours out of my phone with moderate usage. With the optimizer running i was getting around half of that with light usage. The other thing is i dont like that the phone it now phoning home to Sprint with the Optimzer turned on to report battery usage. They know the optimizer is going to burn battery ie all the suggestions to use wifi...right? What else is it sending to Sprint, they say nothing but they have not exactly been forcoming here with half truths about this optimizer thing.

I find this LED thing annoying, it works sometimes, at least the blue light does when it has a full charge. What makes it decide to come on when charged or not eludes me. I miss the red light coming on for text messages.I will be stopping in the Sprint store today, i have a lady freind that works at one and see if they can or will set this thing back to EL30 and if doing so will wipe my phone.

Highlighted
Wizard

Fact. It can not be turned off or disabled. Just by unchecking the option does not make it so. It will continue to remain on. If you kill it with the built-in Android task killer or with an app from the Market, it will not work as it will always turn itself back on.

We have 30 days to terminate our contract without ETF according to Sprint since the morons designing the infectious update broke our hardware and software. Lastly, stop blaming Samsung since this was Sprint's wrongdoing.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello EpicThunder, although the application continues to run, unchecking the box prevents it from automatically scanning and connecting to networks, this is where it may save some users battery power while traveling. if you travel little, and have WiFi available in areas where you spend a majority of your time the Sprint Connections Optimizer is likely to improve your battery life while it's enabled.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted

Joe01880 wrote:

I will be stopping in the Sprint store today, i have a lady freind that works at one and see if they can or will set this thing back to EL30 and if doing so will wipe my phone.

Going back to a previous software version will always wipe your phone. The updates patch system files and there is no way to undo it other than do a full reload of a previous version.

I saw no difference on my Epic running FC09. Same battery life, and working the same as it had before. No LED problems. I had the connection optimizer disabled. There doesn't appear to be widespread issues with the update. My coworker has an Epic and isn't have any issue neither are a couple friends.

Highlighted
Wizard

I have it unchecked and in the applications listing, it is still taking up 5MB of RAM. Killing the three processes of the infectious virus will only result in them coming back on.

As for people saying that their LED notifications are working, they are lying. The infectious update is the same for all Epic phones. Its all the same. Its not working for me, then its not working for everyone else. Hell, even the LED notifications for the SMS app (by GO DEVils) isn't working either. I uninstalled the custom SMS app, it is still the same problem. The infectious update are affecting the built-in and Market apps' LED notifications.

I am going to search on the Market to see if there are any stand-alone apps for LED notifications and see if they will be able to work.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The blue LED was coming on when fully charged on my and my wifes phone, today it did not come on. The red LED has not come on at all since the update on either phone. We both have the Epic 4g. My wifes phone updated 2 days before mine did, it always does. But seeing we have indentical phone with identical problems i would say the LED issue at least is not so uncommon as some say it is.

It would seem the battery issue is with 4g being turned on and looking for signal with the optimizer checked and the 4g being on.

Leaving the optimizer unchecked and 4g off i can not see the point in having it at all if thats the case.

A big deal is being made about being able to talk on the phone and still being connected to data since this update, my guess is to compete with Verizon.

My phone has always showed bars when connected to wifi so wasnt that always the case? The phone bieng connected to data with a wifi signal while talking on the phone with  3g or 4 g available? Or am i not getting something with that?

BTW i have never had a problem wanting to keep my phone on wifi when possible, i prefer the faster downloads. I have connected my wifi to most of my families wifi and always take advantage of free wifi when im out. Its the being pushed to do it i dont care for.

And, if when unchecked the optimizer is still running what is it optimizing? Especially if i have manually turned of 4g and wifi?

And..since sprint can see phone and data usage why does the optimizer have to report anything back to sprint.

Furthermore, the links in the first post in this thread indicate some ICS like features where included with FC09, i didnt get anything except the optimizer, did anything else change that im also missing? If i knew i was instlalling a battery hog that was going to snitch what my phone is doing i would not have authorized the update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello, I have the same issue...i took my phone to sprint and they reset my phone...and guess what...the freaking lights still did not come on...they could not even tell me what happened...I was pisst!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same issue...they wiped my phone out...and it still didn't work:-(

Highlighted
Journeyman

When RoadKing104 mentioned in his above post that the BLINKING NOTIFICATION LIGHT had stopped working on his EPIC after the FC09 update, it occured to me that my notification light had also stopped working.  As a disabled veteran, my hearing is horrible, so I keep my phone on vibrate and rely on the notification light to inform me of waiting messages, missed calls, etc.  Yesterday, I picked up my phone to make a call and found 6 missed calls and 4 voicemails awaiting me.  The charged/charging light works fine as always, but no more notification LED.  A BUMMER! 

This "Connection Optimizer" did nothing for me except Un-Optimize my enthusiasm for Sprint.  But frankly, they've been on that trend for awhile..   Adding the $10.00 monthly "Smart Phone" surcharge to every newly purchased touch-screen phone on our family plan.  Knocking me down from a GOLD customer to a SILVER customer because of how they've changed the Reward Tiers.  Now, I don't think any of the reward tiers even exist. 

I hope that none of you have given in to the Hug-A-Tree/Save The Planet bleeding-heart propoganda from SPRINT asking you to receive your monthly bill via E-mail, instead of by U.S. mail.  It will not save the planet, but it will save Sprint money in paper, ink, larbor and postage costs.  What will be your reward for helping Sprint "Save the Planet"?  Not even 1 penny of discount off your monthly bill.   LOL, they really DO think their customers are S-T-U-P-I-D!  

But, in all fairness, my relatives who own phones from other carriers speak of how full their carriers' forums are of upset, angry customers.  But the big difference is that their anger is $$$ based, for the most part.  Lots of people complaining that their bill is way too high due to ATT, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc..  charging "Over The Limit" data usage fees, with much of it over-inflated on the carrier's end.  Personally, I'd rather have a FC09 gripe than to have to fight with Sprint over an extra $25, $50, etc. charge on my bill. 

-Allen in Chicago

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat